The Student Room Group

Has anyone completed AQA A2 coursework? Panicking!

So, I've done all the design and analysis. And yesterday I finished coding my whole product, so I was feeling pretty good. Then today in class my teacher hands me the next sheet; the system maintenance section. And I read it and
"Code that you annotate should be written by yourself and not machine
generated using wizards or any other facility. Try to include the following
Reply 1

D
oes this mean I shouldn't have used Netbeans to generate code for my GUI? Because that what it seems to be saying to me. I had to get rid of it I'd pretty much have to reprogram half of it, and secondly I'd have to learn HOW to program a GUI! I have always used netbeans since I've learned Java so never bothered to learn how to build them from scratch because it seemed.. pretty unnecessary. SO anyway I'm freaking out. I have computing theory, 3 other a levels and an EPQ to be working on and I was so glad I was nearly done with this..

Has anyone had this problem? Do the marking people care? Sorry for wall of text; freaking out.

Sorry, don't know why my post cut off!
Reply 2
The whole idea of that is that they want to see you code everything by yourself and not use wizards that have auto generated code. For applications created using VB.NET, C# or even Java applications, not using the UI generated code is silly. My teacher had us create the controls by hand.

I on the other hand was not going to do that, so I wrote a program that took the generated code and cleaned it up so it didn't look like I used generated code, therefore making it look like I wrote it by hand. It's a gray area that needs to be discussed further. It's absolutely ridiculous to expect people to code the UI controls by hand for languages like VB.NET, C#, Java, C++(using QT framework). Drag and drop was created for a reason.

I wouldn't be worrying at this point, this time last year, the people in my class where still on their Analysis/Design at this point ahah.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thankyou for your reply :smile: it does seem a bit silly that in the whole project i have just heard about this now! I'll have to discuss it with my teacher but i know ill struggle for time if i have to edit or recode. Hopefully theyll just knock some marks off or something if its not allowed
Im planning on starting my coding at christmas. That gives me like 2 months for everything before my tutor wants it done by. I hope i wont be too rushed. I feel quite confident i have the time. Also it might be worth noting that i am the only student in my college taking this course so i have one to one tuition so although my tutor cannot help me with the actual work he can make sure i am keeping to time.

OP, when does yours need to be completed by?
Reply 5
Unfortunately this is the first year my college has run this course so my teacher is a bit un knowledgeable about the whole thing. I think the deadline we have for the whole thing is April, however the coding is only one of 6 sections and most of the coursework seems to comprise of really tedious documentation.. I'm going to have to rewrite quite a bit of the analysis as obviously whilst I was coding it I got new ideas and adapted my original plan :P
It's a shame that computing seems to have a poor turn out! Over 15 people did the AS and there are 3 of us left doing the A2!
?????

You're moving far too fast, it isn't due for a very long time - you can chillax

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending