The Student Room Group

Retake A-levels

Hi. Do you know if you can retake some of the units from the A-levels. I am currently first year student in LondonMet and was wondering if I can retake some of the units from my A-leves and go to a better uni. I have CDD due to some problems at the end of my second year. I really want to move. Do you think it's possible. Any suggestions are wellcome.

Thanks
Reply 1
Might be a good idea to spell A level right (thread title!!) before taking them lol jks :p:
Im sure you can retake but it will be a lot of effort!
Reply 2
I think you're underestimating the amount of time and effort that goes into getting a good A-level grade. Espicially in the more content heavy/tradionally more difficult subjects.
Reply 3
:P thanks for the correction :P

Yes I know that it won't be easy but I can't think of any other way. Do you think that if I get good passes in my first year I can move to another uni based on those graden not on the A-levels one.

Thnaks. I do not really understand the UK education system :P:P:P
Reply 4
john171
I think you're underestimating the amount of time and effort that goes into getting a good A-level grade. Espicially in the more content heavy/tradionally more difficult subjects.

she has already done a levels so i'm sure she can improve her grades by retaking a couple of units. I don't see the problem with the time there is still over a month before the exams.
Reply 5
I would speak to your tutor at university to clarify your options. And possibly e-mail some other universities and ask if they could give you advice on your situation.
As someone pointed out in your other thread, you can't just resit modules, you'd have to resit the whole A-levels, because your grades are cashed in.
Reply 7
kellywood_5
As someone pointed out in your other thread, you can't just resit modules, you'd have to resit the whole A-levels, because your grades are cashed in.

oops didn't know that.
Is it the same if you want to take a year gap to improve ur grades in case you missed a grade.
There is only 2 unis i want to go to and I was thinking of retaking if I don't get in. Is this possible or do i have to sit the whole a levels?

thanks
Reply 8
gerrard02
oops didn't know that.
Is it the same if you want to take a year gap to improve ur grades in case you missed a grade.
There is only 2 unis i want to go to and I was thinking of retaking if I don't get in. Is this possible or do i have to sit the whole a levels?

thanks

Yes, you just have to not cash in your grades. If you don't cash in your A-level though officially you don't have a grade for it, but you can re-take specific modules whilst retaining the marks for your other modules. Once you've retaken the year, reapplied through ucas and hopefully improved your grades you then cash in your A-levels and you're on your way!

For the OP though it's far too late to do that, they'll have to retake the whole two years.
Reply 9
Morgan141
Yes, you just have to not cash in your grades. If you don't cash in your A-level though officially you don't have a grade for it, but you can re-take specific modules whilst retaining the marks for your other modules. Once you've retaken the year, reapplied through ucas and hopefully improved your grades you then cash in your A-levels and you're on your way!

For the OP though it's far too late to do that, they'll have to retake the whole two years.

thanks for your help. And are top unis usually against giving offers when they know that someone has done his a levels in 3 years? Or that shouldn't be a problem?

thanks
Well, I doubt it, but you might be able to do a late decline (i.e. send the certificates back). This is what I did (but it was only a few months late). My exam officer had to write a formal letter to edexcel to explain why the decline was late. Luckily it was accepted. But you have to pay £30 for it.

Also check the syllabus as I know that the science A-levels are being restructured for the 2008 exams.
gerrard02
thanks for your help. And are top unis usually against giving offers when they know that someone has done his a levels in 3 years? Or that shouldn't be a problem?

thanks

It depends on the course. The ultra competitive ones like medicine and law sometimes state that grades have to be obtained within the standard 2 years, but for most courses it shouldn't be a major probem, especially if you got reasonabe grades the first time and are only resitting a few modules.
Reply 12
If you retake after a year at a uni it would be like regressing three years. Your 200 points(CDD) still could get into a lot of okay places..just not Law, English etc. Places like Herts or Coventry have media production courses needing only180-220 for example. I think you should think hard and see a career advisor because this is a big decision for your future.

Latest