The Student Room Group

A-Level Selection Help Please!

Hi, I'm currently deciding what A-Levels to take at my Sixth Form and I'm struggling a bit on what to choose. I have heard and read, that lots of universities look for 2 facilitating subjects, which is definitely negatively influencing my decision.
For my GCSEs (of which I haven't actually taken my exams for yet but am predicted A and A* in everything), I have: English Literature, English Language, Core Science, Additional Science (double science basically), Maths, Statistics, ICT, RE, Media Studies, French and Textiles.
For A-Levels I have been looking at choosing more English based subjects as that is what I am good at, and have a decision between:
Psychology (seems interesting but is it boring?)
English Literature
Textiles (definitely doing this so don't tell me not too😂)
Philosophy and Ethics
Biology (however the teacher is a bit crap, and I've heard lots of students have to teach themselves the course)

I don't know what I want to do at Uni and want to keep my options open, and am aware that only Biology and English Lit are facilitating subjects. What do you think I should do, and what would be the best combo? Does anyone have any experience of these A-Levels that you could tell me about?
Thank you in advance for any replies xx
Original post by n4vyblue
Hi, I'm currently deciding what A-Levels to take at my Sixth Form and I'm struggling a bit on what to choose. I have heard and read, that lots of universities look for 2 facilitating subjects, which is definitely negatively influencing my decision.
For my GCSEs (of which I haven't actually taken my exams for yet but am predicted A and A* in everything), I have: English Literature, English Language, Core Science, Additional Science (double science basically), Maths, Statistics, ICT, RE, Media Studies, French and Textiles.
For A-Levels I have been looking at choosing more English based subjects as that is what I am good at, and have a decision between:
English Literature
Philosophy and Ethics
Biology (however the teacher is a bit crap, and I've heard lots of students have to teach themselves the course)

I don't know what I want to do at Uni and want to keep my options open, and am aware that only Biology and English Lit are facilitating subjects. What do you think I should do, and what would be the best combo? Does anyone have any experience of these A-Levels that you could tell me about?

Yes, facilitating subjects are important, but you want to enjoy further education too.

I'd drop Philosophy and Ethics, considering I've never heard of it and universities might not even bat an eyelid at it.
Also, what are you looking to take at university, or what career do you want to go into?
Reply 3
Original post by Mayhem™
Yes, facilitating subjects are important, but you want to enjoy further education too.

I'd drop Philosophy and Ethics, considering I've never heard of it and universities might not even bat an eyelid at it.

Philosophy is definitely a well-respected subject at A-level, if you'll enjoy it there's no reason not to take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
Philosophy is definitely a well-respected subject at A-level, if you'll enjoy it there's no reason not to take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mistake, I'm obviously not aware of some key A-levels:colonhash:
Reply 5
Original post by Mayhem™
My mistake, I'm obviously not aware of some key A-levels:colonhash:

Philosophy is one of the "Key A-levels" (when applying, a minimum of two of these subjects should be taken at A-level) as written by Trinity College, University of Cambridge. It's well respected.

OP, it really depends what you are interested in and which universities you are looking at applying to. I would've told you to drop textiles, but if you enjoy it, then okay - just perhaps look at dropping it after AS examinations.

Any combination of those subjects would suit you well in a wide variety of degrees and careers. I've heard that Psychology is awfully boring, though, if you're not interested in it.
Original post by celloel
Philosophy is one of the "Key A-levels" (when applying, a minimum of two of these subjects should be taken at A-level) as written by Trinity College, University of Cambridge. It's well respected.

OP, it really depends what you are interested in and which universities you are looking at applying to. I would've told you to drop textiles, but if you enjoy it, then okay - just perhaps look at dropping it after AS examinations.

Any combination of those subjects would suit you well in a wide variety of degrees and careers. I've heard that Psychology is awfully boring, though, if you're not interested in it.

At first I thought Philosophy is good, but with Ethics combined? Sounds like two topics and less depth in each.
Reply 7
I would say Biology, English and Psychology for sure out of the choices you've stated. As you've said you want to do textiles that's your four done. I would recommend trying to decide what your plans are post A-Levels some time in the near future. Most schools should give you a "trial period" at the start of year 12 so if you don't like a subject or want to change it then you should have time then.

I studied/study biology and it requires a lot of independent work and research. It's extremely dependent on your ability to memorise things etc..
I haven't studied Psychology but I had a lot of friends that did it and they all say that it requires you to memorise a lot and I haven't heard them complain about the subject and say it's boring, they've all enjoyed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Mayhem™
At first I thought Philosophy is good, but with Ethics combined? Sounds like two topics and less depth in each.

Ahh, I see. I don't believe Philosophy and Ethics is actually a course at A-level (it is at GCSE, which may be why some people call it P&E). I've only ever seen Philosophy A-levels available - e.g. AQA Philosophy.

(I had a little google search - there is no Philosophy & Ethics A-level on any exam board website, only Philosophy with AQA. OP may be mixing the titles of the GCSE with the A-level).
Original post by n4vyblue
English Literature
Philosophy and Ethics

Hi! I am currently taking A2 English Literature and it is a heavy essay based subject but interesting to take. I also take psychology and it is interesting but they have adjusted the course content from this year onwards. Biology is a lot to handle so you need to be fairly logical and willingly to go over notes and practise exam questions. Philosophy and Ethics is very essay based, but be careful about taking too many essay-based subjects.
OP, I'd recommend English Literature, Biology, Philosophy and Textiles (if you must).

In accordance with the stated A-level subject combinations at a college at Cambridge University, Psychology is an A-level of 'limited suitability' (only relevant for Arts degrees) whilst the English Lit, Biology & Philosophy are all key A-levels to do both for Arts and Science degrees.

Textiles is not even listed as being suitable for a fourth subject, but again, this is the top university - I'm only using it as an example as it should be the general consensus for the best universities. I'd recommend not taking this, or only taking it to AS/as a fourth A-level.
Reply 11
Thank you everyone for all your help I really appreciate it!
Reply 12
Original post by Mayhem™
Also, what are you looking to take at university, or what career do you want to go into?

I honestly have no idea, but most likely something English based, maybe sociology, journalism etc., but that could change, so my main goal is just to have a good mix of things I like and will be useful☺️
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by celloel
Ahh, I see. I don't believe Philosophy and Ethics is actually a course at A-level (it is at GCSE, which may be why some people call it P&E). I've only ever seen Philosophy A-levels available - e.g. AQA Philosophy.

(I had a little google search - there is no Philosophy & Ethics A-level on any exam board website, only Philosophy with AQA. OP may be mixing the titles of the GCSE with the A-level).

I'm not 100% sure myself, but I do know that it is run at my sixth form... How odd!

Quick Reply

Latest