The Student Room Group

Would you study abroad to avoid tuition fees?

Scroll to see replies

I'm actually looking at universities in Sweden and the Netherlands atm. I would defo go if I got given a place
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shooks
Interesting piece on the BBC today about the growing number of students heading to the Netherlands for university. Tuition fees at Dutch universities are typically around £1,400 a year.

Would you consider studying in Europe to avoid the tuition fees in England?

I wanted to do this! Plus the added bonus of already being able to speak Dutch so language wouldn't be a barrier. But due to family circumstances I sadly was not able to.
Yes, I would (and still might). I don't think I would go to the Netherlands though. Germany is a much better deal.

Original post by Andy98
And in England you get a debt you don't have to worry about. I'm not sure how the European systems work, but I do think the UK has one the best systems for the fees.

Debt you don't have to worry about?! Moronic thing to say, why wouldn't you worry about paying back £70k+? Why do you think the Danish or Norwegian student loans system is less good than our own?
Reply 23
All those saying they would study elsewhere in Europe, how would you fund accommodation and living expenses?
Reply 24
Original post by 92matt
All those saying they would study elsewhere in Europe, how would you fund accommodation and living expenses?

Bank loan, scholarship, work, parents, EU grants (depending on degree level) etc. It's not like the UK student maintenance loans cover everything in regards to living costs - at least if you're at a University in London or the south.

I was paying 500e/month for rent, I cycled everywhere so didn't need to pay for busses, Around 200e on food. Social was 150-200. I worked in a bar and made ~600e a month doing very few hours - as long as you're not totally ignorant about learning the local language it's not hard. In fact, I've been to bars in Amsterdam where you couldn't even speak Dutch because the barmen didn't know how (which I think is pathetic)
Original post by Miss_mischy
Semestergebuehren are not the same as tuition fees.

Doesn't matter. It's money out of your pocket.
But when it comes to writing essays, British universities want you to think outside the box. I have corrected an essay from my German friend and in every other sentence was a quote. How does that encourage your own thinking?

Anecdotal. I disagree. Guess it depends on the university and, even more, on the person.
Reply 27
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm actually looking at universities in Sweden and the Netherlands atm. I would defo go if I got given a place

If you need any help or advice re. Dutch universities then let me know in a PM - I have an idea about living costs and which Universities are famous for what

But when it comes to writing essays, British universities want you to think outside the box. I have corrected an essay from my German friend and in every other sentence was a quote. How does that encourage your own thinking?

I think that's more representational of your friend, rather than their nationality. I've done studies (inc. Semester abroad) in UK, NL, USA and Austria and I actually found the expectations to be pretty similar. In fact, in the UK I probably experienced the least in regards to small group case discussions - although that has nothing to do with essay writing.
Reply 28
Original post by Snufkin
Debt you don't have to worry about?! Moronic thing to say, why wouldn't you worry about paying back £70k+? Why do you think the Danish or Norwegian student loans system is less good than our own?

Because it gets taken out of your wage before tax only when you're earning above a certain threshold, and it gets forgotten about after something like 30 years. Furthermore it doesn't affect your credit rating, etc. Also most people don't even pay the full amount back anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Nonsense. In British universities you're a paying customer, you are nursed to your degree. In German universities you need to actually work - if you don't perform, you get kicked out. Seminars (as opposed to lectures) are held in small groups, and essays and discussion are the norm.

Seminars and essays were the norm at all 3 British universities that I've attended. The fact that this wasn't your experience might reflect the standard of university that you attended.
Original post by Andy98
Because it gets taken out of your wage before tax only when you're earning above a certain threshold, and it gets forgotten about after something like 30 years. Furthermore it doesn't affect your credit rating, etc. Also most people don't even pay the full amount back anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Government has already broken one of its student loans promises, and there is every chance future governments will reduce the rate of repayment further and extend the repayment period. But even if no changes are made, the average person will still repay the majority of their loan (around £30,000) - that is a huge amount. I don't understand how you can say our loans system is better than Norway, the Netherlands or Denmark - do you know anything about their systems?
I only came to England because it's cheap (compared to the US at least), I'd much rather be paying £9,000/a year than ~$30,000 a year!
Were I studying full time I would be tempted. Groningen (place featured in the article) seemed a pleasant place when I went there a couple of months ago, and I liked Utrecht when doing a language course there.
Reply 33
Original post by Snufkin
The Government has already broken one of its student loans promises, and there is every chance future governments will reduce the rate of repayment further and extend the repayment period. But even if no changes are made, the average person will still repay the majority of their loan (around £30,000) - that is a huge amount. I don't understand how you can say our loans system is better than Norway, the Netherlands or Denmark - do you know anything about their systems?

I don't understand how you're so worried about the loans. Once you've done uni that's it - they can't change your loans once you've finished.
I'll admit I haven't the foggiest idea what their systems are. But our system works and the only problem here is the government, but that's a factor everywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clomper
If you need any help or advice re. Dutch universities then let me know in a PM - I have an idea about living costs and which Universities are famous for what

I think that's more representational of your friend, rather than their nationality. I've done studies (inc. Semester abroad) in UK, NL, USA and Austria and I actually found the expectations to be pretty similar. In fact, in the UK I probably experienced the least in regards to small group case discussions - although that has nothing to do with essay writing.

Will do :smile:
Original post by DrSocSciences
Seminars and essays were the norm at all 3 British universities that I've attended. The fact that this wasn't your experience might reflect the standard of university that you attended.

Where did I say that wasn't the case at the British university I attended? Idiot.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Where did I say that wasn't the case at the British university I attended? Idiot.

Surprised you got into one.
Original post by Andy98
Once you've done uni that's it - they can't change your loans once you've finished.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can, indeed they already have.
Reply 38
Original post by Snufkin
They can, indeed they already have.

Eh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending