The Student Room Group

Would you study abroad to avoid tuition fees?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

I watch the news; just that slipped through the cracks. However that doesn't make any difference to my point. Once you have graduated the terms of your loan don't change.
Original post by Andy98
I watch the news; just that slipped through the cracks. However that doesn't make any difference to my point. Once you have graduated the terms of your loan don't change.

I suggest you go back and re-read the T&Cs. They absolutely can change.
Reply 42
Original post by Snufkin
I suggest you go back and re-read the T&Cs. They absolutely can change.

Can, but don't.
Original post by Andy98
Can, but don't.

You have no idea what will or won't happen. :rolleyes::banghead:
Reply 44
Original post by Snufkin
You have no idea what will or won't happen. :rolleyes::banghead:

It's a fair prediction based on the trends of the recent things.
Reply 45
Original post by Skyf4ll
Certainly not to avoid tuition fees.

Hello, I am currently studying abroad in Madrid (architecture in English), and all the comments I've received have been positive! People back home find it cool, although some people are a little confused as why I would do that.
Well my plan was to initially study architecture in the UK, but as my grades were not good enough I decided to go to Madrid. Also, I have taken Spanish as an A-level so I wanted to become fluent in Spanish. I can say that after a few months here my Spanish has improved quite a bit! I pay about £1000 pounds less a year then the UK fees, but that's because my university is private and the course is in English, as all the public universities only teach in Spanish. Maybe for my masters I will go to a public uni as it's cheaper, or I will head over to the Netherlands, France or Germany. I think that I'll be sick of Spain, and will desire to go somewhere new and to learn another new language. It's really important to try and learn the language, as it will be much easier to make friends, and you will be much more integrated in the culture.I do not regret my decision at all. I believe that when I return I will stand out from the competitive crowd, and as Spanish is now the second most spoken language in the world, I hope this will provide many job opportunities. I have gained many things from studying abroad that many people will not experience
Original post by Clomper
I did exactly that, but not at Groningen.

However, I will add, whilst you can get by without learning Dutch because the tuition is in English you might find it hard socially if you don't speak dutch because in social groups they're less accommodating (naturally, why would 20 people speak English for 1 person?). It took me a year to learn Dutch but I'm glad I did!

There are international student societies, but I found all the Spanish stuck together, the French, etc. Just worth bearing in mind :smile:

If I may ask, which uni did you study at?
Reply 47
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin

Leiden
Reply 48
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Huh? In Germany they're around 200 quid per semester, and that includes a 6-month pass for public transport.

My sister also paid €120 a month for her room when she studied there. Shocking.
Original post by Josb
My sister also paid €120 a month for her room when she studied there. Shocking.

Hehe, no, it's smart. Encourages more people to go to uni, and let's them consume more when they graduate as they don't have to pay off high debt. German government is getting its money's worth.
Hi, I'm from london and trying to look for universities that has good business degree courses education. Any suggestions? I'm interested studying abroad, btw. thank you, folks, in advance!
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin

To be honest, I think this is an entirely personal response. People can group together in their own nationalities/languages wherever you are in the world. I have not found this to be the case for the most part in Leiden. Of course, there are some people that will always do this, but I have a very mixed group of friends- South African, Greek, Italian, Irish, French, Brazilian, Dutch, German, Turkish, Pakistani... It really depends on you. They also have clubs like the International Student Network, or Leiden United, which are for international students to interact, and with Leiden United, to connect with Dutch people as well. I hung out with very few British people in my first year, but happened to make a few more British friends this year, though they are always in a large group of others too. If you throw yourself into it, you will make friends from everywhere. There is also an orientation week, called OWL, which puts you with different people from your branch of study, where you are bound to make friends with people from all over the world, so do not take one person's opinion as the definite case
I would definitely consider studying abroad for cheaper fees. Lower debt to come out of university with and the chance to live somewhere amazing like the Netherlands--what's not to like!
Original post by Professor Oak
I would definitely consider studying abroad for cheaper fees. Lower debt to come out of university with and the chance to live somewhere amazing like the Netherlands--what's not to like!

This.
That is a great way to think. I mean, it would definitely you amazing experiences with less cost, am i not right?
Hi I am interested in studying history in Europe (away from the Uk). The course would need to be taugh in English as that is the only language I know although I am more than willing to learn another language to interact with the natives (I hope that is the correct word to use :biggrin:). Are there any university's that would be recommended? I would prefer to study in a Scandinavian country or the Netherlands.
Original post by EliteWolf98
Hi I am interested in studying history in Europe (away from the Uk). The course would need to be taugh in English as that is the only language I know although I am more than willing to learn another language to interact with the natives (I hope that is the correct word to use :biggrin:). Are there any university's that would be recommended? I would prefer to study in a Scandinavian country or the Netherlands.

Hi! I'm from Norway, and would suggest studying here if you want to avoid tuition fees. Education on higher level is free if the institution is a public one.
Original post by suhwaki
Hi! I'm from Norway, and would suggest studying here if you want to avoid tuition fees. Education on higher level is free if the institution is a public one.

That's quite good. Norway is a beautiful country and studying there would be good. Plus a lot of Norwegians know English. Do you know of any universities that I should look into for a history degree that is taught in English?
That's quite good. Norway is a beautiful country and studying there would be good. Plus a lot of Norwegians know English. Do you know of any universities that I should look into for a history degree that is taught in English?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea about which universities offer courses in English.
However, the best guess would be the major ones:
University of Oslo (UiO)
University of Bergen (UiB)
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
University of Stavanger (UiS)
University of Kristiandand (UiK)
etc

A quick google search will tell you everything you might want to know.
Please bear in mind that living costs are quite high in the Scandinavian countries.
Original post by suhwaki
I'm sorry, but I have no idea about which universities offer courses in English.
However, the best guess would be the major ones:
University of Oslo (UiO)
University of Bergen (UiB)
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
University of Stavanger (UiS)
University of Kristiandand (UiK)
etc

A quick google search will tell you everything you might want to know.
Please bear in mind that living costs are quite high in the Scandinavian countries.

Alright thank you! Very helpful :smile:

As far as I know these are the only English-taught History degrees in continental Europe.

Utrecht University
History

Erasmus University Rotterdam
History

University College Roosevelt
Liberal Arts (History major)

University College Maastricht

University College Utrecht

University College Tilburg
Liberal Arts (European History and Culture major)

University College Freiburg
Liberal Arts (Culture and History major)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending