The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rakesh1987
Sure, but I didn't say that Cranfield was the first one or only one for that matter.

Yeah I know, my statement wasn't meant to contradict yours. It was a question which I found the answer for :redface:
Reply 81
The Orientalist
Yeah I know, my statement wasn't meant to contradict yours. It was a question which I found the answer for :redface:

Oops, sorry about that.:p:
Reply 82
Tinypic
Jo and The Beast - thanks for the insight.

Rakesh - I am also evaluating my Master's offers in management. I didn't apply at Cranfield, but only because, subjectively, I have a bad perception of the school due to one of my former teachers who had graduated from there. I am looking at the website now and am positively surprised by the fees which are not too high compared to the UK's top business schools. However, I find the entry requirements to be rather low (2:2 and 6.5 in IELTS).

Did you accept the offer or are you still looking at other courses?

On the issue of admission competitiveness, the average GMAT score for Cranfield MBAs is 660, Oxford (Said) 680, Cambridge (Judge) 675, LBS 680, Warwick 620 according to the Princeton Review. Manchester's, Imperial's and LSE's average scores aren't reported. So using GMAT as a guide, you can see that the basic entry requirements may be, relatively speaking, lower but in the end when the students are chosen, the standard is pretty high indeed.:p:
Reply 83
LSE is not a business school, and it will not become one. In other words, it will not offer a MBA program.
It does offer MSc Management, but that is very different from a MBA.

MBA FT rankings are supposedly the best one out there, but rankings are after all just rankings, using various weighted criteria to give imprecise measures. If you tweak one of the criteria (allocating more or less weight), you will get different rankings. Maybe it is fair to say the MBA programs that are robust to these sensitivity tests are the "better" ones.

And also, EMBA and MBA rankings are different. The same goes to comparing FT MBA and Guardian undergrad business studies rankings.

If you were to ask me, the best ones in Europe are LBS, Insead and IESE. Said and Judge are considered tier 1 cos the Oxbridge name carries too much weight. They have obviously managed to continue to attract bright students and professors, and hence will always be among the top.
Reply 84
Hi
Which one is more prestigious:
"Said Business School" or "Judge Business School"?
Reply 85
London Business School is the best business school in the UK.
Said and Judge are both riding on the Oxbridge name. LBS, Insead, IESE, and maybe HEC are better MBA programs. The thing about the MBA is, it's really the US and Continental Europe leading the show. As much as people want to rank, if you really want a good MBA, given how global business is now, you should be willing to go to the States or France for one. Also, the prices have pretty much converged so they're all about the same cost.
Reply 87
Dear Shady
Thank you for your comments. However, because of my especial circumstances I can only attend Judge or Said.
Which one is better?
Reply 88
kamyar
Dear Shady
Thank you for your comments. However, because of my especial circumstances I can only attend Judge or Said.
Which one is better?

They are equal in reputation, respect by employers, selectivity, rigour and program length. The only difference is that -- Judge is small (has 120 participants, more of less) while Said is somewhat large (250 participants and is planning to take in 300 students starting this year).

Oxford is excellent in general management and the Oxford name is very appealing to Americans. You can see it in the student body which has about 20-27% year in and year out. To give you hindsight, Oxford can steal admitted students at some of the best ones in the US. Almost everyone who go to Oxford has also been admitted at NYU-Stern, Michigan-Ross, Columbia, Wharton, Northwestern-Kellogg and the like.

Judge, on the other hand, is appealing to the tech savvy type. And I think that's because Cambridge has a very strong reputation as a science, tech, engineering and IT school. Cambridge-Judge competes with Berkeley-Haas, MIT-Sloan, Stanford, Cornell-Johnson, CMU, UCLA and the like.

Both Oxford-Said and Cambridge-Judge are very selective. This year, both school's GMAT average is 690, already equal to LBS. I have heard that the GMAT average could have been higher had they've been not a bit lenient to local (British) applicants. While American/Asian applicants have to present at least a 700 GMAT score, the locals have been accommodated with a 650 GMAT score.

Both schools are very promising. If I get accepted at either school, I would surely go there in favor of LBS, INSEAD, NYU, Yale, Ross and the like. I would however, not go there if I get accepted at Harvard, Stanford and Wharton. Meaning, Oxford and Cambridge are the top 4/5 in my list. I am bullish about them as they carry the Oxford and Cambridge brand which have educated leaders for many centuries.

Just my two cents worth...
What kind of person would go to Cambridge Judge instead of Stanford for an MBA? Even Said over Columbia is a stretch to be honest. Also, Stanford GSB has little to do with science, I'm not sure I agree with your categorization there. (I went to Stanford btw).
Reply 90
I only said: Cambridge competes with science/tech/IT oriented schools like stanford, berkeley, mit and the like. Though Cambridge-Judge doesn't seem to always win against those 3 american tech giants (stan/berk,mit) the fact is, they're competing schools because they have been branded to offer the same specialties --science/tech/IT/entrep and innovations.

Also, you may check that 4 of those who graduated from Cambridge-Judge last year (alone) have also been admitted at Stanford. That's quite a lot considering Judge has only 120 graduates per year. And here's more, 7 of them got into MIT-Sloan and 3 at Berkeley-Haas. About 50 of them got into top 12 US schools. This info is accessible if you're a member and it's not safe to publish their names here. But, more or less, that' how their students’ profile read.
Hmm...well I certainly think choosing Judge over Stanford GSB or Sloan is a poor decision, unless there's a scholarship or something. I don't get the hard-on people have for Oxbridge--there are SO many better MBAs out there! Plus apparently neither has great careers placement (from things I've heard from former/potential students).
Reply 92
shady lane
Hmm...well I certainly think choosing Judge over Stanford GSB or Sloan is a poor decision, unless there's a scholarship or something. I don't get the hard-on people have for Oxbridge--there are SO many better MBAs out there! Plus apparently neither has great careers placement (from things I've heard from former/potential students).

Good thoughts, shady lane. My opinion is this: some Americans may go for experience that's something not always near them. I, for one, would like to study in Cambridge and would probably go there after my Stanford ugrad. You'd be surprised that the top students at top US schools would break arms just to get into Oxford grad school. The Gates Scholarship of Cambridge, for example, is very competitive and very prestigious. I recon anyone who wins a Gates would easily get into Harvard/Stanford/Berkeley/Yale/Princeton/MIT/Caltech grad school. I understand, however, that things appear to be different in the UK.
Reply 93
hey guys i m from india and have done my bachelors degree in accounts and commerce and i have got an offer from icma centre thats reading in international securities,investment and banking(isib) and also from lancaster in msc in finance now im really confused which one is better globally and which uni has a brand name universally as both courses content wice are the same so...if any1 can help me make a decision i would be really greatful thank u
Reply 94
rushabhs84
hey guys i m from india and have done my bachelors degree in accounts and commerce and i have got an offer from icma centre thats reading in international securities,investment and banking(isib) and also from lancaster in msc in finance now im really confused which one is better globally and which uni has a brand name universally as both courses content wice are the same so...if any1 can help me make a decision i would be really greatful thank u

Lancaster is certainly the better choice. Its well-ranked and is well known for its Accounting and Finance department which conducts the MSc Finance program. Reading is not the most reputable university but I'm not sure about the course. It also seems that doing the ISIB might dilute what you get to learn as most Masters degrees are just 1 year in the UK (I'm assuming that the program is only for 1 year).
Reply 95
Lancaster is ok and I think it is better than reading as a business school of course. But it is not a top 5 choice to be honest...
If you are looking for prestigious power houses in Finance
it has to be one of those b-schools:
LBS
Said
Cass
Tanaka
Judge

I wish you good luck
Reply 96
Lancaster > reading in my opinion eventhou both schools are not very well known in terms of business education.
Reply 97
What do u guys think is the best b-school for Financial Math or Quantitative Finance?
zeramzi
What do u guys think is the best b-school for Financial Math or Quantitative Finance?

I'll name the unis:

Warwick, Imperial, LSE and, soon to come (2007-2008) Oxford. (no particular order) are widely considered as having the best financial maths/quant finance programs in the UK.

I've heard Birckbeck and, to a lesser extent, CASS are good.
Reply 99
Oh ur sooo wrong...
First of all LSE does not have a Fin Math or Q finance program.
Second, Cass is far more superior than Birkbeck or Warwick in this specific field.

The best program is Imperial, Math and Finance and not the degrees from Tanaka
and then Cass, Msc in Mathematical Trading and Finance (the only prog of its kind in Europe)
Cass has a Fin Math and a Quantitative Finance program too and they received great placements this year.

So if I had to rank them it would be:

1- Imperial - Math and Finance
2- Cass - MTF
3- Oxford (prog still to come)
4- King's Fin Math
5- Warwick
6- Birkbeck

Latest

Trending

Trending