The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Things to do in Durham before you graduate...

OK guys, as most of you know, I graduate this year and as such I'm compiling a list of things which I should do before I leave.

So this is where I need your help - what kind of things can you do in Durham which are those "should be done" things? And this can be little things (like for example "Eat a DSU brownie" - though I've done this plenty of times!) to big things (like "Go up to the top of the Cathedral" - also done)

But of course, add things even if you know I've done them, because we can make a good list for people to go by if they like. I'll edit this post to make a complete list.

So I'll start...

1. Climb up to the top of the Cathedral
2. Eat a DSU brownie
3. Go to Vennels Cafe
4. Go to the Oriental Museum
5. Go to the Botanic Gardens
6. Walk through the woods behind Collingwood/Grey along to Maiden Castle (not at night!)
7. Hire a Browns Boat from by Chase
8. Go to an event at the Cathedral
9. Play with the mobile shelving in the Main Library
10. Watch the Sunset/Sunrise from Aidans Hill
11. Full college bar crawl (including stockon)
12. Picnic in the Botanic Gardens
13. Climb Cardiac hill
14. See a performance at the Gala Theatre
15. Go to Planet of Sound
16. Swim in the River
17. Feed the ducks
18. Go to a concert/show in Newcastle
19. Get an article/photo published in Palatinate
20. Get an article/photo published on Durham21
21. Trophy something from a college other than your own
22. Try all of 24s shooters
23. Have a fishbowl in Chase
24. Go to Klute
25. Sledge down the hill behind St Adians
26. Get into Castle bar on 'Castle only' night
27. Play on the swings in any of the parks around Durham
28. Buy and eat something from the Hild and Bede burger van.
29. Go on one of the events on the Prince Bishop Cruiser
30. Attend 3 lectures in completely different subjects
31. Go to the Elm Tree pub on a Wednesday night and attempt the hardest pub quiz in the world.
32. Go to Grey Fireworks display.
33. Crash a college day(not your own) and then get into the Survivors Photo(if there is one).
34. Have a picnic on Palace Green/by the river
35. Attend a Castle Orchestra concert
36. Go to Tesco between the hours of 2am - 5am
37. Have a birthday meal at Spags, even if it isn't your birthday
38. Go to your college's summer ball
39. Go for a meal at Emilio's and harass them to bring you tap water (apparently it's against their policy )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
apparently writing on the walls of the cubicles in the language department is a must-do as well! lol, some very funny messages have been left there!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
1. Write an article for durham21:pcguru:
Reply 3
Armenian89
apparently writing on the walls of the cubicles in the language department is a must-do as well! lol, some very funny messages have been left there!

Hmm yes but I'm not going to condone illegal acts :p:

Agbonetc - Will put it on the list on here, but I don't plan to do it! :redface:
Reply 5
dobbs

Agbonetc - Will put it on the list on here, but I don't plan to do it! :redface:

That's OK dobbs. I doubt you could write anything interesting anyway. :wink:
Reply 6
Oh, cool idea for a thread. I was going to say Brown's Boats and DSU Brownie! lol...

Erm, how about:

Have a picnic on Palace Green/by the river

Attend a Castle Orchestra concert

Go to Tesco at 3am

Have a birthday meal at Spags, even if it isn't your birthday

Go to your college's summer ball

Do a full college bar crawl including Stockton, Ustinov and Butler

Go for a meal at Emilio's and harass them to bring you tap water (apparently it's against their policy :mad: )

Edit: bigred, I ignored that link because it makes this thread less fun...:p:
Reply 7
The only suggestions in this thread I've actually done are eat a brownie and play wth the mobile shelving, I feel like such a loser :frown:
Reply 8
I've blagged my way into Castle bar on Castle-only night. Is it meant to be the hardest to get into because of the guards and portcullis and everything? :p:
Reply 9
Fields
The only suggestions in this thread I've actually done are eat a brownie and play wth the mobile shelving, I feel like such a loser :frown:

You still have ages left to do all the stuff though!
Reply 10
I've looked at that list posted, and it said it's from a Facebook group which I looked up and took the list. Some are good but some are a bit crappy (like drink 20 pints of coke, which costs very little in college bars..woop de do!)

I will add some to the original post in a moment, first I must finish my cup of tea :smile: - but keep them coming!

Abhlongythingymabob - I could write plenty of interesting stuff if I knew someone would read it :wink:
Becca
bigred, I ignored that link because it makes this thread less fun...:p:

lol :biggrin:

dobbs
Some are good but some are a bit crappy (like drink 20 pints of coke, which costs very little in college bars..woop de do!)

I don't think it's about the cost.. it's the £10 coke challenge, which would send anyone completely hyper. I've heard a few people do it before, but most college bars refuse to serve you once it starts getting ridiculous and you're ordering another pints every minute or so! I don't think I could ever do it, I hate the spray-gun coke you get in the the college bars.
Reply 12
bigred
lol :biggrin:

I don't think it's about the cost.. it's the £10 coke challenge, which would send anyone completely hyper. I've heard a few people do it before, but most college bars refuse to serve you once it starts getting ridiculous and you're ordering another pints every minute or so! I don't think I could ever do it, I hate the spray-gun coke you get in the the college bars.

Well OK - but you can do that anywhere really can't you, it's not specific to Durham, so it's not going on my list :p: :biggrin:
Reply 13
i could SO do that £10 coke challenge :biggrin: bring it on!

something to do before you graduate... actually buy a big issue from the big issue lady?
If you want to do the full Barcrawl including Stockton, i suggest you do it soon, the Rocket has gone to ****e this year and hopefully will be closing down so it can get a new owner who will actually do something good with it!
Reply 15
vickyrkenya
If you want to do the full Barcrawl including Stockton, i suggest you do it soon, the Rocket has gone to ****e this year and hopefully will be closing down so it can get a new owner who will actually do something good with it!

Get a new owner? Is it not owned by the DSU or the University? :confused:
dobbs
Get a new owner? Is it not owned by the DSU or the University? :confused:

think its owned by the colleges (snow and stevo obviously) jointly, the profit/loss definitely gets split between them anyway.

but vicky is right, its gone very downhill, and wont survive in its current form.

it does nothing to attract people to go, from the large queue time, the large bar queue time, same music every week in the same order, no theme nights or any attempt at effort...etc etc even most of the societies have stopped using it.
Reply 17
Does it have to be in Durham? Mine would be to go spit on an Oxfordian law tutor for having rejected me!
Reply 18
WokSz
Does it have to be in Durham? Mine would be to go spit on an Oxfordian law tutor for having rejected me!

Well again, that's not specific to Durham and it's not something that everyone could do, so it's not going on the list :p:
Reply 19
Sminergy challenge?

Latest

Trending

Trending