NTU offer holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
NAME: Katrina
COURSE: Philosophy andEnglish
CAMPUS: Clifton
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Peverell or New Hall
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Rock society & cocktail society
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: Rock City & The Bodega
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: Firstly, living at CLifton will there be as wild nightlife as in the city? and also I was looking at both accomodations and am quite interested in taking my car, which would mean living at peverell but how likely is it that I'll actually be able to get a parking psace as it says they are limited? also in your opnion is it worth taking your car?
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
NAME: Christian
COURSE: Information Systems
CAMPUS: Clifton Campus
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Not decided yet whether I would like to go into accommodation or stay at home and commute yet as I only live a few miles away.
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?:Anything Sports related really, big enthusiast of football.
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: Not really looked into it but I've heard lots that Nottingham has a good nightlife and is good for its food. Into my Indie and rock music so would be looking to find places like that in Nottingham such as Rock City.
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: What would you suggest regarding going in accommodation or commuting from home? I've weighed it up and obviously there are pros and cons of both really. By staying at home it is so much cheaper however by going to the accommodation it will enhance my independence and give me that uni experience.
Original post by katp00
NAME: Katrina
COURSE: Philosophy andEnglish
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Peverell or New Hall
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Rock society & cocktail society
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: Rock City & The Bodega
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: Firstly, living at CLifton will there be as wild nightlife as in the city? and also I was looking at both accomodations and am quite interested in taking my car, which would mean living at peverell but how likely is it that I'll actually be able to get a parking psace as it says they are limited? also in your opnion is it worth taking your car?

Hi Katrina,

Congratulations on your offer!! :h:

Our Clifton Campus is further away from Nottingham than our city site (about a 20/25 minute bus journey depending on the traffic), however you can still enjoy Nottingham's nightlife! Clifton campus does have a Students' Union (The Point) which has a club night on the Saturday night. We also have a bus service that runs directly from Clifton campus to the city until 3am (apart from Sundays). So you definitely won't miss out!

Clifton campus's parking spaces are very limited. If you wanted to keep your car at Clifton campus, you would have to apply for a parking permit. These permits cost around £25 and you have to qualify to receive one, these qualifications are:

- A term time address outside of the Nottingham area
- A form of disability which makes the use of public transport difficult
- Caring responsibilities
- Also, residents of New Hall are not eligible to apply for a parking permit.

I don't drive, but a lot of my friends who did drive didn't bring their car in first year. You honestly don't need it, and it can be quite expensive to maintain while at university. I did however live in one of the city halls of residences where there was no parking available.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Ellen
Original post by CWGregory
NAME: Christian
COURSE: Information Systems
CAMPUS: Clifton Campus
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Not decided yet whether I would like to go into accommodation or stay at home and commute yet as I only live a few miles away.
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?:Anything Sports related really, big enthusiast of football.
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: Not really looked into it but I've heard lots that Nottingham has a good nightlife and is good for its food. Into my Indie and rock music so would be looking to find places like that in Nottingham such as Rock City.
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: What would you suggest regarding going in accommodation or commuting from home? I've weighed it up and obviously there are pros and cons of both really. By staying at home it is so much cheaper however by going to the accommodation it will enhance my independence and give me that uni experience.

Hi Christian,

Congratulations on your offer! :h:

It's a really hard decision to make! Also, it is completely your decision! You have named a few pro's/cons of both, but if you are still unsure this is what I would consider:

- How long will it take for you to travel into Uni? How would you be travelling? How much would this travelling cost? If you had a 9 am, what time would you have to wake up for to get in on time? If you had a lecture between 11-12 and then another between 3-4, would you hang around the City or could you go home?

- How much student finance are you eligible for (both if you decided to commute/decided to live in halls?) I'll link you to the Student Finance calculator below (there may be a difference to what they predict/what you actually receive):
Student Finance Calculator
Now I would (this is what I personally did), look at our accommodation guide and choose an accommodation you would quite like to live in. Then take the total rent off of your maintenance loan. Then whatever you have left, divide that by the academic year (around about 30 weeks). The amount on your calculator is how much you would have to live on in a week. This is a good indicator on if you would need help from your parents if you did decide to live in halls/how much you would like to save etc.

- What do you want to gain from university? Are you after the independence? Or are you quite happy to stay at home? What are you friends doing? Are a lot of them considering going to university's far away? Or are a few working/commuting? (I don't mean this as 'do what your friends do' I mean it as in 'will you have friends in your area during term time?' because you have to remember that they may be here now, but if they are moving away, they won't be around as often).

These are the type of things I would be considering when making this decision. Obviously, I don't want you to give me the answers, but really do think about these, it will make you more confident when you make your final decision!

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Name: Inês
Course: LLB Law (conditional offer)
Campus: City
Accomodation: Sandby
Societies: haven't decided
Original post by MedievalWitch
I am so happy I can comment on this post now! NAME: Hattie
COURSE: History (unconditional, already have grades)
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: not sure if I'm staying at home and commuting yet but either Peverell or New Hall if I do stay on campus
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: defiantly the history one, possibly Disney one and a few others
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: I'm not a drinker or partygoer really so I haven't looked or know of any even though I only live down the road :':wink:
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: I do have a few questions to ask if that's okay.
Firstly, with living only a few miles down the road would you recommend staying at home and commuting or moving into halls?
Secondly, do you know roughly how many times I would be at uni during the day? I have a friend that goes there already and she does 1 full day, half a day and then 2 hours on a Friday.
Thirdly, are there any jobs you can get on campus like in the library? I know one uni I looked at liked their history students to work in their library and archives but I can't remember which one :':wink:

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

HI Hattie,

I finally found out a bit more about the History course and contact hours! Sorry it took so long! :h:

In your first year, the contact hours for History will be 12 hours per week of timetabled contact with your tutors in lectures, seminars, workshops etc.

You will also be expected to do roughly around 12 hours of independent study to prepare for classes, do assignments, respond to questions for seminars, prepare presentations, revise for exams etc. Obviously, this isn't mandatory, but is what your course recommends to excel in your course.

I also got in contact with the School of Art and Humanities to found out a bit more about working in the library and the archives. This is what they had to say:

Spoiler

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, please let me know!

Thanks,

Ellen
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
HI Hattie,

I finally found out a bit more about the History course and contact hours! Sorry it took so long! :h:

In your first year, the contact hours for History will be 12 hours per week of timetabled contact with your tutors in lectures, seminars, workshops etc.

You will also be expected to do roughly around 12 hours of independent study to prepare for classes, do assignments, respond to questions for seminars, prepare presentations, revise for exams etc. Obviously, this isn't mandatory, but is what your course recommends to excel in your course.

I also got in contact with the School of Art and Humanities to found out a bit more about working in the library and the archives. This is what they had to say:

Spoiler

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, please let me know!

Thanks,

Ellen

Oh my gosh, thank you for finding this information for me it was really helpful! :smile: I have firmed my place so will be there in September just got to wait for parents p60 forms to do student finance :biggrin: getting excited
Thanks again Ellen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my gosh, thank you for finding this information for me it was really helpful! :smile: I have firmed my place so will be there in September just got to wait for parents p60 forms to do student finance :biggrin: getting excited
Thanks again Ellen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Hattie,

No problem, I'm glad I could help! Now you've made your firm choice, you can start looking forward to getting here! If you have any questions about freshers/student life/Nottingham just let me know and I'll try and help :h:

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 48
NAME: Dominyka
COURSE: Mathematics (BSc)
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?:Cant decide
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Cheerleading
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: Havent looked into that yet, haha
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: Where to live - clifton or city? I would love to live in an urban area, with lots of action going on, but wouldnt it cost a lot of time and money to go to clifton every day?
And how hard is it to maintain good grades specifically studying Maths, and having a part time job at a same time?
Hi Hattie,

No problem, I'm glad I could help! Now you've made your firm choice, you can start looking forward to getting here! If you have any questions about freshers/student life/Nottingham just let me know and I'll try and help :h:

Thanks,

Ellen

Hi Ellen,
I have decided to stay at home and travel into uni, I keep getting stuff through the post and emails about accommodation do I just ignore them or do I need to go into the booking site and say I'm staying at home??
Thank you
Hattie

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Domciuz
NAME: Dominyka
COURSE: Mathematics (BSc)
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?:Cant decide
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Cheerleading
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: Havent looked into that yet, haha
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: Where to live - clifton or city? I would love to live in an urban area, with lots of action going on, but wouldnt it cost a lot of time and money to go to clifton every day?
And how hard is it to maintain good grades specifically studying Maths, and having a part time job at a same time?

Hi Dominyka,

The choice of living at our Clifton campus/City site is all down to personal preference! However, I wouldn't say it would cost any more money to live in the city. You can activate your student card to become a bus pass, so you don't have to pay for every bus journey. I'll link you to more information below, but I think it would be a good idea to get this bus pass whether you live on Clifton campus or City:

Student Travel Passes

Time wise, I do agree. If you have a 9 am and live in the city, you will have to get up much earlier than the students who live on Clifton campus to get to your 9 am (as the bus takes about 20/25 mins to get to Clifton campus depending on the traffic). Also, you may have to hang around Clifton campus depending on how your timetable is spread out, which may be annoying when your friends can just pop back to their flat and you can't.

However, if you really want the city life then you may be happy to make these compromises. It's completely your decision! :h:

I know lots of people who have a part-time job while doing their degree, so it's completely achievable! What I would recommend doing though is make sure that you get a job with flexible hours, and make sure you schedule your time carefully so you don't get behind on uni work.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Hi Ellen,
I have decided to stay at home and travel into uni, I keep getting stuff through the post and emails about accommodation do I just ignore them or do I need to go into the booking site and say I'm staying at home??
Thank you
Hattie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Hattie,

You don't have to let the accommodation team know that you are not booking their accommodation. So I would just recommend ignoring it.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions! :h:

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 52
Hi Dominyka,

The choice of living at our Clifton campus/City site is all down to personal preference! However, I wouldn't say it would cost any more money to live in the city. You can activate your student card to become a bus pass, so you don't have to pay for every bus journey. I'll link you to more information below, but I think it would be a good idea to get this bus pass whether you live on Clifton campus or City:

Student Travel Passes

Time wise, I do agree. If you have a 9 am and live in the city, you will have to get up much earlier than the students who live on Clifton campus to get to your 9 am (as the bus takes about 20/25 mins to get to Clifton campus depending on the traffic). Also, you may have to hang around Clifton campus depending on how your timetable is spread out, which may be annoying when your friends can just pop back to their flat and you can't.

However, if you really want the city life then you may be happy to make these compromises. It's completely your decision! :h:

I know lots of people who have a part-time job while doing their degree, so it's completely achievable! What I would recommend doing though is make sure that you get a job with flexible hours, and make sure you schedule your time carefully so you don't get behind on uni work.

Thanks,

Ellen

That was so helpful! Thanks a lot, Ellen :smile:)
NAME: Ele
COURSE: Fine Art (Conditional Offer)
CAMPUS: City Centre
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Goldsmith Court
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Not sure yet
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: KITTY CAFE and ocean
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?:

- Is there an opportunity to meet new people before starting the course such as a Facebook group
- What is Goldsmith Court accommodation like?
NAME: JAS
COURSE: Law (LLB)
CAMPUS: City
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Gill street south , Gill street north and sandby
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Cheerleading and Bhangra
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ? I firmed Nottingham trent yesterday , I got an email today giving my NTU ID , so I tried to log on to the website it said enter a password but i hadn't been given one ? and now it says i'm blocked out of it what should I do ?
Original post by Eleanor.ridge
NAME: Ele
COURSE: Fine Art (Conditional Offer)
CAMPUS: City Centre
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Goldsmith Court
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Not sure yet
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: KITTY CAFE and ocean
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?:

- Is there an opportunity to meet new people before starting the course such as a Facebook group
- What is Goldsmith Court accommodation like?

Hi Ele,

We do have Facebook groups/pages for freshers which I will link down to below:

Nottingham Trent Freshers 2016 group
Nottingham Trent Freshers page

I don't know if there is a Goldsmith Facebook page for 16/17, you may have to have a look for it!

I don't know a lot about the private halls, so I can't tell you much. Goldsmiths is on campus, being opposite the Newton building, however that is all I know about it I'm afraid!

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Original post by jasbirrrr
NAME: JAS
COURSE: Law (LLB)
CAMPUS: City
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Gill street south , Gill street north and sandby
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Cheerleading and Bhangra
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ? I firmed Nottingham trent yesterday , I got an email today giving my NTU ID , so I tried to log on to the website it said enter a password but i hadn't been given one ? and now it says i'm blocked out of it what should I do ?

Hi Jas,

Were you trying to log into the accommodation booking system or the NOW website?

If you were trying to log onto the accommodation booking system, then you might not be able to log in because the system isn't open yet. If you are getting the blocked message, I would advise contacting our accommodation team at:

Tel: +44(0) 115 848 2894
Email: [email protected]

If it is NOW (our online portal) that you were trying to log onto then I would contact:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Ellen
NAME: Libby
COURSE: Psychology
CAMPUS: City site!
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Either Byron or Gill Street South??
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Not sure yet but I like to keep fit so probably dance/fitness sort of ones!
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: ocean! And the SU looks good!
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: cant really decide which accomodation to go for..leaning more towards byron as its above the SU and stuff! Also is there a way you can talk to other people considering the same accomodation or who have booked the same one?
Thanks!!
Original post by Libbatsford
NAME: Libby
COURSE: Psychology
CAMPUS: City site!
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Either Byron or Gill Street South??
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Not sure yet but I like to keep fit so probably dance/fitness sort of ones!
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: ocean! And the SU looks good!
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: cant really decide which accomodation to go for..leaning more towards byron as its above the SU and stuff! Also is there a way you can talk to other people considering the same accomodation or who have booked the same one?
Thanks!!

Hi Libby,

Both Byron and Gill Street South are lovely accommodation, they were both built at the same time so design wise they are very similar. As you know, Byron is above the SU, while Gill Street South is a street up from Byron. So if you don't mind the noise that the SU might bring, then I would recommend Byron, but if you would like it to be a tiny bit quieter then go for Gill Street South! :h:

There are Facebook groups for all halls of residences, but you won't be accepted into the group unless you have booked that halls of residence, I'll send you both Halls Facebook groups for now:

Byron Facebook group

Gill Street South Facebook group

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 59
NAME: Max
COURSE: English and Film and TV
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: Booked Peverell, T117
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: Rugby/Anything film related
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: Stealth
ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: What's the best way to find your flatmates?

Quick Reply

Latest