Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

NTU offer holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hilltop221
Thanks for the response Ellen, much appreciated :smile:

So okay reading your answer, three more questions have popped up in my head:

1. Activating my student ID as a bus pass for unlimited use - what do you mean by that, unlimited for how long exactly; a week/a semester/year-long?

2. As the travel costs £2.50 per day to and from the campuses, I was wondering is there any sort of 'all year pass' or something like that which covers the travel costs for the whole academic year. If so, where can I get it from and how much would it cost?

3. If I got accommodation on Clifton Campus and stayed there, would I need to travel to the main campus frequently for anything other than societies/meetings? I mean is it normal for students to stay put at Clifton or does the university generally require students to come over the to main campus?

Ideally I'd want to stay put in one place rather than having to travel back and forth between two places but also I'm a little worried that if I stay over at the Clifton campus I'd be missing out on the 'Nottingham city experience' that a lot of students have talked about and enjoyed as part of their university experience.

Hi Hilltop221,

Sorry I wasn't clear! I can answer both question 1 & 2 together. It depends how long you have activated your student ID as a bus pass. You can activate your student ID as a bus pass for 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and 12 months. The price goes up depending on how long you want your student ID as a bus pass but for a year long pass it will cost you £587.30 (although I do believe they have in the past offered a one for the academic year that has been discounted dramatically around freshers time!)

You can activate your student ID as a bus pass by going to the Travel Centre located in the Old Market Square in Nottingham. If for example you activate your student ID for a year then you will be able to use any buses you want around Nottingham for that year.

In regards to your question about living on Clifton campus, course wise you shouldn't have any reason to go into the city site for lectures/seminars or anything like that.

Socially however you may want to go into Nottingham. Most of the student nights out are based in Nottingham, and there are lots of restaurants/cinema's/shops you may want to go for from time to time.

However I do think that if you decided to live in Nottingham and travel to Clifton campus you would be travelling more than if you lived on Clifton campus and travelled to Nottingham.

I hope this has helped, and if you have any more questions just let me know! :h:

Thanks,

Ellen
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by DreamerOrThinker
Received an unconditional which I have firmed :smile:

Name: Ayan
Course: Law LLB
Accommodation interested in: Byron
Societies interested in: No idea at the moment, will have a better grasp as time goes on.
Pubs/clubs/restaurants: Not a drinker due to personal reasons but doesn't mean I don't have a good time. Rocky city and the SU seems promising.

Lastly, I don't suppose I'll be the only one definitely arriving in September. Is there a way to meet other students beforehand?

Thank you!

I will be study Law at NTU in September as well and i also intend on staying at byron
Reply 82
Hey I'm Jade
I've firmed Marketing & Insuranced Business Management & Marketing both at NTU
Im on Gill Street North
Interested in Sandby!
Wanna join: Netball team, ACS, Marketing & Music societies

ONE QUESTION:

Is it possible to be on 2 sport teams?
Original post by _Jaydiex
Hey I'm Jade
I've firmed Marketing & Insuranced Business Management & Marketing both at NTU
Im on Gill Street North
Interested in Sandby!
Wanna join: Netball team, ACS, Marketing & Music societies

ONE QUESTION:

Is it possible to be on 2 sport teams?

Hi Jade,

I study Business Management & Marketing! If you have any questions about the course please let me know!

It really depends on the sport teams training schedules and the level you want to play the two sports at. I would recommend going to the Fresher fair and talking to each sports club and they will tell you about how many hours you will have to dedicate to training for each team/level.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Name: Lucky
Societies interested in: I'm not sure.
Pubs/clubs/restaurants: I'm an international student so I don't really know.

I also wanted to ask, what is the train fare from NTU to Reading and Bristol, my girlfriend was meant to attend NTU in September as well, but her offer was rejected so she will either be in Reading or UWE and i want to go visit her some times
Original post by almighty_gidi
Name: Lucky
Societies interested in: I'm not sure.
Pubs/clubs/restaurants: I'm an international student so I don't really know.

I also wanted to ask, what is the train fare from NTU to Reading and Bristol, my girlfriend was meant to attend NTU in September as well, but her offer was rejected so she will either be in Reading or UWE and i want to go visit her some times

Hi Lucky,

The price of train tickets to Bristol/Reading from Nottingham really depend on a couple of things, such as how long in advance have you booked them, what time of day you choose etc.

Are you between the ages of 16-25? If so you could qualify for the 16-25 railcard which would save you a 1/3 off rail fares. It costs about £70 for the 16-25 railcard for three years, but it's worth it if you plan to travel alot. I'll leave you to a link about more information below:

16-25 railcard

To both Reading and Reading, without a 16-25 railcard, I had a quick look and it would be around £60 - £70 pounds for a standard one person return at midday during the week. With a 16-25 railcard it would be around £40 - £50.

However this could change as it gets nearer to the date I chose, and if you chose later/earlier in the day. I would recommend having a look at National Rail and seeing the kind of prices they offer for them journeys.

Thanks,

Ellen
Hey,
I'm going to be studying Biochemistry at Clifton in September. I put on my application that I wouldn't be living at home, but things have changed and now I want to live at home. I live in Nottingham anyway. Do I have to do anything about it, like let anyone know?
Thanks.
Original post by Brandy_S
Hey,
I'm going to be studying Biochemistry at Clifton in September. I put on my application that I wouldn't be living at home, but things have changed and now I want to live at home. I live in Nottingham anyway. Do I have to do anything about it, like let anyone know?
Thanks.

Hi Brandy_S,

The most important people to contact would be Student Finance, as now you are living at home you will be eligible to less Student Finance.

Apart from that, I don't believe you have to contact anyone else, you will be asked for your address when you enrol so provide your home address and they should update your details.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Hi,
as all of the accommodation is now booked up on the city campus apart from the maltings, gill st north and meridian court do you think it is worth paying that bit extra to stay on the city campus?
Thanks, Alex
Original post by alexjrblack
Hi,
as all of the accommodation is now booked up on the city campus apart from the maltings, gill st north and meridian court do you think it is worth paying that bit extra to stay on the city campus?
Thanks, Alex

Hi alexjrblack,

It really depends on what you are looking for! I lived on the city site in Hampden, and personally for me that was the best place for me as it wasn't too expensive and was on the city site.

Gill Street North is on the city site, and a popular halls of residence with students. It's really easy to get to the city centre and has en-suite rooms, however it's slightly more expensive.

However if you want to save some money for living off, then Maltings and Meridian Court may be better. With these halls, you get a free travel pass, which is a plus. So although they are further away, you don't have to pay to travel into the city. Both of these have shared bathroom facilities.

So it's really up to you! I personally enjoyed the convenience of living on the city site, but if your not bothered about that, then I would say save some money and go for Maltings/Meridian Court.

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 90
Name: Zaid
Course: Advanced Computer Science
Accommodation interested in: New Hall
Societies interested in: Haven't checked em out yet
Pubs/clubs/restaurants: Easily Impressed after a couple of drinks, so any place sounds promising to me

Although I am a postgraduate student, I am only 22, so my question is if it's possible for me to socially interact with undergraduates, since a lot of the PG students are old.

Thank you!
Original post by Zaid D
Name: Zaid
Course: Advanced Computer Science
Accommodation interested in: New Hall
Societies interested in: Haven't checked em out yet
Pubs/clubs/restaurants: Easily Impressed after a couple of drinks, so any place sounds promising to me

Although I am a postgraduate student, I am only 22, so my question is if it's possible for me to socially interact with undergraduates, since a lot of the PG students are old.

Thank you!

Hi Zaid D,

Of course! Although you are a postgraduate student, you will still be able to get involved in fresher week events, join societies and book halls with undergraduate students if you would like.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen
Hi, I'm Alex, I'm going to be studying Computer Systems Engineering at NTU. I'm going to be living at the Peverell hall on Clifton.

I have a question about the freshers/welcome week. I was just wondering, do we need to sign up for the freshers week or do you just turn up at the start of the week in order to take part? I was also wondering if we need any wristbands or tickets to take part in certain events during the freshers/welcome week at NTU?

Thanks

Alex
Also when can we enrol? I have an unconditional offer but when I tried to access the enrolment portal for new students, I could not access it.

Thanks

Alex.
Original post by ADAC1878
Hi, I'm Alex, I'm going to be studying Computer Systems Engineering at NTU. I'm going to be living at the Peverell hall on Clifton.

I have a question about the freshers/welcome week. I was just wondering, do we need to sign up for the freshers week or do you just turn up at the start of the week in order to take part? I was also wondering if we need any wristbands or tickets to take part in certain events during the freshers/welcome week at NTU?

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

You won't have to sign up for Welcome Week, as a first year you will be automatically eligible to get involved in Welcome Week events. When you finish your enrolment when you arrive, you will be given a free Fresher wristband which will allow you entry into non-ticketed Welcome Week events.

Certain events will be ticketed, while others won't be. More information on the events happening on Freshers Week will be coming soon.

It is still a tiny bit early for enrolment. You should receive more information on how to enrol once online enrolment is open (including a Starting at NTU Guide through the post).

I hope this has helped, but let me know if you have any more questions! :h:

Thanks,

Ellen
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi Alex,

You won't have to sign up for Welcome Week, as a first year you will be automatically eligible to get involved in Welcome Week events. When you finish your enrolment when you arrive, you will be given a free Fresher wristband which will allow you entry into non-ticketed Welcome Week events.

Certain events will be ticketed, while others won't be. More information on the events happening on Freshers Week will be coming soon.

It is still a tiny bit early for enrolment. You should receive more information on how to enrol once online enrolment is open (including a Starting at NTU Guide through the post).

I hope this has helped, but let me know if you have any more questions! :h:

Thanks,

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for helping, When are we allowed to move into our halls? I assume it's the 23rd when the welcome week begins.

Thanks,
Alex
Original post by ADAC1878
Hi Ellen,

Thanks for helping, When are we allowed to move into our halls? I assume it's the 23rd when the welcome week begins.

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Alex,

If you have a 44 week contract then you are correct, you will be able to move in on the Friday 23rd September 2016. :h:

Thanks,

Ellen
Hi Alex,

If you have a 44 week contract then you are correct, you will be able to move in on the Friday 23rd September 2016. :h:

Thanks,

Ellen

Ok, thanks again Ellen

Alex
Hi Zaid D,

Of course! Although you are a postgraduate student, you will still be able to get involved in fresher week events, join societies and book halls with undergraduate students if you would like.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen

Great !
One more question Ellen.
Is it possible for a postgraduate international student to apply for work placements ? Since my visa is Tier 4 (student visa)

Many Thanks,
Zaid
Reply 99
NAME: Fiona
COURSE. Early years & psychology firmed
CAMPUS: clifton
WHICH ACCOMMODATION ARE YOU INTERESTED IN?: New hall
WHICH SOCIETY WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN?: ACS , Dance & Boxing
ANY CLUBS/PUBS/RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE CAUGHT YOUR EYE IN NOTTS?: Haven't really had a chance to discover them yet

ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ASK ELLEN?: Hi Ellen , when do lectures actually start? And is there anywhere to park a car off campus?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending