The Student Room Group

Part time job whilst at uni?

Okay so, I couldn't find anything relevant enough to what I want to ask you lot.
I'm in my third year of an mPharm degree and I seem to be struggling with the expenses of being a student, sooo I decided to get a job.
The thing is, I hear from people that they used to work in Banks, Estate Agents law firms and so on whilst at uni.
I tried hard to get a job in a pharmacy but with no luck (not even one interview…).
I'm just wondering how to go around applying for jobs which aren't Aldi or pub on the weekend.
What's out there for students?
I only have experience in retail and waitering, but would really like a job that's a little bit more ambitious, but with no experience is that even possible?
Thanks for any advice!
Original post by banana_smoothie
Okay so, I couldn't find anything relevant enough to what I want to ask you lot.
I'm in my third year of an mPharm degree and I seem to be struggling with the expenses of being a student, sooo I decided to get a job.
The thing is, I hear from people that they used to work in Banks, Estate Agents law firms and so on whilst at uni.
I tried hard to get a job in a pharmacy but with no luck (not even one interview…).
I'm just wondering how to go around applying for jobs which aren't Aldi or pub on the weekend.
I only have experience in retail and waitering, but would really like a job that's a little bit more ambitious, but with no experience is that even possible?
Thanks for any advice!

Most universities have emails sent around the different faculties with relevant job positions available, or some have employment boards/websites for students who want to earn money with no experience and the jobs can come from a wide range of professions.

I am a law student and i get many emails a week with administrative positions at law firms and even charities that we have the opportunity to apply for. On my uni's employment site that was a transport surveyor position up for grabs so there are a wide range of professional areas to chose from.

I know this might sound generic but what about gumtree ? I have heard of lots of people getting student jobs through there and its not all ASDA cashier jobs (although there is absolutely nothing wrong with this as a student job, in fact i think it is a great one).

Hope this helps !
Original post by banana_smoothie
Thanks for any advice!

Never heard of that.

Retail and waitering are experience that will help you get similar jobs which are available more readily than other, more ambitious jobs. What do you mean by ambitious anyway?
Whats wrong with Aldi? they pay like 8 pounds an hour and its not exactly easy...
Reply 4
My nephew works for Waitrose - even as a part-timer, you get the full staff discount card after three months and a share of the annual bonus if you've been there long enough to work through the Xmas/New Year period. I wouldn't dismiss supermarket work so easily. It's still a way of building a job reference which shows that you're reliable, trustworthy, motivated etc.

At your stage, any kind of paid work would be helpful for both your finances and CV. Obviously it would be nice to have something relevant to your chosen career path (although I've not heard of students in the types of job you mention), but if you've tried and failed, then it's time to broaden your search.
People only really get into the jobs that you were thinking of, banks etc., through nepotism (knowing somebody) or working for free. I managed to somehow get a paid placement within my uni's marketing department. :dontknow:

Ultimately any retail or bar work will be looked upon favourably when you're applying for jobs. It just shows you've got even a bit of life experience. Also another reference. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest