The Student Room Group

Maths at Bristol, Bath or Warwick?

Heres my dilemna,

Ive narrowed my selection down to these three unis and i just cant decide which to go for.

My offers are:
Warwick AABa + 2/merit in Step/AEA
Bath AABa
Bristol AABa

(all require A in A2 maths and a in AS further maths)

So ive been to visit all 3 and judging on the open days id say i prefered Bath and Bristol to Warwick - But i wouldnt say warwick is out of the equation due to the fact that it has a much better reputation than the other two for maths (?)

Either i will choose Warwick as my 1st choice and either Bath or Bristol as insurance (Does anyone know whether if i put either of the latter 2 down as second choice i wouldnt be able to get on campus accomodation?)

OR

I dont choose Warwick, and put either Bath or Bristol for my 1st.

So what i need to know is.. is there a MEGA difference in job prospects when i come out of the 3 different uni's.

Judging by the course content im not that bothered, and if reputation/prospectwise, they were all the same i would go for Bristol or Bath (Really like bristol city and atmosphere, Bath i really liked their sports complex, and indoor tennis courts)

any help amazingly appreciated this is one of the hardest decisions i will have ever had to make!!

sorry the post was a **** off length

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd personally go for Warwick based on its maths reputation and the fact that its actual maths course is quite a bit more sophisticated than many other institutions. At the end of the day, they are 3 top maths unis so make your choice on your impressions and experiences to date. The only realy difference will be how well you enjoy your time there.
gregsterposition
So what i need to know is.. is there a MEGA difference in job prospects when i come out of the 3 different uni's.

No, job prospects will be pretty much the SAME at any of these 3 universities although for investment banking, Warwick has an advantage.

You clearly made up your mind: you liked Bath and Bristol more than Warwick on the open days. i.e put Bath or Bristol as your first choice.
Reply 3
Warwick then Bristol. Well, that would be my choice but then, I'm not you!
Reply 4
All three are top universities and well repsected by employers. Which of these institutions you got your degree from will not make any difference to employers. Ultimately you need to pick the place you will be happiest for 3/4 years, although im sure you would like any of them. Just follow your heart.
Reply 5
Go where you think you will be the most happy.
Reply 6
Bath is a relatively small Durhamish town.

Warwick is a 60's campus on the outskirts of coventry.

Bristol is a city university in the heart of a large city.

They're completely ****ing different places to live and attend. Judge on that. Not on what a load of (Warwick bumming :wink:) students have to say on an internet forum. If you genuinely can't tell then you need to visit again. These places are sufficiently different that I struggle to believe you aren't naturally drawn to one of them more than another.
Reply 7
andy5788
Bath is a relatively small Durhamish town.

Warwick is a 60's campus on the outskirts of coventry.

Bristol is a city university in the heart of a large city.

They're completely ****ing different places to live and attend. Judge on that. Not on what a load of (Warwick bumming :wink:) students have to say on an internet forum. If you genuinely can't tell then you need to visit again. These places are sufficiently different that I struggle to believe you aren't naturally drawn to one of them more than another.

Actually, that's an excellent point! :congrats:
I'm at Warwick. I love it here, but I knew I would from the day I visited.
I don't know anything about the job prospects or differences in courses, but if, as everyone else seems to be saying, they're negligible, then don't put Warwick as your first just because it's got the higher requirements, or the guaranteed accommodation. Pick whichever uni you liked the most.
Reply 9
100% warwick. Better uni, better maths department, better career opportunities.
Reply 10
100% warwick. Better uni, better maths department, better career opportunities.

And better location! Oh wait, no...........
thanks for the help...

one last thing - i remember reading that bristol isnt that good for maths anymore and is basically relying too heavily on its status as a good university

can anyone verify this or is it jus bull****? thanks
I think Bristol is pretty good. One thing you may wish to take into consideration is that at Bristol you get no flexibility in which first year modules you can do, whereas at Warwick its almost completely the opposite, you get lots of flexibility.
Reply 13
It really depends on you. The real difference between the three is location and university type (campus vs. city-based). Personally I’d choose Bristol, but that’s solely based on it’s location and the fact it’s not a campus university.

Also I wouldn’t worry about the quality of maths at Bristol. True, it came 9th in maths compared to Warwick coming in at 4th in The Times Good University Guide, but that’s nothing to go by. It’s a good university, and while a bit dated, it received 5/5*/5* in the 2001 RAE.
Reply 14
I'm international and therefore I would choose Warwick in a heartbeat. That's because in my country, only Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial, Manchester, UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Nottingham are quite well-known and are considered on par with the ivys + Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, Duke and the like in the US. I also heard Math is pretty strong at Warwick.

According to some souces, Bristol has a reputation of being a school for Oxbridge rejects, which is not good if your associated with a scool like that.
Reply 15
^^ Because of course deciding on the basis of what some mate of his told him down the pub is definitely the right thing to do. Rather than, say, deciding on the fact that they're COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLACES TO LIVE with only a negligible difference in rep...

Investigate the courses, and visit, and if you still want to let reputation factor in, then by all means factor it in. But don't make it the clincher...
Reply 16
gregsterposition
Heres my dilemna,

Ive narrowed my selection down to these three unis and i just cant decide which to go for.

My offers are:
Warwick AABa + 2/merit in Step/AEA
Bath AABa
Bristol AABa

(all require A in A2 maths and a in AS further maths)

So ive been to visit all 3 and judging on the open days id say i prefered Bath and Bristol to Warwick - But i wouldnt say warwick is out of the equation due to the fact that it has a much better reputation than the other two for maths (?)

Either i will choose Warwick as my 1st choice and either Bath or Bristol as insurance (Does anyone know whether if i put either of the latter 2 down as second choice i wouldnt be able to get on campus accomodation?)

OR

I dont choose Warwick, and put either Bath or Bristol for my 1st.

Judging by the course content im not that bothered, and if reputation/prospectwise, they were all the same i would go for Bristol or Bath (Really like bristol city and atmosphere, Bath i really liked their sports complex, and indoor tennis courts)

any help amazingly appreciated this is one of the hardest decisions i will have ever had to make!!

sorry the post was a **** off length

Warwick is very good; however, based on the offer I'd go Bristol! :smile:
Reply 17
andy5788
^^

Investigate the courses, and visit, and if you still want to let reputation factor in, then by all means factor it in. But don't make it the clincher...

Hi there, andy. Yes, I agree that -- that should be the right thing to do for his case. Good advice! But if ever he considers working abroad someday, Warwick's name carries more weight than the others (Bath and Bristol). If this would be of any help to him though, the international reputation of Warwick is very, very good. Only Oxbridge and LSE are considered a little better than it and is generally considered as reputable as Imperial. But if he wants to stay in the UK, you'd eb the better judge to that than I am. :wink:
well thanks for the help, its between bath and bristol, ive got until 22nd to choose.
the fact that bristol dont do a Year In Industry thing could be a decider, but its just such a tricky decision!
Reply 19
hi,

Bath has got a very good reputation for maths, and it is also a lovely city!
I really liked it when i went to visit..but it really depends on whether you like small places or not..
I know how difficult it is to make a decision, I am sort of in the same situation as you are, choosing between Bath and som other unis (maths and physics) and i find it incredibly hard to decide..

but good luck!:smile:

P.s warwick may have a very,very good reputation, but would you want to live in the middle of no where for 3 years?

Latest