The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer, should I keep 4th A2?

Poll

Should I drop Economics?

Dear wonderful comminity peoples;
I have just received, and accepted, an unconditional offer for Masters in Particle Physics from Royal Holloway. Currently I do, to A2, Maths, Physics, Spanish and Economics; however I am finding Economics a lot of hard work. My and my tutor's reckoning behind dropping Economics is that 3 A levels to A or A* is perfectly fine for any future job applications, as they will look more at my degree, and with my free time I can read further into Physics and more advanced Maths which can surely only help me in my degree. Also I doubt that knowing the second half of A2 Economics will help me significantly in later life.
Anyway, let me know your opinions and views.
David
Reply 1
The thing is, they have given you as unconditional based on the information you gave them, that you would be sitting the A2 Economics exam alongside your other A2s. I don't know if this is the same for you, but at the bottom of my unconditional for a different university it said 'Please note you are still expected to complete the studies leading to your prospective qualifications. ' It is possible that this might change for different universities though, so perhaps you could email asking what would happen if you dropped Economics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by davidgibbons111
Dear wonderful comminity peoples;
I have just received, and accepted, an unconditional offer for Masters in Particle Physics from Royal Holloway. Currently I do, to A2, Maths, Physics, Spanish and Economics; however I am finding Economics a lot of hard work. My and my tutor's reckoning behind dropping Economics is that 3 A levels to A or A* is perfectly fine for any future job applications, as they will look more at my degree, and with my free time I can read further into Physics and more advanced Maths which can surely only help me in my degree. Also I doubt that knowing the second half of A2 Economics will help me significantly in later life.
Anyway, let me know your opinions and views.
David

Totally agree with above poster - you MUST check woth RH that you can drop a subject first without them withdrawing the offer. You are changing your application and you could find yourself with no offer next August otherwise.
Reply 3
If you drop Economics then what you stated on your UCAS is no longer true and valid, and can give the university a reason to withdraw that offer, even though it's an unconditional. You should continue with the course or at least sit the exam/assessments, it's fine if you fail since it's an unconditional but it's not fine if you don't sit the exam and give them a reason to take away that offer.
You cannot drop it as it could lead to the withdrawal of your offer. If you wish to withdraw contact the university first for permission. They are very unlikely to say no. The other option is to not spend time on it as even if you fail it your offer would not get withdrawn
Reply 5
Just sit the exam without learning the content and going to lessons if the workload is getting to much, then you'll be fine and this will be no problem for the Uni. Not sitting the exam however after receiving your unconditional will be a major problem. I'm in the same situation with History after getting an unconditional and will be sitting the exam still but won't be going to lessons now as 3 A2's is more than enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Dear wonderful peoples; I have had a look at the Royal Holloway site, and it says;

"What if I have an unconditional offer but don’t get my predicted grades?
Once you have an unconditional offer from us, your place at Royal Holloway is guaranteed whatever grades you achieve. However, we strongly advise you to continue to work hard and to obtain thebest grades possible, as your school leaving results, as well as your degree, will determine the futurejob opportunities open to you.
What happens if I hold an unconditional offer and fail to complete my schooling?
Once you have an unconditional offer from us your place at Royal Holloway is guaranteed whateverhappens. However, if you fail to complete your schooling you are likely to seriously damage yourfuture prospects in terms of both employment and future study."

Which, to me anyway, seems like if I ask them, they won't have too much of an issue with me dropping economics..?
Original post by davidgibbons111
Dear wonderful peoples; I have had a look at the Royal Holloway site, and it says;

"What if I have an unconditional offer but don’t get my predicted grades?
Once you have an unconditional offer from us, your place at Royal Holloway is guaranteed whatever grades you achieve. However, we strongly advise you to continue to work hard and to obtain thebest grades possible, as your school leaving results, as well as your degree, will determine the futurejob opportunities open to you.
What happens if I hold an unconditional offer and fail to complete my schooling?
Once you have an unconditional offer from us your place at Royal Holloway is guaranteed whateverhappens. However, if you fail to complete your schooling you are likely to seriously damage yourfuture prospects in terms of both employment and future study."

Which, to me anyway, seems like if I ask them, they won't have too much of an issue with me dropping economics..?

Ask them.

It is unlikely they'll give a ****. But if you drop a qualification without informing them they *can* reject you on a technicality. If you inform them and they confirm in writing that it's ok then you're covered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending