The Student Room Group

does my disabled brother class as a dependant with student finance?

Hi everyone,
im planning on going to university next September and im trying to get a clear idea of what size loan im going to get. My brother is 28 and severely autistic. My mother no longer works as she has taken it up on herself to care for him. Iv been trying to find information on how this will affect my loan application but have so far come up with nothing. I wonder if he would class as a dependant on my loan application (even though it seems to often be worded 'child dependant':wink: or would certain benefits be exempt form the total household income? I assume my brothers 'living allowance' would not be taken into account but would my mothers 'carers allowance'? if anyone could shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated...
Reply 1
i think he would be an adult dependant and DLA and incapacity benefit are exempt
Reply 2
I had this problem as well (have a 20 year old severely autistic brother) :smile: As you personally are not claiming the benefit, those benefits would be exempt :smile:
Reply 3
As far as I know they would have to be financially and physically dependent on you, but I'm no expert

edit: re read your post, it's only income from work for it to be counted I think, benefits are exempt unless you are claiming them
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending