The Student Room Group

Does your degree grade matter when you have a PGCE?

Basically what the title says?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would say no! My university lecturer got a 2:2 and in my opinion is one of the best in the department. I always remember he said it's not what you've got but what you do with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For you to have any chance of getting into a pgce course - they do require you having a first or 2:1. A 2:2 or anything lower will hinder your chances of getting a place..
Reply 3
Original post by samina_ay
For you to have any chance of getting into a pgce course - they do require you having a first or 2:1. A 2:2 or anything lower will hinder your chances of getting a place..

Already got offered a place but got a 2:2

Posted from TSR Mobile
For getting hired it might depend on the subject area...

from talking to some teachers - PE is now amazingly competetive and schools can afford to be choosy, some other subjects they're struggling to recruit and would grab virtually anyone with a PGCE and a pulse.

Parent governors have input into the decision and are (allegedly) notorious prestige whores who think a fancy university name and/or high degree class are far more important than ability to actually do the job i.e. deliver the curriculum to real world pupils... rather like a lot of the 17 year olds on TSR pontificating on who'd they'd theoretically hire, if they were employers.
Original post by Lambert87
Already got offered a place but got a 2:2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations. That's great news. I study Education at university and they tell us if we want to do a pgce we must average a first or 2:1 to stand a chance
Original post by Joinedup
For getting hired it might depend on the subject area...

from talking to some teachers - PE is now amazingly competetive and schools can afford to be choosy, some other subjects they're struggling to recruit and would grab virtually anyone with a PGCE and a pulse.

Parent governors have input into the decision and are (allegedly) notorious prestige whores who think a fancy university name and/or high degree class are far more important than ability to actually do the job i.e. deliver the curriculum to real world pupils... rather like a lot of the 17 year olds on TSR pontificating on who'd they'd theoretically hire, if they were employers.

So a 2:2 would be safe from a leading uni to get into many schools?
Original post by TunaTunnel
So a 2:2 would be safe from a leading uni to get into many schools?

(afaik) In the case of physics or maths, which is what I suspect you're interested in, from what I gather it wouldn't be a barrier for state schools including nice comprehensives and grammars.

I would fancy your chances providing you don't come across as a raging pervert or lunatic at interview or anything like that. (note it wouldn't be very difficult to link your CV to this account and there's a chance someone might not think the name 'tunatunnel' is very funny :frown: )

I don't know any private school teachers though tbh.

obv based on second hand information - if you hear different from a first hand source, trust that.
(afaik) In the case of physics or maths, which is what I suspect you're interested in, from what I gather it wouldn't be a barrier for state schools including nice comprehensives and grammars.

I would fancy your chances providing you don't come across as a raging pervert or lunatic at interview or anything like that. (note it wouldn't be very difficult to link your CV to this account and there's a chance someone might not think the name 'tunatunnel' is very funny :frown: )

I don't know any private school teachers though tbh.

obv based on second hand information - if you hear different from a first hand source, trust that.

Originally I wanted to work in a private school (I have 2.5 weeks experience), now I'm leaning more to grammar. Yeah I'll have a masters in physics from Durham and aiming for Cambridge PGCE, interviews are probably one of my stronger areas. I have a decent shot at rising through management given the positions of responsibility I've had.
I've just gotten a place on a PGCE course with an ordinary degree. A lot of people can see past the degree level and look at the rest of your application. The course lecturer told me during interview that they thought there was something special about me and I had impressed them at interview.

All lovely things to hear given that I was told I basically had no hope with an ordinary degree at the start of the process!

So no, I don't always think it matters in every instance. I think future employers will look more at my overall application and my performance over the course of the PGCE when it comes time to look for employment.
i have a 2:2 amd have recieved offers for primary PGCE, i get the impression that as long as you have met all the minimum requirements and experience it is not a barrier to get on the course and then of course it will be down to how well you actually do on the PGCE, then again I have been told being a male helps....

No. All governors are interested in hiring excellent teachers, regardless of their degree classification or university. And governors act corporately, not individually, so if there are any 'prestige whores' they'll be overridden by those with more knowledge of teacher recruitment.

Governors don't get involved in recruitment below SMT level anyway, they delegate the appointment of junior staff to the head teacher.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jantaculum
Governors don't get involved in recruitment below SMT level anyway, they delegate the appointment of junior staff to the head teacher.

This isn't correct. A Governor has been present at every teaching interview I have attended and my wife is a Governor and she has been on the panel for loads of teaching interviews including NQTs.
Original post by Mr M
This isn't correct. A Governor has been present at every teaching interview I have attended and my wife is a Governor and she has been on the panel for loads of teaching interviews including NQTs.

How interesting! That definitely strays into the realm of operational rather than strategic and it's unheard of in the authorities that I'm involved with unless there was some potential conflict of interest - for example the head and interviewee having some connection. As a Chair I've got enough to do without attending interviews - although I do meet new staff after they've been appointed.

(makes a mental note to contact Mr M in the future, if you don't mind, for added thesis research)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr M

No governors show up for ours below deputy headship, and not always then.
Original post by Mr M

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No governors show up for ours below deputy headship, and not always then.

At the risk of being pedantic:

The board of a maintained school may delegate all of its functions relating to staff employment in schools with the exception of:

establishing a selection panel to appoint a headteacher or deputy headteacher;

So in Mr M's case the governors either haven't delegated the responsibility to the Head, or are just showing up out of interest/to give support (in which case you would hope that the governor has appropriate skills to contribute to the decision making process - as many governors do nowadays).
(makes a mental note to contact Mr M in the future, if you don't mind, for added thesis research)

Sure.
So in Mr M's case the governors either haven't delegated the responsibility to the Head, or are just showing up out of interest/to give support (in which case you would hope that the governor has appropriate skills to contribute to the decision making process - as many governors do nowadays).

Some of our Governors work in HR and the majority have completed Safer Recruitment training. We tend to rotate two or three for appointments.
Original post by Mr M
Some of our Governors work in HR and the majority have completed Safer Recruitment training. We tend to rotate two or three for appointments.

Absolutely appropriate then - good for them for giving up the time as it's quite a commitment to attend interviews. I'd definitely like to get back to you later, my research is partly about the professionalisation of school governors and this sounds really interesting.

Parent governors have input into the decision and are (allegedly) notorious prestige whores who think a fancy university name and/or high degree class are far more important than ability to actually do the job i.e. deliver the curriculum to real world pupils.

See Mr M's point above - and please rethink your opinions about governors.
(edited 8 years ago)
At the risk of being pedantic:

The board of a maintained school may delegate all of its functions relating to staff employment in schools with the exception of:

establishing a selection panel to appoint a headteacher or deputy headteacher;

Ours is an independent school, so the rules will be a bit different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending