The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Gutted with 2:2

I am studying Chemistry/Biology at the OU and have been accepted to do a PGCE at UWE next sept.

I had my recent module grade back and I can't get lower than a 2:2 but to get a 2:1 I need a distinction in my last module (never ever, as its solid).... I am absolutely gutted with the degree grade.. Does it mean I'm thick?

I was working full time and doing the degree full time and at one point had to look after my mother who had cancer...

Anyone else get a 2:2 or what's your thoughts on them?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, you're not thick. Context is everything. Hope it works out alright for you!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
No it doesen't mean ur thick you've done well to even pass with everything thats going on.

Have you aleeady submitted your last module if not I say go all out and get that distinction. You have a pcge to get anyway I want you to concentrate on that and get the best mark you can. When you complete it come back here and tell us you aren't as dumb as u thought u were.
I know two people that got 2.2s and both of them have better jobs than I do (and I have a 2.1). I can't promise everything will work out for you, but just remember that grades aren't everything
Reply 4
Actually its pretty amazing u even got an honours degree from the OU full time whilst working full time, and looking after ur mum for a while. And in a tough subject aswell.:smile:

Damn.
Reply 5
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3540387

Look at this thread for advice.

Oh i see u already found it lel.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I got a 2:2 and I am so stupid I have live in the Midlands.
Reply 7
Original post by Maker
I got a 2:2 and I am so stupid I have live in the Midlands.

^to
Original post by Lambert87
I am studying Chemistry/Biology at the OU and have been accepted to do a PGCE at UWE next sept.

I had my recent module grade back and I can't get lower than a 2:2 but to get a 2:1 I need a distinction in my last module (never ever, as its solid).... I am absolutely gutted with the degree grade.. Does it mean I'm thick?

I was working full time and doing the degree full time and at one point had to look after my mother who had cancer...

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can imagine it's a disappointing grade to get after working so hard for so long, but you ought to be really proud you made it through. The OU is a real pig now, it used to be so much better, but some of the modules, organisation and support you get are so poor compared to the old days. So anyone who gets through, with any grades, particularly in science ought to be really, really proud.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not everyone can get a 2:1. The fact that you did this degree part time while working and had other personal issues is a feat in itself. Getting a 2:2 is not the end of the world and you can still get a good job. Plus, you still have time to improve your classification. It isn't set in stone till this last module. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Realistically, I think you already know that there may be times when a 2:2 will affect you in terms of applying for things which specify a 2:1 as a minimum. But that's about it. You have your degree and you will be able to progress in your chosen career and even get a £20,000 bursary for teacher training (according to the government website). So this is clearly a good degree and you should be very proud!

Remember: it's about the marriage, not the wedding!

What I would say from experience is that there are plenty of routes into fantastic jobs that do not require a 2:1 or higher. Additionally, once you get your PGCE, and especially if you continue on to a Master's, I can't imagine your degree class carrying too much weight. What will be important is your experience and feedback from staff etc.

Finally, I think it goes without saying that your degree classification has no bearing whatsoever on how intelligent you are or will be perceived as by others. Remember that these classifications are fairly arbitrary anyway. Take me for example. I just posted about this so I'll be brief: my university has decided to classify the degree I just completed differently for students on the same degree course depending on which languages they chose to study. This wasn't made clear at the point of choosing my languages. I personally believe they have just misinterpreted the criteria but the point is:

Another student on the same degree course who chose English as one of their languages will get a higher degree class than me even if they achieve identical grades at levels 2 and 3. Why?

I've been told I can change the title of my degree in order to get my first (from 'Modern Languages' to 'Open'). What?!

So with all the same modules and same grades, I can either have a first or a second (upper class) depending on totally arbitrary criteria for classification.

I wouldn't put too much stock into it to be honest. How you come across in your interview is going to be a lot more important!

Congrats on getting your degree and best of luck with your PGCE.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest