The Student Room Group

A level choice advice needed!

I am about to choose my a levels for next year and would like some advice on what to choose. I am going to do history and am thinking about biology and sport, however i have heard these subjects are a lot harder than GCSE level? and i am only being offered 3 a levels so will not be able to drop a subject so am concerned about making the right decision.
Reply 1
Original post by mwarne
I am about to choose my a levels for next year and would like some advice on what to choose. I am going to do history and am thinking about biology and sport, however i have heard these subjects are a lot harder than GCSE level? and i am only being offered 3 a levels so will not be able to drop a subject so am concerned about making the right decision.

Most A-level subjects will be much harder than their GCSE counterparts so don't let this become a deciding factor! Think about which subjects you really enjoy as you're more likely to perform well in them.
Do you know what you'd like to do in the future/study at university? This could help you choose your 3 as some courses have specific subject requirements.

However on their own History (as a favored essay subject) and Biology (sciences are favored) seem fine. Since you only have 3 choices however, I would be wary of Sport as some Uni's treat this as a non-preferred subject.
All depends on your future plans really :smile:
Original post by pateln
Most A-level subjects will be much harder than their GCSE counterparts so don't let this become a deciding factor! Think about which subjects you really enjoy as you're more likely to perform well in them.
Do you know what you'd like to do in the future/study at university? This could help you choose your 3 as some courses have specific subject requirements.

However on their own History (as a favored essay subject) and Biology (sciences are favored) seem fine. Since you only have 3 choices however, I would be wary of Sport as some Uni's treat this as a non-preferred subject.

I agree- I would definitely be wary of doing sport. Id only doing if you are planning on doing something sport related afterwards.
What did you want to do at uni/after a-levels?
Reply 3
Original post by pateln

Thanks, yeah i think i will do history and biology and for my third choice i am thinking about photography or philosophy

I am unsure on what i want to study at university but i am very interested in both biology and history so those two should leave me with many options
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree- I would definitely be wary of doing sport. Id only doing if you are planning on doing something sport related afterwards.
What did you want to do at uni/after a-levels?

Sport science may be an option for uni, would i still be able to study that if i do biology a level and not sport?
Original post by mwarne
Sport science may be an option for uni, would i still be able to study that if i do biology a level and not sport?

Id look on some unis websites and see what they say. You never know, some might specify certain subjects.
If they don't specify any particular subjects, then id do history, biology and whichever other subject you want (depending on which subjects you enjoy best and think you can do best in).
Reply 6
Original post by mwarne
Thanks, yeah i think i will do history and biology and for my third choice i am thinking about photography or philosophy

I am unsure on what i want to study at university but i am very interested in both biology and history so those two should leave me with many options

Definitely do Biology and History those are great choices :smile:
Stick with Sport as well if you want to do something sport related later
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
Id look on some unis websites and see what they say. You never know, some might specify certain subjects.
If they don't specify any particular subjects, then id do history, biology and whichever other subject you want (depending on which subjects you enjoy best and think you can do best in).

okay thanks :smile: what do you think of photography and philosophy as choices?

Quick Reply

Latest