The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Freezer
Im so confused, was it Park Houses or Park Village which doesnt even have tables in the kitchen?

I think it was Park Village, though I think someone mentioned that in one or two of the Park Houses there might not be a table either... :confused: but I could be wrong. :wink:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
Freezer
Im so confused, was it Park Houses or Park Village which doesnt even have tables in the kitchen?

Park Village.
Reply 22
Im in Park Houses (Norwich House specifically), and we don't have a table in our kitchen. But I know I Lancaster house do, not sure about the other two. So it's kind of luck of the draw considering you can't choose a specific house.
Reply 23
is the accom. all mixed sex?
also, is East Slope the most sociable?
thanks
Reply 24
Possibly a stupid question. But i haven't sent off my accomodation application yet... will it make a difference if they get my application today or the day before the deadline... in regards to actually getting the place i want?
Reply 25
Luke_S
Possibly a stupid question. But i haven't sent off my accomodation application yet... will it make a difference if they get my application today or the day before the deadline... in regards to actually getting the place i want?

I THINK that they don't allocate accomodation until September because they won't know until then who is actually coming. So I'd say don't leave it till the very last minute, but don't worry about rushing to send it off now. I could be wrong, but I don't think when you send it off has a bearing on the likelihood of getting your 1st choice :smile:
So it says east slope bar can have live music in...is that reeaaallly annoying and noisy?
Reply 27
whats the most socialable place with sinks in the rooms? i want the best of both worlds. parties and hygiene, does the shared bath/showers etc really get that disgusting???? i wish they did did the forms differently!
Reply 28
Yes last year unconditionals were sorted a few days before the results were released.... then everyone who made it into sussex was sorted... but I dont think when you send it off makes a difference....

As for the most social places, I dont think there is one, I mean where ever you are as long as you get to know your housemates your gonna have a sociable time.

I might change my choice to East Slope if I dont get this scholarship I applied for....
Reply 29
Freezer
Yes last year unconditionals were sorted a few days before the results were released....

I was allocated a room months before results came out...
Reply 30
See this for info on allocating rooms this year..

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentialservices/1-2-4-6.html
I have an unconditional offer and sent my form back the day after it arrived in the post:

1) Bramber
2) Lewes Court phase 2
3) Falmer
4) Lewes Court phase 1

I can't remember any of my choices after this, because I'm praying I'm get an en suite room. I'm hoping because my offer is unconditional I stand a better chance of getting one, but we'll see. :s-smilie:

Though, I've just read this, which has made me feel a bit better:
Students holding unconditional offers which they have firmly accepted and who have sent in their housing forms will be allocated in late July. This means that students in this category will normally get their first choice of accommodation.

Fingers crossed! :redface:
Reply 32
To be honest, I think it would be awful to live in Falmer, it's so isolated from the rest of campus and your view is either a motorway or a train track. I really can't recommend East Slope enough, it's so sociable and right in the middle of everything. They're knocking down the grottiest flats this year anyway so you're almost certain to get one of the refurbished flats. We have two bathrooms between 6 people, which is better than some of the other residences. I really wanted an ensuite at first but it's totally not worth the money as you're gonna have to get used to sharing bathrooms in the second year and I'm pretty sure you won't have your own bathroom at home. As for noise, I live very close to the bar and I'm never disturbed by it. The only time I've ever been woken up is by my flatmate having a small rave in his room, but that's down to your flatmates more than where you live. Seriously, East Slope is not the ghetto people seem to think it is and it's so much fun, it's like a little holiday village! Plus this will be one of the last years you'll be able to apply for it so be part of the legend! No one loves their halls as much as people in East Slope.
Can you ring up and ask to change your order of preference even after you have sent the form off? Or will it be too late by now? (for an unconditional.) I put Lewes Court first but now I'm thinking maybe I should have chosen the Slope... just because I don't think I will meet as many people or have as much fun in Lewes Court! I don't knooow! :confused: Sounds stupid but the main thing I would be worried about living in East Slope is the windows, because does it feel claustrophobic inside? Anyone know how many flats they are knocking down this year? (I don't know how many are old and which are refurbished.) Anyywayy any help welcomed :smile:
Even the grotty east slope flats aren't so bad. I've seen other unis accomodation and it's looked like a horror film!

Call the housing office. They were really helpful last year. Do it BEFORE a-level results come out and they're swamped!
Reply 35
I would choose east slope over Lewes court without a doubt. Not a big fan of the posh ghetto crew.
ladyportacabin
Even the grotty east slope flats aren't so bad. I've seen other unis accomodation and it's looked like a horror film!

Call the housing office. They were really helpful last year. Do it BEFORE a-level results come out and they're swamped!

Ok, thank you, will do :smile:
Reply 37
My top 3:

1. Bramber
2. Lewes Court Phase 2
3. Falmer

What are the chances of me getting into one of my top 3, with an en-suite? (I've got a conditional offer)
Reply 38
Jemima13
To be honest, I think it would be awful to live in Falmer, it's so isolated from the rest of campus and your view is either a motorway or a train track. I really can't recommend East Slope enough, it's so sociable and right in the middle of everything. They're knocking down the grottiest flats this year anyway so you're almost certain to get one of the refurbished flats. We have two bathrooms between 6 people, which is better than some of the other residences. I really wanted an ensuite at first but it's totally not worth the money as you're gonna have to get used to sharing bathrooms in the second year and I'm pretty sure you won't have your own bathroom at home. As for noise, I live very close to the bar and I'm never disturbed by it. The only time I've ever been woken up is by my flatmate having a small rave in his room, but that's down to your flatmates more than where you live. Seriously, East Slope is not the ghetto people seem to think it is and it's so much fun, it's like a little holiday village! Plus this will be one of the last years you'll be able to apply for it so be part of the legend! No one loves their halls as much as people in East Slope.

Could not have put it better my self.

East slope is ideal for those who want to establish a good network of friends whilst studying at sussex.
Its pretty much cheap and chearful.
I have some very funny memories, mostly involving the drunken antics of my flatmates.
I had to share a room, which was hard at times, especially when I'd had a bad day or was feeling home sick, but the bond that was formed between me, my room mate and flatmates was worth the hassle that comes with living with a small group of peaple in such close proximity.
The East slope bar is located at the bottom of the slope and is pretty much on your door step, can get a bit overcrowded, but is the best bar on campus.
In the summer its not uncommon for people to congragate on the top of the slope, and party on down from dusk till dawn.
The uni in whole does have a community feel, but east slope residents have their own miniture community, because people tend to intermix more then any other accomidation groups, personally i think people who live on east slope are a bit different in personality compared to everyone else.
The flats can get pretty messy, and i did'nt think much of the cleaners, we had ants in the summer, as well as rats due to rubbish being left out side on the path.
My room was ok, but definatly not suited for two sharing, I could never study when I was at the flat.
The walls arnt very thick, so if you have a noisy neighbour then I can be a prob.
The kitchens are small, you get a kettle, micorwave, electric cooker, broom, ironing board, shelving space can get tight sometime, i had two toilets, one shower betweem 8, which was not that bad.

If your looking for a hardcore start to your first year then I can recommend east slope quite highly.
:biggrin:
Reply 39
are there no sinks in the east slope rooms at all? i wanted to go there but ive just read they dont have sinks and i really need one because i wear contact lenses :frown: i want cheap accomodation dammit!!

Latest