The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Original post by alanliang12
ahh then flat 51 then, i think thats kinda far not sure haha

Hey guys i want to know can i share a room or flat in stanmer court as i cant afford single rooms/flats my price range is £100 per week. All help will be appreciated thankyou! :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 1221
Hey guys i have a question is it clean are the washrooms clean how people share the toilets and bathrooms anf the kitchen! :smile:
Reply 1222
Original post by Dghghjhg
Hey guys i have a question is it clean are the washrooms clean how people share the toilets and bathrooms anf the kitchen! :smile:
. Is it a clean kitchen
Reply 1223
Hey guys my price range is £100 per week can anyone let me know of a good accomodation with a good environment for example can i share room/flat in stanmer court because i cant afford single thankyou
Reply 1224
Thankyou
Reply 1225
Hey i cant afford it can i like share a room/flat i afford £100 per week
Reply 1226
Hey guys my weekly range to pay is £100. I want to know of a good accomodation with a good environment. I would prefer a single room and washroom but if thats not possible then i would like to share with 2-3 people like some big flat
There are only two (I think) accommodations here for less than £100 per week: east slope and park village. They both have shared bathrooms and you're likely to be in a flat of about 5-7 I think. The best thing to do is come to an open day and they'll show you any of the halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1228
Hey guys i only afford to give £100 per week. Whats the best accomodation for me. Does swarnborough stanmer and northfield give rooms for sharing because i cant afford single ones and what about sharing the toilets or a studio
Reply 1229
Hey guys i only afford to give £100 per week. Whats the best accomodation for me. Does swarnborough stanmer and northfield give rooms for sharing because i cant afford single ones and what about sharing the toilets or a studio please help
my budget is up to 120 pounds. please contact me if you're willing to share your room with me.
[email protected]
Original post by Dghghjhg
Hey guys i only afford to give £100 per week. Whats the best accomodation for me. Does swarnborough stanmer and northfield give rooms for sharing because i cant afford single ones and what about sharing the toilets or a studio please help

East Slope is the only one offering room shares. Park Village and East Slope are the cheapest if you can only afford £100 rent per week.
Hello Guys,

I am choosing which of my unis to firm and I think my first choice might be Sussex, due to the location. However, I do not know what accommodation to put as my first choice. All four of the ones above look good to me so I was wondering if you could tell me what one would be the best for me.

I heard Swanborough is full of 'rich people' and this was kind of off putting, despite how attractive the accommodation itself is. Many people have complained about Stanmer court being too far from the main campus zone and I wasn't sure if this was a big problem or not. The working area in Lewes' court rooms didn't look all that great, which kind of made Northfield the most attractive one to me. Although, saying that, I heard that Northfield and Swanborough are the most expensive ones. Will this be a problem if I'm from a low income background?

Thanks for your help
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone? Would appreciate the help.
Original post by eagleclawsan
Hello Guys,

I am choosing which of my unis to firm and I think my first choice might be Sussex, due to the location. However, I do not know what accommodation to put as my first choice. All four of the ones above look good to me so I was wondering if you could tell me what one would be the best for me.

I heard Swanborough is full of 'rich people' and this was kind of off putting, despite how attractive the accommodation itself is. Many people have complained about Stanmer court being too far from the main campus zone and I wasn't sure if this was a big problem or not. The working area in Lewes' court rooms didn't look all that great, which kind of made Northfield the most attractive one to me. Although, saying that, I heard that Northfield and Swanborough are the most expensive ones. Will this be a problem if I'm from a low income background?

Thanks for your help

Hey,

I stayed in Northfield during my first year and when I arrived it confirmed I had made the right choice. You are right in saying that Stanmer court has a problem with regards to distance. It's not that far from the academic buildings, probably about the same distance as the other accommodation. However the main problem is that is such a long way away from the other fresher's, so if for instance you meet people who you're getting on with who live in Lewes Court or worse even Northfield, it's a fair old trek. Having said that, people who I know who have lived there really enjoyed their stay!

Truth of the matter is wherever you stay you'll have a wicked time. Yes you're correct in the sense that if you stay in the most expensive accommodation the chances are you'll bump into some of the wealthier students, however I stayed in Northfield and neither of me or any other my housemates I would have considered as rich.

Also as you talk about low income background, if you're the first generation in your family to go to university and family income is below a certain amount I think it's about £42,000. You could be entitled to embark on the First Generation Scholars scheme which would knock £2000 off your rent, and give you £1000 cash each year you're with the university.

I hope this has helped a bit, and if you want any more information about the Uni or accommodation, just give me a shout.

Merry Christmas!
Original post by haydyb123
Hey,

I stayed in Northfield during my first year and when I arrived it confirmed I had made the right choice. You are right in saying that Stanmer court has a problem with regards to distance. It's not that far from the academic buildings, probably about the same distance as the other accommodation. However the main problem is that is such a long way away from the other fresher's, so if for instance you meet people who you're getting on with who live in Lewes Court or worse even Northfield, it's a fair old trek. Having said that, people who I know who have lived there really enjoyed their stay!

Truth of the matter is wherever you stay you'll have a wicked time. Yes you're correct in the sense that if you stay in the most expensive accommodation the chances are you'll bump into some of the wealthier students, however I stayed in Northfield and neither of me or any other my housemates I would have considered as rich.

Also as you talk about low income background, if you're the first generation in your family to go to university and family income is below a certain amount I think it's about £42,000. You could be entitled to embark on the First Generation Scholars scheme which would knock £2000 off your rent, and give you £1000 cash each year you're with the university.

I hope this has helped a bit, and if you want any more information about the Uni or accommodation, just give me a shout.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for your response, it helped a lot :smile:.

One more question though. Because I'm of a low income background (I fulfill everything you said) should I be looking at the cheaper accommodations like like Brighthelm, Lewes Court and Park Village for example? I mean, I'd love to stay in Swanborogh or Northfield but sometimes I can't tell if it is realistic or not. Maybe Lewes Court is my best option?
Hey,

Im a Sussex first year and I'm staying in Northfield. DO NOT apply to live in Stanmer as your first choice. It is miles out the way and lacks any form of social life. Its almost as if you aren't on campus.

Swanborough is lovely, its not full of rich people, and its not full of internationals as I was told. Its basically Northfield, but in the centre of campus. The location imo is good, its so much closer to the lecture theatres than Northfield and this is the only thing I don't like about north field is the fact its a 10-15 minute walk from my flat to the lecture theatre whereas swan borough is more like 5-10. Downside is that you hear drunks and hear more noise from outside as you are right next to the co op!

Id vote Lewes court P2 or north field. Lewes court is just a bit less posh than NF. I stay in north field and its like a hotel. My view is glorious, i live right on the border of the south downs in block 3. The social aspect is hit and miss at the start, but when you get to meet other people from north field it really kicks it up because theres so many different blocks in northfield.
I live in Lewes Court and the social area is ok but its luck of the draw which one you get really, some of them are awful.

I'd go for Swanborough, like the kitchens are really spacious and the living areas are nicer looking :-)
Original post by SeanToBeWild
I live in Lewes Court and the social area is ok but its luck of the draw which one you get really, some of them are awful.

I'd go for Swanborough, like the kitchens are really spacious and the living areas are nicer looking :-)

Original post by Chriswhjay
Hey,

Im a Sussex first year and I'm staying in Northfield. DO NOT apply to live in Stanmer as your first choice. It is miles out the way and lacks any form of social life. Its almost as if you aren't on campus.

Swanborough is lovely, its not full of rich people, and its not full of internationals as I was told. Its basically Northfield, but in the centre of campus. The location imo is good, its so much closer to the lecture theatres than Northfield and this is the only thing I don't like about north field is the fact its a 10-15 minute walk from my flat to the lecture theatre whereas swan borough is more like 5-10. Downside is that you hear drunks and hear more noise from outside as you are right next to the co op!

Id vote Lewes court P2 or north field. Lewes court is just a bit less posh than NF. I stay in north field and its like a hotel. My view is glorious, i live right on the border of the south downs in block 3. The social aspect is hit and miss at the start, but when you get to meet other people from north field it really kicks it up because theres so many different blocks in northfield.

Thanks guys, that helped a lot. You have made Swanborough and Northfield very appealing. I also really like the rooms and the spacious desks. However, the only thing I'm worried about now is the cost. I think Swanborough is £144 per week and Northfield around £138. I'm still not confident with student finance but is my maintenance loan/grant supposed to cover this every term? Do you guys have jobs or help from your parents to help pay for your rent. I ask because I won't be receiving much much help from home as my household income is not high at all. But I don't know if this means that I should avoid applying to Northfield or Swanborough. Do you know of any lower income people in your flats/accommodation?

Thanks a lot.
Original post by eagleclawsan
Thanks guys, that helped a lot. You have made Swanborough and Northfield very appealing. I also really like the rooms and the spacious desks. However, the only thing I'm worried about now is the cost. I think Swanborough is £144 per week and Northfield around £138. I'm still not confident with student finance but is my maintenance loan/grant supposed to cover this every term? Do you guys have jobs or help from your parents to help pay for your rent. I ask because I won't be receiving much much help from home as my household income is not high at all. But I don't know if this means that I should avoid applying to Northfield or Swanborough. Do you know of any lower income people in your flats/accommodation?

Thanks a lot.

If your household income is below a certain bracket you may be eligible for £2000 off your rent as awarded by Sussex uni!

Latest