Dy/dx again!

What is dy/dx of (x^2+2x)/x^2 ?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farmerjj

Cheers

Use the quotient rule:

ddx(u(x)v(x))=u(x)v(x)u(x)v(x)(v(x))2 \frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{u(x)}{v(x)}\right) = \frac{u'(x)v(x) - u(x)v'(x)}{(v(x))^2}

EDIT: Actually you could instead cancel common factors and split up into two fractions and then just differentiate as normal, no need for the quotient rule.
(edited 8 years ago)

Cheers

What have you tried so far?

Is this for C1?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
What have you tried so far?

Is this for C1?

Yeah for C1

I'm not really sure how to approach it
Reply 4
Sinplify the indexes
Reply 5
Original post by 16Characters....
Use the quotient rule:

ddx(u(x)v(x))=u(x)v(x)u(x)v(x)(v(x))2 \frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{u(x)}{v(x)}\right) = \frac{u'(x)v(x) - u(x)v'(x)}{(v(x))^2}

EDIT: Actually you could instead cancel common factors and split up into two fractions and then just differentiate as normal, no need for the quotient rule.

when u do so much STEP u forget the basics #strugglez
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Use the quotient rule:

So it's x^2/x^2 + 2x/x^2 and then what?
Yeah for C1

For C1 you need to divide the numerator by the denominator so your expression has no fractions.

Do you have any of your own working out?

This is NOT in C1 - ignore it!

Simplify those two fractions by cancelling the common factors in the numerators and denominators and then use the usual rule for differentiating powers of x. (You may find it helpful to rewrite one of the fractions as x to a negative power after simplifying).
Reply 11

When you divide and the base is the same, you just subtract the powers
Use the quotient rule:

Quotient rule is NOT in C1 don't confuse people!
Simplify those two fractions by cancelling the common factors in the numerators and denominators and then use the usual rule for differentiating powers of x. (You may find it helpful to rewrite one of the fractions as x to a negative power after simplifying).

I think you need to stop posting wrong things - we never CANCEL in mathematics - we simplify expressions.
Reply 14
I think you need to stop posting wrong things - we never CANCEL in mathematics - we simplify expressions.

Lmfaooo what are you on about :rofl:
Reply 15
Yeah for C1

Split each into fraction, and use rule of indices e.g. (x^3)/(x^2) = x^1 (you just minus the power when dividing if they have the same base) and then differentiate normally
Reply 16

Okay so would the answer be -2x^-2?
Original post by ubisoft
Lmfaooo what are you on about :rofl:

Ubisoft - real mathematicians NEVER talk about cancelling - that is not what we are doing.

We look for common factors and simplify - if you don't understand that you should not be offering help.
Okay so would the answer be -2x^-2?

Yes but write it back as a fraction as it was given as a fraction.

Sorry about all the posters giving poor advice :frown:
Reply 19
Ubisoft - real mathematicians NEVER talk about cancelling - that is not what we are doing.

We look for common factors and simplify - if you don't understand that you should not be offering help.

It literally means the same thing. Also you do not have the credentials to decide whether someone is a "real" mathematician.

Quick Reply

Latest