The Student Room Group

University advice?

I'm currently studying AS
English Literature (predicted B)
Economics (predicted A)
Business Studies (predicted B)
Sociology (predicted A)

9 GCSE's (3 A's, 2B's 4C's - maths was a C)

I want to study Economics at a GOOD university at the least! (Russel Group if possible) I really am enjoying it at AS level and want to carry it on further.

I wanted to drop Business Studies at the end of AS since it doesn't go well with Economics on UNI applications. However, i'm nowconsidering of dropping English Literature since I'm really not enjoying it at the moment!

Any advice that may help me navigate to what Universities to look at or any other advice regarding my subjects etc?
you cant really tell now which one you should drop it all depends on how your AS results are

the only Russel group uni you can go to for economics without maths in Manchester but u will need to resit GCSE maths am in the same boat as you
(edited 8 years ago)
Majority of the good universities require maths at A level or at least a grade A at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also most universities dislike business studies and Economics being studied together due to their similarities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xJaayyy
I'm currently studying AS
English Literature (predicted B)
Economics (predicted A)
Business Studies (predicted B)
Sociology (predicted A)

9 GCSE's (3 A's, 2B's 4C's - maths was a C)

I want to study Economics at a GOOD university at the least! (Russel Group if possible) I really am enjoying it at AS level and want to carry it on further.

I wanted to drop Business Studies at the end of AS since it doesn't go well with Economics on UNI applications. However, i'm nowconsidering of dropping English Literature since I'm really not enjoying it at the moment!

Any advice that may help me navigate to what Universities to look at or any other advice regarding my subjects etc?

There is a lot of maths in an Economics degree - did you take Higher Maths GCSE?
Reply 5
Original post by cutelady
Also most universities dislike business studies and Economics being studied together due to their similarities

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was planning to drop BS at the end of AS
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
There is a lot of maths in an Economics degree - did you take Higher Maths GCSE?

I didn't get the option to unfortunately! If the maths is really hard in the degree and I stand a small chance of actually getting in - I may have to reconsider then!
Original post by xJaayyy
I didn't get the option to unfortunately! If the maths is really hard in the degree and I stand a small chance of actually getting in - I may have to reconsider then!

Have a look on RG websites - most prefer Maths A level. I'd do some research about what is included in the degree to check your maths is up to it.
Reply 8
Have a look on RG websites - most prefer Maths A level. I'd do some research about what is included in the degree to check your maths is up to it.

Thanks! If not, do you have any suggestions of degree's I should look into based on my A Level choice?
Original post by xJaayyy
Thanks! If not, do you have any suggestions of degree's I should look into based on my A Level choice?

You could try this:

http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/

It's free to do the interests questionnaire once you register.
Reply 10
You could try this:

http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/

It's free to do the interests questionnaire once you register.

I tried it out, and I got Accountancy as the main along with Finance and Logistics - all again very maths based!
Original post by xJaayyy
I tried it out, and I got Accountancy as the main along with Finance and Logistics - all again very maths based!

DId you put in the A levels you are doing or has that question gone?
Reply 12
DId you put in the A levels you are doing or has that question gone?

Yes, however Eco and Business were combined as one option (I can imagine why) and Sociology wasn't even an option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending