The Student Room Group

Sharia courts in the UK lock women in 'Marital Captivity'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lol just read the bullet points in the article.
What a joke. That isn't even sharia.
This is Britain ffs.
Reply 22
Feminists should storm the government to shut these Sharia courts down. They would be useful for once.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'm just saying equality under law doesn't, by itself, translate to equality in practice. Just like it didn't/deosn't for race based issues.

There is goign to have to be some dissent from within the Muslim community to fight this sexism in order to eradicate it. People on the outside should try and foster and help that. Having these kinds of sharia courts is doing the opposite of that.

I agree. These attitudes need to be stopped somehow. For that I think we need to see more criticism of beliefs like this in the media, without people (*cough* The Guardian *cough*) shouting Islamophobia or racism. But there also needs to be an understanding that criticisms of the beliefs are not the same as criticisms of races themselves. If this stuff becomes more common in the media, hopefully Muslims will start to question certain beliefs in their cultures and religion without feeling attacked personally.
Reply 24
Original post by Josb
Feminists should storm the government to shut these Sharia courts down. They would be useful for once.

implying feminists won't somehow find a way to blame white males for this
Original post by Josb

There you go.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/two-topless-feminists-storm-muslim-6435892

Already doing it.
Reply 26

It's not in the UK...
Not to be rude i know this is a forum but its not your women or community.
Dont see why you are bothered.
Reply 28
Original post by muslimstanisyed

Not to be rude but this is not your country, why can't you leave and go to some Sharia Halal country ?
Original post by Josb
It's not in the UK...

Our feminists should get their boobs out more :emo:
Original post by Josb

That does more harm then good, they see this and think "This is what happens when men don't control women" and that validates their beliefs in their heads. The change needs to come from themselves, their attitudes need to change through education.
How the **** are Sharia courts a thing in the U.K... :lolwut:

:sigh:

They're our countrymen, which makes their mistreatment our problem.

FYI they aren't your women either, you don't own them like you would livestock.
Original post by HAnwar
Lol just read the bullet points in the article.
What a joke. That isn't even sharia.

But it is being run under sharia by Islamic clerics. Those bullet points describe an absolute disgusting practice occurring within these courts. This alone should be reason enough to shut them down or heavily regulate them.
The supposed secular judicial system is a mess...

They're not 'your' women either.

They are UK citizens therefore if they are being abused/exploited in ways that are preventable then it is for any UK citizen to take issue with.

Seriously just messed up. They aren't your women, they are autonomous human beings that are being mistreated (due to their gender) by shariah courts in Britain (which is illegal). Therefore it is very much problem the government she sort out. It is very much a problem that British people have a right to speak out about.

Even if this was occurring in some far of place as members of the same planet we have every right and reason to speak out about it.
What actual power to Sharia courts have? Does British law allocate devolved powers to them?
Original post by garfeeled
Seriously just messed up. They aren't your women, they are autonomous human beings that are being mistreated (due to their gender) by shariah courts in Britain (which is illegal). Therefore it is very much problem the government she sort out. It is very much a problem that British people have a right to speak out about.

Even if this was occurring in some far of place as members of the same planet we have every right and reason to speak out about it.

Sharia courts are legal in the uk.
And you have a right to speak out about it if you choose just dont see why you care as its got nothing to do with you and most of you i guarantee know very little about sharia law.
Reply 38
Sharia law should be banned, this is Britain and British law should apply totally ridiculous to allow sharia law particularly its views on women
Reply 39
Original post by demx9
Sharia courts in Britain are locking women into “marital captivity” and doing nothing to officially report domestic violence, according to an academic who gained unprecedented access to Islamic divorce hearings.

The Sharia Courts aren't locking women into captivity as they have no legal bearing. An abusive partner/family has these women captive in an abusive relationship. End of. It just sounds more sensational to add all the other garb about Muslims and Sharia Law.

What studies are being conducted on the reasons why the average domestic violent perpetrator does what they do and what better interventions can be put in place to enable the victim's escape? I would be more intrigued by that information than this propaganda nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending