The Student Room Group

Did God or the Big Bang create the universe? (vague title)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannahalicia
Just wondering

The title is a bit ambiguous. Accepting that Big Bag created the universe doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe in God.
Original post by the bear
i believe in miracles

[video="youtube;JdYCdkhcgoA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYCdkhcgoA[/video]
Original post by MrKmas508
Beware Muslims have a notoriety for praising the Qurans scientific facts which ended up being "true" (obscure enough to have tiny bit of substance) then hiding its mistakes claiming they were mere metaphors.

I know, I was Muslim. I'm asking so that I can decide how authentic it is for myself :smile:
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
The title is a bit ambiguous. Accepting that Big Bag created the universe doesn't necessarily mean you don't believe in God.

Well, what should the title be?
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
[video="youtube;JdYCdkhcgoA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYCdkhcgoA[/video]

shamone

:five:
Original post by BristolFresher15
I know, I was Muslim.

Wohoo, another filthy kafir like myself.
I know, I was Muslim. I'm asking so that I can decide how authentic it is for myself :smile:

Just remember to keep an open mind but the "I was" shows me that you already have one.
Just wondering.

What if I told you both.

Your question makes no sense at it suggest Big Bang or God. Georges Lemaître Who is pretty much the father of the Big Bang as an idea was a catholic priest.
Original post by BobbyFlay
Wohoo, another filthy kafir like myself.

Us blasphemers deserve the fiery pits of HELL
Us blasphemers deserve the fiery pits of HELL

When did you convert?
Well, what should the title be?

I don't know really. Perhaps "Did universe need a creator?" but I guess you are fine :bigsmile:.
Reply 31
The big bang did not "create" the universe. The universe already existed in a hyper-condensed form, an infinitely small point from which it expanded out of.

Time "began" with the big bang - but in existence without time, only esoteric concepts like God (the unknowable) make sense.

As far as I know, we cannot theoretically know what happened before the Big Bang. So the question is impossible for answer.

Science can only tell us how the Universe works. Why it works this way is for each of us to figure out. People looking to replace their own spirituality with hard science are on a fool's errand.
When did you convert?

Honestly I'm having a hard time remembering, but I started to question it basically as 2015 rolled around. And it has been building since then. At first I was quite afraid of how I was 'denying' Allah, and how he would punish me or whatever. But I watched a lot of Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Krauss etc. on YouTube. Really opened my mind!
I believe something similar to Aristotle's Prime Mover/Unmoved Mover created the universe.

Because if I say the Big Bang, I'm accepting science which has logic behind it, but the question regresses to 'what caused the Big Bang?'.

But if I were to say God, I'm accepting this moral, all-knowing, omnipotent being, which I don't think is the case given evidence for the opposite on Earth.

Therefore I think the Big Bang did occur and did create the universe, but only due to some external being (or force) putting it into motion.
Honestly I'm having a hard time remembering, but I started to question it basically as 2015 rolled around. And it has been building since then. At first I was quite afraid of how I was 'denying' Allah, and how he would punish me or whatever. But I watched a lot of Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Krauss etc. on YouTube. Really opened my mind!

Yeah, same here. Youtube is an awesome way of receiving information. I think my first debate that sort of set my apostasy in motion was the Richard Dawkins and Mehdi Hassan one. It really made me think.
Yeah, same here. Youtube is an awesome way of receiving information. I think my first debate that sort of set my apostasy in motion was the Richard Dawkins and Mehdi Hassan one. It really made me think.

I don't remember mine, but it was probably a number of them that all discussed the idea of the sheer number of religions and gods that have ever existed - and how I was only Muslim because of the accident of my birth place and lineage.
Reply 36
Just wondering. (I know my title is weird, I don't know how else to phrase it.)

I believe God created the universe, the big bang is quite possibly that moment.

"This is what God the Lord says—the Creator of the heavens, who stretches them out" Isaiah 42 v 5

A continually expanding universe.
Original post by Racoon
I believe God created the universe, the big bang is quite possibly that moment.

"This is what God the Lord says—the Creator of the heavens, who stretches them out" Isaiah 42 v 5

A continually expanding universe.

Hahaha. Then when the big bang is proven wrong and another theory is in place they'll pick out another ambiguous quote and call it "evidence". Religion never fails to make me laugh.
Ametures god created big bang
Interesting thought experiment that I heard at a lecture. Some academics believe that it will eventually be possible to simulate a mind such that the mind will not be able to distinguish between its reality and a non-simulated reality. A civilization advanced enough to simulate minds should also eventually be advanced enough to simulate a virtually infinite number of minds, so that the number of simulated minds vastly outnumbers the number of non-simulated minds. Therefore, if it is possible to simulate artificial minds, it is likely that we are simulated minds and that there is therefore a "God" who begun and defined the simulation. The only cases in which this wouldn't be true is if 1) it's not possible to simulate a mind or 2) civilizations never get advanced enough to simulate an artificial mind or 3) it is possible to create an artificial mind but there is something else preventing advanced civilizations from making them. The philosopher giving the lecture didn't believe that 1) or 3) are true, which leaves you with two possible scenarios:

We are almost certainly simulated minds and we therefore have a creator.

Civilization is inherently self-destructive and all advanced civilizations destroy themselves before they become advanced enough to simulate minds.

Both of which are slightly alarming conclusions!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending