The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TSRWiki
Intercalated Degrees
An intercalated degree gives you the opportunity to incorporate a further degree (BSc or BA) into your medical course. It takes different formats at different universities, It usually takes one year which could be after your second or third year. At some medical schools it is compulsory year making the course 6 years in total, some offer it as an option to all students and at some places it is only offered to the most academically able students.

There is usually a range of degree's available to choose from, traditional science subjects such as: Bichemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, or topics such as Medical Law, Ethics or History of Medicine.

Why intercalate?
Intercalating gives you the chance to study a particular subject in depth, enabling you to expand your knowledge on a specific topic.
Intercalating often gives you the chance to be involved in research or Lab work, something which you may not get to experience during the rest of your medicine degree.

Intercalating may give you an advantage over other candidates when applying for competitive specialties, for example intercalating in Anatomy would be useful if you wish to pursue a career in surgery.

Why not intercalate?
The main downside to intercalating is the extra year it takes which will obviously be an expense which you had previously not considered.
A year studying a specific topic may make you forget some of the things you've learnt in the other years of your medical degree.

Intercalating is something which you should think about as early as possible, you may even wish to consider it before applying to medical school. You may not be interested in intercalating, in which case a 6 year course may not be for you. Alternatively you may really want to intercalate so it may be a risk to apply to universities which only let certain people intercalate.

Whilst there are good points and bad points to intercalating, its something you should consider carefully to make sure it is right for you.

From glancing at UEA's site, no, they don't seem to offer it. As UEA is geared for graduates, there is probably little demand for the extra year an intercalated BSc would involve.

An intercalated BA is only given out by Oxford and probably Cambs as well.
Reply 2
cheers for that.. i saw that on the GMC website.. but i was wandering how badly i would be disadvantaged if i wanted to be a surgeon?
Reply 3
godfather
cheers for that.. i saw that on the GMC website.. but i was wandering how badly i would be disadvantaged if i wanted to be a surgeon?

Thanks to MMC, any Dr who doesn't want to be a GPSI or retrain to be a NP or NC is doomed anyway, so don't worry about it!
A what now?
Reply 5
Apparently when it comes to intercalating it's all about finding the easiest degree such as pharmaholiday.
Reply 6
Iscariot
Apparently when it comes to intercalating it's all about finding the easiest degree such as pharmaholiday.

lol, i wondered why everyone does that :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Iscariot

lol... so true :biggrin:!
Reply 8
T_Bag
lol, i wondered why everyone does that :rolleyes:

because you get fed up of spending your life in a lecture theatre and it is nice to know that for an entire year you'll never have a 9am start...

as for 'pharmaholiday'... it isn't easy... if you want really easy you don't pick physiology or pharm!... for pharm medics get the lowest grades out of all the BSc's... like 10% of medics got a first for pharm but 60% got a first for medical physics, 50% for genetics, 50% for moly-med...etc. so it is quite a major difference...

i'm doing it because i think it will be useful for clinics and i think it's interesting... but i've only met a couple of clinical students who have done it... one of them told me not to do lab work and that they should have done something 'arty' instead because they are not a 'science person'... and the other was from yorkshire and i couldn't understand a word he was saying... i'm still looking forward to it... in my experience medics tend to moan about everything so you can't really tell if something is good/bad...

but the people that really want to have an easy life have a lot of crap to pick from... 'Public Health', 'International Health', 'History of Medicine' and 'Speech Science'... Most people I know doing these subjects just want a break and have no real interest in doing them...
Primary Health Care actually looked quite interesting, even though I don't want to be a GP.
Reply 10
*Pretends he hasn't read Philosoraptor's post*
Heh, I thought you might say that. But then maybe I don't know what it really entails. You'd have a much better idea actually being there!
Reply 12
Philosoraptor
A what now?

GP with Special Interest
Nurse Practitioner
Nurse Consultant
Ah ok. :smile:
Reply 14
Philosoraptor
Heh, I thought you might say that. But then maybe I don't know what it really entails. You'd have a much better idea actually being there!

perhaps... but you don't really know what it is going to be like when you apply...

and if i was in your position, i'd think that talking to a cynical second year medical student who is so bored of revising that he is spending the first three hours of his day on an internet forum probably isn't the best way of finding out what pre-clinical medicine is really like... lol...
Reply 15
I might consider doing something like International Health..it might look good on my future application to UN committees and NGOs :P
Reply 16
becca2389

An intercalated BA is only given out by Oxford and probably Cambs as well.

Bristol give out an intercalated BA for medical humanities, don't know about anywhere else tho....
Johnny C.
Bristol give out an intercalated BA for medical humanities, don't know about anywhere else tho....

That's a bit different. The Oxbridge BA (and possibly St Andrews now I think of it?) give out BAs to all undergraduates regardless of whether their courses are arts or sciences. So it's effectively a BSc but with a different name. Whereas medical humanities is a proper BA, not a BSc.
Reply 18
I don't know if it is a BSc or if it is a BMedSci...

All the degrees here have "Medical science with X..." and they've changed the changed the system so next year 1/3 of the degree is based on the marks from the first two years...
Reply 19
Too many abbreviations on the one page. Not good!

Latest

Trending

Trending