The Student Room Group

Doing a second degree in Art?

Hi all,

I've been studying Politics at one of the country's top universities for the last 3 years and am graduating this coming summer.

As my course has gone on there have been moments where I've loved what I'm doing and moments where I absolutely couldn't stand it, though maybe it is normal to have those ups and downs. I also think about my future job prospects, whether it's something research based (would require a Masters degree) or something else (e.g. journalism), and the more I think about it the less I think I would want to follow that kind of path. All that's been on my mind lately is doing Art. It's something that I loved for a long time before I came to university, but due to various reasons I haven't done too much of it while I've been here. I've just had this urge to create things and I want a job one day where I can be really creative, whether that's with visual arts or something different.

So the more I've been thinking about it, the more I've been considering going to Art school. When I graduate I will be moving home to London where there are some great universities like University of the Arts and Kingston University, etc. I considered applying to these before opting to do my current degree because people kept advising me against it and wanted me to get a 'real' degree. However, I'm not sure if I would really have any options in terms of funding, and I would like to try a few different things so would be looking to do a Foundation course where I could explore and experiment in different areas.

Does this sound like a good idea or does it sound crazy and stupid? Is it OK to do a foundation year and then not follow through with a full degree? How do employers look at these things? Any ideas for career paths I could follow that fulfill a need to create and express myself?

Apologies for the long post and thanks for your help. Just be totally honest with me.
I also completed my first degree in Economics half a year ago and thinking to do musics (classical singing) as a second degree. It's tricky, I'd like to perform as an opera singer and be able to teach music to others, yet I have very little technical knowledge of musics at the moment and being naturally gifted doesn't help as much, because it's all about practice...

I'd say: I think it all boils down to what you want to do in this life and how you want to live it; what brings you joy and puts your heart at ease. I had an urge to say that you shouldn't care about employers if you're sure about what you want to do, but I should actually say that you may want to try to keep your feet on the ground and think also about how you're going to make a living. If you're a talented painter and painting is your passion, then you can sell your art. That would be such a priviledge! Making money from your passion...We're sad people, all brought up with these perceptions of how life should be like, what you should be doing, and then you wake up one day realising your life is not yours. Bah. Rant over.
Reply 2
That's so true. We have complete control over our actions, but yet we allow others to dictate how we feel...

I'm currently doing an architecture degree, after my Mum told me there's 'no job prospects in art'. Fine art was my plan A, so I went to plan B instead which is architecture. As it's a respected degree, and creative as well. However, I plan on at least doing the 3 years undergrad. I might do a master's in architecture, as I need this to be fully qualified. Depends on how I feel, as it's too early to tell. Although, I'm defiantly going to do a a one years masters in fine art.

If you know what art route to take, why don't you do a master's instead? It's shorter.

Quick Reply

Latest