The Student Room Group

Bashar al-Assad

Why do some people here on TSR support this man? I am trying to understand.
My family and I were huge supporters of bashar and his extended family,we thought he had the interests of our people at heart,we have met and greeted him at a number on many occasions in the past but I've realised now, He doesn't care about us,he's already killed so many of our own. I used to support this man up until late 2014,I'm happy to say no more and all of his portraits of him and his father hafez I've removed from our house,the only thing that remains is the flag of Syria,to unite us all. I put him now in the same category as ISIS. They both need to go.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
My family and I were huge supporters of bashar and his extended family,we thought he had the interests of our people at heart,we have met and greeted him at a number on many occasions in the past but I've realised now, He doesn't care about us,he's already killed so many of our own. I used to support this man up until late 2014,I'm happy to say no more and all of his portraits of him and his father hafez I've removed from our house,the only thing that remains is the flag of Syria,to unite us all. I put him now in the same category as ISIS. They both need to go.

While i am not a supporter of assad, i cant help but be skeptical of the claims of brutality after it turned out that the rebels in libya lied about atrocities commited. These are the same groups involved now in syria and seem to be good at drumming up support overseas for intervention.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
While i am not a supporter of assad, i cant help but be skeptical of the claims of brutality after it turned out that the rebels in libya lied about atrocities commited. These are the same groups involved now in syria and seem to be good at drumming up support overseas for intervention.

The Assad family were known for being quite brutal at putting down descent. The Hama massacre springs to mind. So I don't think the claims of brutality are unbelievable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Hama_massacre
Reply 3

Some of bashar's atrocities have been captured on film,so I doubt the FSA/other rebel groups have been exaggerating that much
Perhaps because he's the least of many evils in Syria right now.
Reply 5
Original post by Hydeman
Perhaps because he's the least of many evils in Syria right now.

Maybe so but that doesn't change the fact that he's also a murderer.
Reply 6
Those who left Syria to go and reside in European countries are considered traitors by bashar and his loyalists

The extreme left wing will always support who the mainstream are against. Assad is not a nice man, as most of us realise that, some people will defend him.

I often wonder how many on the extreme left would support HitkerHitler if he were around today.
Maybe so but that doesn't change the fact that he's also a murderer.

It doesn't, no. But unless there is a full-scale NATO invasion and occupation of the country, we will need to support one or more of the groups already involved in Syria and Assad is the most preferable in that respect (note to anybody who sees that as an endorsement of Assad's actions: it isn't).
(edited 8 years ago)
Those who left Syria to go and reside in European countries are considered traitors by bashar and his loyalists

They may be. But do you care what Assad thinks?

Do you think that the people who have left Syria and failing to help change the country are also partly responsible?
Reply 10
Original post by MatureStudent36
The extreme left wing will always support who the mainstream are against. Assad is not a nice man, as most of us realise that, some people will defend him.

I often wonder how many on the extreme left would support HitkerHitler if he were around today.

It's not always lefties tho who are supporting bashar
Reply 11
They may be. But do you care what Assad thinks?

Do you think that the people who have left Syria and failing to help change the country are also partly responsible?

I don't care for his or his family anymore let alone his opinions

I don't understand why they're traitors,who in their right mind would choose to live in fear of their lives over a secure place
It's not always lefties tho who are supporting bashar

Remember that there's a lot of pro Assad posts made from Russian IP addresses on here.
Reply 13
All groups of Syria are in the wrong, it just comes down to who is 'worse' in regards to a threat to the UK. Assad is not a threat to the UK, the whole idea behind bombing Assad was to help overthrow him and form a democracy - basically playing World Police. I'm glad that motion was rejected in the house. ISIS pose a direct risk to the UK because of their entire ideology and purpose, so whilst it may appear as if we have done a U-turn (some of FSA splintering off to join ISIS - but I want to clarify FSA=/=ISIS) we have simply changed our priority because one poses a risk to the UK, and the other does not.

I don't think there is a single group in Syria (other than innocent civilians with no association to anyone) that have not committed atrocities of one form or another. To me, there is no 'worse' atrocity because genocide is genocide.
Reply 14
Remember that there's a lot of pro Assad posts made from Russian IP addresses on here.

But what about those from the UK who support him knowing full well what his actions are and they've been recorded so it's not like it hearsay
Some people support Assad because they fear Islamists among the Syrian rebels, and then of course you have ISIS. Some people see Assad as vital protection. That includes people from all ethnic groups in Syria, but especially the Alawites, Ismailis, Druze, Christians, etc. who would be particularly at risk from Islamist rebels if Assad were to be removed.

It's similar for non Syrians. Some people see Assad as a potential ally against ISIS, arguing that backing Assad's forces with air strikes as the only way to push ISIS back (in the non Kurdish areas).

Some individual incidents may be lies or may be exaggerated, but plenty of them are not. The fact that Assad's forces have committed widespread atrocities is undeniable (except for conspiracy theorists of course), even if for some individual incidents it's unclear. That's not to say I support the rebels, who have committed abuses of their own.
Reply 16
Original post by Clomper
All groups of Syria are in the wrong, it just comes down to who is 'worse' in regards to a threat to the UK. Assad is not a threat to the UK, the whole idea behind bombing Assad was to help overthrow him and form a democracy - basically playing World Police. I'm glad that motion was rejected in the house. ISIS pose a direct risk to the UK because of their entire ideology and purpose, so whilst it may appear as if we have done a U-turn (some of FSA splintering off to join ISIS - but I want to clarify FSA=/=ISIS) we have simply changed our priority because one poses a risk to the UK, and the other does not.

I don't think there is a single group in Syria (other than innocent civilians with no association to anyone) that have not committed atrocities of one form or another. To me, there is no 'worse' atrocity because genocide is genocide.

I know that many members from the FSA have defected and had joined ISIS because of lack of resources.

in his rise to power more than I would like to admit
Reply 18
I know that many members from the FSA have defected and had joined ISIS because of lack of resources.

Yeah, as I said some have splintered off from FSA to join Isis but the FSA is a different body. It's like defecting your political party (e.g Con --> UKIP) except we're talking about military factions, rather than political parties. They all have their own view in how the country should be ran, or the world in ISIS' case, but there is no common ground - it's very much 'us vs them'.
bashar is the saddam of syria
so he is a horrific tyrant who tortures and slaughters his own people, and everybody has to pretend they love him or else.
but like saddam, he was a power-monopolist in his country under that scheme
if ISIS come to power, not only will there be slaughtering and torment, but there will be anarchism at the same time, and in the middle east, anarchism is worse than dictatorship, I can imagine...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending