The Student Room Group

Physics or Mathematics? Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NHSFan
Every time I read this rubbish I just want to scream! With the exception of Cambridge and Oxford, NO university explicity says that! Chemistry is pretty much a necessity, Biology is at most med schools, although AS will do for some. Other than that, just choose subjects you enjoy and will get at least an A in! If I were advising someone, I would say definitely choose Chemistry and Biology, a third 'facilitating' subject and then any 4th one that you will enjoy.

First of all, our school is allowing us to choose only 3 subjects. So I'm speaking from my point of view. Although I agree with the fourth subject being a free choice. You can check with universities near your area or the one which you have in mind, or their website to see which subjects are needed. Most of them allow candidates to choose either Maths or Physics. You can read my old post again, I clearly mentioned it.
Reply 21
Original post by Noorhasan
First of all, our school is allowing us to choose only 3 subjects. So I'm speaking from my point of view. Although I agree with the fourth subject being a free choice. You can check with universities near your area or the one which you have in mind, or their website to see which subjects are needed. Most of them allow candidates to choose either Maths or Physics. You can read my old post again, I clearly mentioned it.

I presume you are in year 11? So you have plenty of time to inform your teachers that they are wrong! You NEED to do 4 subjects.

UCL....require A*AA.Biology and Chemistry. A* in one of them. A 3rd A2 and a 4th AS at at least a B.

Imperial.....require Biology and Chemistry and a third subject. AAA also require a 4th subject at AS grade B.

King's.......require Biology and Chemistry and a third subject. AAA. Plus a 4th at AS grade B.

I cannot be bothered to look at any more med school websites, but I know that ONLY Cambridge REQUIRES 3 sciences at A2!

Look at this info....I think it's up-to-date. It does say that Bristol requires 3 sciences, but that isn't the case, if you check their website.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NHSFan
I presume you are in year 11? So you have plenty of time to inform your teachers that they are wrong! You NEED to do 4 subjects.

UCL....require A*AA.Biology and Chemistry. A* in one of them. A 3rd A2 and a 4th AS at at least a B.

Imperial.....require Biology and Chemistry and a third subject. AAA also require a 4th subject at AS grade B.

King's.......require Biology and Chemistry and a third subject. AAA. Plus a 4th at AS grade B.

I cannot be bothered to look at any more med school websites, but I know that ONLY Oxbridge REQUIRE 3 sciences at A2!

Look at this info....I think it's up-to-date. It does say that Bristol requires 3 sciences, but that isn't the case, if you check their website.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

Our school has been doing Cambridge examinations for over 12 years, and entering greatest universities. The number of subjects isn't an issue. You can take 6 if you wish. If your system goes differently than ours then its your problem, lots of people here take only three just like I do. And since medicine require Bio, chem and either Maths or Physics, nobody needs a fourth subject. Because it's easier for us that way.
And when you say only Oxbridge requires three sciences, this isn't true because this may only be in Great Britain, I'm not sure. It maybe because you're from England or something but it's not the same for other european medicine universities or even across the world. Your information around this is limited, if they only need three subjects, they won't even bother looking at or giving a damn about the fourth subject.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Our school has been doing Cambridge examinations for over 12 years, and entering greatest universities. The number of subjects isn't an issue. You can take 6 if you wish. If your system goes differently than ours then its your problem, lots of people here take only three just like I do. And since medicine require Bio, chem and either Maths or Physics, nobody needs a fourth subject. Because it's easier for us that way.
And when you say only Oxbridge requires three sciences, this isn't true because this may only be in Great Britain, I'm not sure. It maybe because you're from England or something but it's not the same for other european medicine universities or even across the world. Your information around this is limited, if they only need three subjects, they won't even bother looking at or giving a damn about the fourth subject.

Obviously you are not sudying here in the UK or intending to go to med school here. My initial response was therefore intended for the OP, who I believe is. My advice to them remains that 3 sciences at A2 are not required, except for Oxbridge.

Good luck with your own application next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Some schools are saying only three A levels with the new linear specifications - the only exception is Fmaths is allowed as a 4th.
Reply 25
Original post by Shapsharks
I plan to study Medicine at university. For A Level I'm going to do Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
But I'm going to pick 4 AS Levels. I've read on top independent boarding schools that for medicine most universities prefer Chemistry Biology and Maths.
My question is, what (in your opinion/from knowledge) AS would be better? Physics or Maths.
Any answers would be great! I know maths and physics are both good subjects, but would top unis prefer maths over physics? Thank you 🙂

Unless you wish to apply to Cambridge or Oxford, it doesn't matter what subjects you do aside from Chemistry and Biology. My advice would be to do whichever you would enjoy more/do well in.
Original post by NHSFan

This is the policy for everyone applying in the 2016 admissions round or before that. Some medical schools (e.g. Barts) have made statements saying that they will only require three A Levels under the new system.

UCL only requires a pass in a fourth AS, so that's a minimum of an E grade in a fourth AS. (source)

I cannot be bothered to look at any more med school websites, but I know that ONLY Oxbridge REQUIRE 3 sciences at A2!

Only Cambridge requires three sciences. Statistically, most successful Oxford medics will also have three sciences, but this isn't a requirement. Oxford is one of those rare schools that doesn't even require biology to AS Level, although it is mentioned on the website that they expect that people who only have a GCSE-level understanding of biology are likely to struggle on the course.
(edited 8 years ago)

This is untrue for all UK medical schools except Cambridge. Chemistry, biology, and another academic subject plus a fourth AS (until 2016 entry at least) is all that is needed to meet the requirements of most medical schools in the UK.

The OP is clearly asking about UK medical schools, not European ones. Please stop propagating common myths about medical admissions when you clearly have mistaken views about what is required by UK medical schools.

Spoiler

Reply 28
Original post by Hydeman
This is the policy for everyone applying in the 2016 admissions round or before that. Some medical schools (e.g. Barts) have made statements saying that they will only require three A Levels under the new system.

UCL only requires a pass in a fourth AS, so that's a minimum of an E grade in a fourth AS. (source)

Only Cambridge requires three sciences. Statistically, most successful Oxford medics will also have three sciences, but this isn't a requirement. Oxford is one of those rare schools that doesn't even require biology to AS Level, although it is mentioned on the website that they expect that people who only have a GCSE-level understanding of biology are likely to struggle on the course.

Ooops! Sorry, the poster I was replying to annoyed me, so I got a bit mixed up! (I get soooo fed up hearing the rubbish about 3 sciences/maths being necessary!) And I read the entry reqs for Oxford incorrectly! I did think it odd, as I knew that although most successful candidates have 3 sciences, they were not explicit requirements when I was looking previously.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
This is untrue for all UK medical schools except Cambridge. Chemistry, biology, and another academic subject plus a fourth AS (until 2016 entry at least) is all that is needed to meet the requirements of most medical schools in the UK.

The OP is clearly asking about UK medical schools, not European ones. Please stop propagating common myths about medical admissions when you clearly have mistaken views about what is required by UK medical schools.

Spoiler

Okay god, I GET IT. We've cleared that out already, I did not know it wasn't the same in UK. I do not want to discuss this further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending