The Student Room Group

Media Makeup applicants for entry 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by domannehamilton
In terms of qualifications I have a load of experience with various theatres in London working with their makeup artists to help me learn more about being a stage makeup artist. Ermmmm, Ive also done a short course at LCF and work experience with Kryolan. My portfolio included photographic evidence of all of that experience, plus a lot of my artwork including pencil, pen and paint, plus any extra makeup and hair looks that I have created over the years!

Then school qualifications include 4 A*s and 6As at GCSE and then 3 As at AS level (haven't done my A2s yet!)

I think the main thing bournemouth is looking for is people who are really willing to work hard for the three years they'd be studying at AUB, and people who've got the strive, determination and potential to be really successful! :smile:

I wish you the absolute best of luck getting in next year! Everything happens for a reason :smile:

How did you get work experience at Kryolan?! and what did you do there x
Original post by Lydd98
How did you get work experience at Kryolan?! and what did you do there x

I first went into the store and asked if they offered work experience, then called then about a week later and booked the dates of my work experience (you get 6 days). Then during my work experience I worked a lot on the shop floor learning about products and doing stock. I also got to assist with makeup demonstrations in terms of cleaning brushes and watching and learning. The only problem i'd say is that Kryolan can be quite unorganised... they messed up the days i was supposed to be coming in twice! AND would often forget to tell me when I could go on lunch, so i'd be sitting there for a while past lunch and then have to have a shorter lunch... but other than that it was fun :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by domannehamilton
I first went into the store and asked if they offered work experience, then called then about a week later and booked the dates of my work experience (you get 6 days). Then during my work experience I worked a lot on the shop floor learning about products and doing stock. I also got to assist with makeup demonstrations in terms of cleaning brushes and watching and learning. The only problem i'd say is that Kryolan can be quite unorganised... they messed up the days i was supposed to be coming in twice! AND would often forget to tell me when I could go on lunch, so i'd be sitting there for a while past lunch and then have to have a shorter lunch... but other than that it was fun :smile:

I would so do that but i live in Manchester so I'm no where near!:frown: x
Original post by Lydd98
Where for?
If I were you (this is what I did anyway) I would take a variety of work including 3D/sculpture work, painting, drawing, life drawing and makeup images to show you are well rounded and have an interest in makeup.
Usually at interviews you all get taken into a room and you get given a presentation on the course then they take you off one by one for an interview where they ask questions and look at your portfolio! Sometimes they give you a your of the facilities sometimes they don't x

Thanks so much for the advice I'll start compiling everything :smile:
Original post by Lydd98
Where for?
If I were you (this is what I did anyway) I would take a variety of work including 3D/sculpture work, painting, drawing, life drawing and makeup images to show you are well rounded and have an interest in makeup.
Usually at interviews you all get taken into a room and you get given a presentation on the course then they take you off one by one for an interview where they ask questions and look at your portfolio! Sometimes they give you a your of the facilities sometimes they don't x

his,the university of bedforshire for make up and character design :smile: and okay dokie i will do thank you so much for all the advice :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by sweeties789
Hi, I've changed my mind about what I want to do recently, and I'd love to do a make-up degree. However, I don't do any related A levels as I'm not that great at art or drawing. I'm doing a level 3 make-up course at the weekend however, so could this help me get into uni? I would be happy to do a foundation degree and have found courses at York and Manchester college that look really good. They don't seem to require drawing in the portfolio but maybe I should enquire further. Would I stand a chance of getting in to do a foundation degree? Southampton Solent looks really good too, but I'd probably be held back by not having sketches...

Hi there! A level 3 media makeup qualification would definetely help you, however seen as it is just a weekend course are you sure it's level 3? As level 3 courses often take one year to complete.
I'm sorry to say, if you have no relevant A levels or level 3 courses you will not be able to get onto the degree as the best courses like bournemouth, London and Southampton (and most others) are extremely competitive, therefore they will choose the people with relevant qualifications and are likely to reject you straight away
However if you could give me some information about the course you are going to do in media makeup I would look and let you know if I think you'd get in with it?
Also, you probably would have a good chance at Manchester if you have a relevant qualification as its not very competitive there and they give most applicants offers! However, despite me getting a conditional to manchester, I hated the place and facilities and it didn't seem very professional to me! However you may think differently.
Finally, I was in the same boat as you last year when I was in year 12 and realised you needed art or a relevant qualification to do the degree, so I went online and found an online art foundation (which is quite expensive with, but worth it) and I'm doing that alongside 2 a levels as I am in year 13. This course doesn't require any previous art experience or qualifications so is really helpful! The reason I chose to do this is because also a lot of foundation years are very competitive also and most of them require you to have done art a level or something else relevant.
For you I would suggest doing the course I am doing online which I can give you information on (which you could start now but do it part time or start in September and do full time) or do something like a btec in art or media makeup at college next year as there Is a slim chance of you getting into an art foundation year or a media makeup degree without having a relevant qualification!
Hope this helped
Lyd
Reply 26
Hi, I've changed my mind about what I want to do recently, and I'd love to do a make-up degree. However, I don't do any related A levels as I'm not that great at art or drawing. I'm doing a level 3 make-up course at the weekend however, so could this help me get into uni? I would be happy to do a foundation degree and have found courses at York and Manchester college that look really good. They don't seem to require drawing in the portfolio but maybe I should enquire further. Would I stand a chance of getting in to do a foundation degree? Southampton Solent looks really good too, but I'd probably be held back by not having sketches...

And also, whether doing a degree or a foundation degree, you will still be required to have a relevant subject, so whatever you applied for you'd still need an art/makeup background X
Reply 27
Thanks so much for your advice! I am doing level 3 makeup artistry and it is for 12 weeks. It is definitely level 3 and its on a Saturday for 7 hours each week. I would have done the level media makeup 30 week course (also on a saturday) but the government do not give funding as they are funding me to be at sixth form, so I wouldn't be able to afford it by paying privately. Maybe if I needed this I could do it at college for a year after I finish sixth form before going to university?

The art course you're doing sounds great, but is it difficult? I'll have to look into it. The courses at Manchester and York are both foundation makeup degrees for 2 years which you can then top up to a BA in one year, so maybe they could be an option if they aren't so competitive.

Ah that sounds good then! Yeah you have a chance of getting in then! Manchester I know for a fact isn't as competitive, however it's too late to apply now but you could always go in through clearing or see if there's an option to apply on their website and not through UCAS!
i know they are a foundation degree but you still need the same qualifications and stuff!
You could either apply through clearing this year or just apply through ucas next year!
I would recommend Bradford and Somerset college over Manchester and York tho tbh! X
Reply 28
I think I would be applying in 2017 because I want to finish my A levels but we'll see. I'll have to check them out. Do you think it would be ok to have my 12 week course or would i have to do the 30 week course to get in? Thanks

The longer the better I would say! Because you'll get more experience! Also make sure it's defo a level 3! You could always to a btec at college after it you didn't get in in 2017 X

I had an interview for the foundation make up course at bedford and nearly everyone on there course did not have any make up or art background all they were looking for is creativity :biggrin: hop this helps :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by LottyGreen
I had an interview for the foundation make up course at bedford and nearly everyone on there course did not have any make up or art background all they were looking for is creativity :biggrin: hop this helps :biggrin:

That's so wierd
Original post by Lydd98
That's so wierd

I know I thought it was strange to
Hi all,

Level 3 makeup courses can be studied at private centres and the courses can be much more fast track compared to doing them at college. Just be sure to check that the qualification is awarded by a recognised examinations board such as vtct, city and guilds or itec.

A google search will often come up with private centres through which you can do vtct level 3 makeup courses. Just be sure not to do a distance learning makeup course because the internet ia full of those.
With the vtct qualifications, the level 3 Diploma in makeup artistry includes a media makeup unit. This isn't stuff like making your own prosthetics but it should definitely be enough to get you onto a number of makeup courses at uni.

Said media makeup unit can also be taken as a stand alone unit (level 3 award in media makeup). Definitely look at the vtct website to get an insight into the structure of the qualifications but yeah, level 3 Diploma in makeup artistry is definitely going to help you make a strong application to a university course in makeup.
Hi where has everyone decided to study in September? :smile: Im going to study media makeup too x
Reply 35
Original post by hannahpaige
Hi where has everyone decided to study in September? :smile: Im going to study media makeup too x

I'm going to Bradford or Somerset (most likely Bradford) and then going to see if I like it (because I didn't get into my first choice) and if I don't I'll apply somewhere else/back to my first choice! Xxx
Original post by Lydd98
I'm going to Bradford or Somerset (most likely Bradford) and then going to see if I like it (because I didn't get into my first choice) and if I don't I'll apply somewhere else/back to my first choice! Xxx

Where was your first choice? :smile: x
Reply 37
Original post by hannahpaige
Where was your first choice? :smile: x

Bournemouth, got rejected after interview as I've only been doing art since September. Think I'm guna try and get in again next year! wbu xxx

Quick Reply

Latest