The Student Room Group

How to catch up quickly

I've realised I'm already so far behind. How do I catch up quickly?

First year undergrad btw.
Reply 1
run
Reply 2
Original post by The OP
I've realised I'm already so far behind. How do I catch up quickly?

First year undergrad btw.

turn into a hermet
Reply 3
Seriously, though, how? I'm behind on four maths courses that are basically finished now.
Reply 4
Original post by The OP
Seriously, though, how? I'm behind on four maths courses that are basically finished now.

I am being serious.

When I was revising for the first year exams I did not physically get out of my house for 32 days solid. (from my last day of lectures until my first exam).

I had not fallen behind with the course either
Original post by The OP

Independent study. Go get some textbooks and work
Original post by The OP
As TeeEm suggests - you need to invest time in this, there are no "quick" solutions. It took you 8 weeks to fall this far behind - it's going to take a while to catch up.

I know this is no help to you now, but from experience (and lots of talking to other maths undergrads), in the long run it is much easier to put in the effort to keep up at the time, than it is to let yourself fall behind and then try to catch up. The problem is that at this level, even falling behind a week means you effectively stop understanding the course - at that point you're just mindlessly copying what the lecturer says and getting next to nothing from the lectures.

But yeah - at this point no real option other than to sit down and work at it.

What courses are you behind on? (And what courses are you NOT behind on?)
Reply 7
Original post by DFranklin
As TeeEm suggests - you need to invest time in this, there are no "quick" solutions. It took you 8 weeks to fall this far behind - it's going to take a while to catch up.

I know this is no help to you now, but from experience (and lots of talking to other maths undergrads), in the long run it is much easier to put in the effort to keep up at the time, than it is to let yourself fall behind and then try to catch up. The problem is that at this level, even falling behind a week means you effectively stop understanding the course - at that point you're just mindlessly copying what the lecturer says and getting next to nothing from the lectures.

But yeah - at this point no real option other than to sit down and work at it.

What courses are you behind on? (And what courses are you NOT behind on?)
Thanks for this advice. I'm behind on numbers & functions and geometry. I caught up with linear methods quickly before a test, but found out that I just didn't do it properly enough. The only course I'm not behind on is Calculus.
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
I am being serious.

When I was revising for the first year exams I did not physically get out of my house for 32 days solid. (from my last day of lectures until my first exam).

I had not fallen behind with the course either
Wow! That's precisely what I need to do I think!
Reply 9
Original post by The OP
Wow! That's precisely what I need to do I think!

fFor some courses you have to catch up now during Xmas because you might not be able to follow in the 2nd semester too. (prerequisites)

Then "it's goodbye my friend..."

I hope it all works out.

Quick Reply

Latest