The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Forms? Well, there's a couple to register yourself with the local GP, one to get a NUS card, and then whatever your course throws at you for the first week. Not a huge amount, though some of the queues were pretty nasty. The Maths department has a test on the first week, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
University of York
York
Reply 2
what kind of activities do they do? like do they arrange sport events etc? also nightlife, do they arrange pub crawls? clubbin nights?
Reply 3
Not forms as such but quite a few things to do: Departmental registration, internet access, collecting pre-booked tickets, accomodation forms, medical registration.
But it's all part of the excitement of finding your way around and meeting people by making conversation while sat in queues for hours!

Activity-wise, the events this year included:

Fresh - End of Freshers' semi-formal dance type thing.
Viking Raid - Huge bar crawl in town.
Comedy Night
Aloha - Beach themed party
Access All Areas - First night, every college putting on a different themed night in their bars.

Those were the Uni wide ones, but each college has things going on most nights, be it bar crawls or whatever.

I had an awesome time. Most of the fun is just in the getting settled in and hanging out meeting people - even if there weren't any events at all I think I'd still have enjoyed it, generally just a great atmosphere for two weeks.
Reply 4
Yeah just throw yourself in the deep end, i bought tickets for every event and went on them even if i didnt know people going and had a great time. We had the Vengaboys playing at Fresh last year, what an epic night :smile: What better way to break the ice then by getting the entire first year population drunk together for two weeks.
Reply 5
cullmac
What better way to break the ice then by getting the entire first year population drunk together for two weeks.

i totally agree! i cant wait!
Reply 6
The Vengaboys?!?!!? who do they have this year!??! oh i do like the vengaboys- they're so much fun.
Physics had an exam in the first week aswell, don't know anybody else that had them tho :frown:

Freshers week is a blast, lots of events, bring lots of money! :biggrin:
Reply 8
The_Kangaroo
bring lots of money! :biggrin:

You don't want to gloss over this, most of the cash machines on campus were empty by Tuesday.
Freshers week is 2 weeks?
Reply 10
Roberto Tomato
Freshers week is 2 weeks?

This year it was, but apparently that was mainly because they left it too late to sort out the Freshers' Ball (Fresh) so could only book the venue for the second week, so sort of called it Freshers' Fortnight to hide their mistakes.
I don't know how true that is, but lectures did start for most, if not all, subjects in the second week so while there was still a few events happening, it wasn't quite a full on Freshers' Fortnight.
Reply 11
Yeah end of the first week u have a few introductory lectures in some courses (sciences deffo) they just basicly introduce you to the systems you will use etc. The same goes for the second week where you get introduced to some very basic lectures that just remind you of what you probably forgot about education since you were last in school. You will probably be partying every night in freshers either in the student bars, out on the town or just in your house with your housemates. Enjoy it!
Reply 12
When does the Freshers' Week start?
Reply 13
At most uni's Fresher's week is the week before term officially starts, i.e. week 0. But at York, the uni gets so much money from conferences that they try and maximise the summer vacation and so have Fresher's week as week 1. Therefore, next year Fresher's week will be from Monday 8th October (as that's the first *official* day of term). Although, most people move into halls on the Saturday or Sunday beforehand so really it'll start then.

For those who are interested as well, each term at york is 10 weeks and you'll soon forget how to write dates as people always talk about "Monday week 2" or "Thursday week 9", never 5th May etc.
Reply 14
Just write the week numbers on your calendar and you'll be fine.
I feel I should say a few things about freshers' week for those who aren't party animals:

1. It's great if you like drinking/partying/completely idle smalltalk. Fun. But it's not what York's all about. York is many faceted, and you'll meet all sorts if this isn't the sort of thing you're into. Don't let it give you a bad first impression. Remember, you don't have to enjoy yourself in the freshers' period. There's a fair proportion of the student body that doesn't
2. You may or may not make those 'friends for life' in your first week. There's a good chance you won't. Again, don't let it worry you, good friends will come along, even if they don't stick with you for life. And if it takes them a whole term, or even two, then that's that.
3. If you're a bit off the wall, go the freshers' fair and look at the range of societies on offer. There's Gilbert & Sullivan, for example (which is, for the record, great), Drama, Anime, and all sorts.
4. If none of the above applies, well ... have fun!

:smile:
Reply 16
This year (and the year before, supposedly) there were quite a few complaints that the only events put on in Freshers' week/fortnight revolved around drinking. Not much got done about it. Some societies do put on a couple of events in the first week, but these tend to be neither well publicised nor well attended, I think.
The one thing I think I should point out is that, although Fresher's week was fun, the longer I've been here, the more I've enjoyed myself. People make Freshers week out to be the best time in uni, but don't be surprised if it's not *that* great.
Reply 18
All the events focus around drinking?!?!? Cant wait,im gonna be starting as I mean to go on!lol
Reply 19
How formal is the freshers ball? Will I need to bring a tux?

Latest