The Student Room Group

Does running make you lose gains?

Hello fellow TSR users.
I'm a 5'8 male and I've been going to the gym ever since september and I'm loving it so far. I gained 4 kg of weight ever since starting and i feel stronger than when I started. now, I don't think that much of the weight i gained is muscle but i can see a slight improvement strengthwise ever since I started going.

However, since I've left school I did not do any cardio at all (no more football at lunchtime eh) and i saw that it was putting a strain on my ability to work harder at the gym. So for the two weeks after work I've been running three to four miles outside, twice each week.

My question is, as the title says, would running more than this make me lose any muscle or is this regime bad for my "gains"?
If you overdo cardio , it affects gains
Original post by TSR Mustafa
If you overdo cardio , it affects gains

No. EAT MORE FOOD
Cardio Conditioning is very important and aslong as you don't overdue it meaning running half marathons etc you should be fine. HIT is the best for fat loss btw if that's what you are going for.
Reply 4
My best gains were when I did cardio alongside my regime, when injury kept me off cardio, my progress slowed and faltered
as long as you don't overdo it and make sure you eat back the cals burned during cardio so you're still in a surplus you should be fine
Reply 6
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Cardio Conditioning is very important and aslong as you don't overdue it meaning running half marathons etc you should be fine. HIT is the best for fat loss btw if that's what you are going for.

I'm not fat myself, on the contrary I'm quite skinny, what I've been doing since starting going to the gym is I've been eating nearly twice as much as I used to, but that made me feel very unhealthy and bloated at times. Running kind of makes this better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Running will always make you gain. It's a myth that it makes you lose weight. Your fat turns into muscle mostly.
As long as you're still getting enough calories and it's not interfering with your recovery, crack on. In fact, some light cardio a couple times a week can help your recovery from the lifting by getting some blood pumping round the body.

Original post by Glubz
Running will always make you gain. It's a myth that it makes you lose weight. Your fat turns into muscle mostly

Get out.
Reply 9
Original post by Glubz
Running will always make you gain. It's a myth that it makes you lose weight. Your fat turns into muscle mostly.

bruh

Original post by WoodyMKC
As long as you're still getting enough calories and it's not interfering with your recovery, crack on. In fact, some light cardio a couple times a week can help your recovery from the lifting by getting some blood pumping round the body.

I think I'll try it out a bit longer and see whether any noticeable differences take place in terms of my weight, strength and recovery time and then we'll see
The key is your diet. Do more cardio then eat more food.

Quick Reply

Latest