The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Environmental Management and Technology

Hello!

I am hopefully going to start Environmental Management and Technology course in February (just applied!)

I would like to finish the degree in 4 years and thinking to sign up for 120 credits to start with. I would be doing Environment: journeys through a changing world (U116) and Exploring science (S104) at the same time. Now the U116 seems ok but I am a bit worried about S104 as finished school 8 years ago and wasn't great in maths/science. Since than I went to uni to study business management and still have 60 credits from there but wont be transferring it as the subjects are not related.

Anyway, my question is - can the 2 units be done simultaneously? I have to mention I am about to give birth around new year and my baby will be only 1 moth old at the start of the course. I won't be working.

I am really interested in both units and I am sure I will enjoy the sience side of it as my interests and attitude has completely changed since I left school. My husband has a degree in Physics so he would be able to help me out with maths and sience a bit.

Any suggestions would be great! Also anyone studying Environmental degrees are welcome to post any of their views, reviews and general informaton.

Many thanks!!!
Reply 1
You could do them together. I did them one after the other and look back and think I could have combined them to save time, but it would have been hard going. U116 wouldn't be a problem to take with something else, as you suspect. S104 is relentless by the time its halfway through though (but worth it - amazing module!) My best advice is to hit the ground running and get ahead to give yourself some breathing room for when life inevitably gets in the way. You wouldn't be working, so the time for full time study is there, but motivation is the hard part about distance learning. I find getting ahead where I can makes life a lot more enjoyable and less like a constant guilt ridden journey of "I should be reading that book!"

Try searching http://www.universitybooksearch.co.uk/ for 2nd hand module textbooks to get started on the reading as soon as possible. (Of course, then you have a spare set of texts when the module materials get delivered to you)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I think S104 is slightly more manageable these days in that after Book 5, you don't HAVE to study the remaining three books, which are on earth history (geology/palaeontology), quantum physics and astrobiology respectively, you can just focus on one and there will be questions to choose from in the exam. Of course, if you focus on geology say and then don't like the geology question in the exam, you have to answer it anyway, answering the other questions would be guesswork. But if you have prepared properly then it shouldn't be a problem.

Also at level 1, I advise getting the most you can out of it of course, to give you the best foundation of understanding for the rest of your degree, but if you did end up with lower marks than aiming for, bear in mind all you need is to pass both modules, neither count towards your degree classification at this stage.

PS Congratulations on taking the plunge with the OU!

PPS having a physics graduate for a husband would be very helpful!
Original post by aygiena
Hello!

I am hopefully going to start Environmental Management and Technology course in February (just applied!)

I would like to finish the degree in 4 years and thinking to sign up for 120 credits to start with. I would be doing Environment: journeys through a changing world (U116) and Exploring science (S104) at the same time. Now the U116 seems ok but I am a bit worried about S104 as finished school 8 years ago and wasn't great in maths/science. Since than I went to uni to study business management and still have 60 credits from there but wont be transferring it as the subjects are not related.

Anyway, my question is - can the 2 units be done simultaneously? I have to mention I am about to give birth around new year and my baby will be only 1 moth old at the start of the course. I won't be working.

I am really interested in both units and I am sure I will enjoy the sience side of it as my interests and attitude has completely changed since I left school. My husband has a degree in Physics so he would be able to help me out with maths and sience a bit.

Any suggestions would be great! Also anyone studying Environmental degrees are welcome to post any of their views, reviews and general informaton.

Many thanks!!!

You will possibly struggle if you're starting in February as many courses now only start in October. But you can double check all the start dates on the OU website and check whether they'll overlap effectively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending