The Student Room Group

About to leave college and I don't know what to do

I don't have any idea about what job to go into, what are some pathways? HELP!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Het98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apply everywhere and see what happens
Reply 3
I studied English language, history and art

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uni is what most people do when they have no idea what to do. Its another 3-4 years to decide. What grades did you get?
If you are in a position to do so, why not let yourself off the hook and 'have a year off'?

You are probably at home - you could spend a year doing different things, which appeal to you - explore some areas you MIGHT be interested in or feel drawn to, but without saying to yourself, this is what I will be. This has a few advantages:

1 - you will learn more about yourself and what you like and don't like, which will give you a basis to explore

2 - you will get very good experience in lots of things - teamwork, communication skills, all good experience to put on your CV and give you great examples to show what you have learned and your skillset

3 - It gives you space to see what you want to do - maybe a degree? or a job?

I would perhaps think of a little job where you can earn some money and go have a browse in the voluntary sector if you can - if you can commit the time ie 6 months to a year there is all sorts of opportunities out there - something will appeal to you

4 - challenge yourself to do something you are a teeny bit worried about or challenged by - this does not have to be a parachute jump - it could be something simple like, starting to run or starting to knit, or joining a book club OR something sporty that puts you out of your comfort zone

5 - if you can, could you plan a small independent trip for yourself? something like WOOFing?

It may not sound like it, but this experience will give you space and experience and in a way free you up to thinking what you want to do next.

Whatever you do, know that you do not need to know exactly what you should do now for your career!

Original post by Het98

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Het98
I studied English language, history and art

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're into Art still then you could do an Art foundation course for a year. It's free, and you could get a part time job and save loads of money and perhaps go travelling the year after. That gives you two years of 'putting things off'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending