The Student Room Group

Physics Degree with Media Studies A-Level

I am currently studying Maths, Physics and Media Studies (AS level) at college. I am doing reasonably well in all of the subjects and believe I should get As and Bs in the Courses (As if I work hard). I am also taking a Polish A level which i am certain I will get an A/A* in as I am fluent in the language. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to get into a good University to study physics with these qualifications or if I my ambitions are too high. Studying physics at a university would be like a dream come true for me. I was thinking of changing my media course to a chemistry course recently but I have been very impolitely declined by the Student Services in my college even though the teacher said it would be possible for me to catch up. I head that Universities really don't like "soft" subjects and I am worried I will not get into a good university.
I think you should fight back (get your parents involved) about not being able to change course. It's in the college's interest to facilitate studies of STEM subjects. It would require some catch-up but since these are A-levels we're talking about it's not infeasible. The good news is that in general studying Media Studies shouldn't be a problem as long as it accompanies two 'good' subjects. However, you might want to make what you mean by a 'good' university more clear. If somewhere like Bristol is what you're aiming for, their entry requirements are AAA and you'll probably want to demonstrate that in your AS year by getting solid As in mock exams or demonstrating that level of progress to your teachers. If you end up really getting into and excelling in Physics and Maths A level then I don't think this potential problem will rear its head. Where having Media Studies in your selection may be a problem is if your grades in Maths and Physics are at the lower end of the applicant pool and every decision is down to the wire. Media Studies will form part of your final offer so you'll still have to devote plenty of time to that subject. On that basis, and because I think Chemistry is a more interesting and useful subject, you should transfer if you can. If not, don't worry and focus on getting those As, particularly in Maths and Physics.

That being said, this is contingent on you not massively downgrading your mark. If you are aiming for an A/B in Media Studies and convert to aiming for a C/D in Chemistry that might be a disadvantage. And you will absolutely have to commit to catching up. Did you get as good a GCSE in Chemistry as you got in Maths and Physics?

Also, I'm just going by the impression I get from university admissions criteria, this might be different from what the departments actually think, which is hardly well communicated. If possible, I suggest contacting the admissions department of several universities and seeing what they have to say.
Reply 2
Original post by Unkempt_One
I think you should fight back (get your parents involved) about not being able to change course. It's in the college's interest to facilitate studies of STEM subjects. It would require some catch-up but since these are A-levels we're talking about it's not infeasible. The good news is that in general studying Media Studies shouldn't be a problem as long as it accompanies two 'good' subjects. However, you might want to make what you mean by a 'good' university more clear. If somewhere like Bristol is what you're aiming for, their entry requirements are AAA and you'll probably want to demonstrate that in your AS year by getting solid As in mock exams or demonstrating that level of progress to your teachers. If you end up really getting into and excelling in Physics and Maths A level then I don't think this potential problem will rear its head. Where having Media Studies in your selection may be a problem is if your grades in Maths and Physics are at the lower end of the applicant pool and every decision is down to the wire. Media Studies will form part of your final offer so you'll still have to devote plenty of time to that subject. On that basis, and because I think Chemistry is a more interesting and useful subject, you should transfer if you can. If not, don't worry and focus on getting those As, particularly in Maths and Physics.

That being said, this is contingent on you not massively downgrading your mark. If you are aiming for an A/B in Media Studies and convert to aiming for a C/D in Chemistry that might be a disadvantage. And you will absolutely have to commit to catching up. Did you get as good a GCSE in Chemistry as you got in Maths and Physics?

Also, I'm just going by the impression I get from university admissions criteria, this might be different from what the departments actually think, which is hardly well communicated. If possible, I suggest contacting the admissions department of several universities and seeing what they have to say.

Thank you so much for your reply as it told me more about the system than the lady at the Student Services at my college as she just shouted at me that I had a lot of time to make up my decision. I am now getting my parents involved as they believe it is my life and the college should not limit my options like that If I am capable of getting a good grade. I am also very dedicated to getting As in all of my A levels as I really want to go to a good university and have basically caught up with 1/2 of all of the chemistry class has done within 1 weekend.

As for my GCSEs, I got Maths (A), Physics (A) and Chemistry (A) whereas I ended up with a B for my media studies. This alone should be a sign that I am more capable in chemistry rather than media and there should be no problem of changing. Also, I took media because I was always told I am very good with photoshop and it would be a nice break from the academic subjects however Media is not as easy as I thought as the exam aspect of it is rather difficult. I am currently getting A/B in Physics and a D/C in maths (really bad teacher, whole class has complained) and a A/B in Media however I believe I could turn this into As with some solid revision.

Once again thank you for your response as it cleared everything up for me quite a lot.
Original post by MediaSucks
Thank you so much for your reply as it told me more about the system than the lady at the Student Services at my college as she just shouted at me that I had a lot of time to make up my decision. I am now getting my parents involved as they believe it is my life and the college should not limit my options like that If I am capable of getting a good grade. I am also very dedicated to getting As in all of my A levels as I really want to go to a good university and have basically caught up with 1/2 of all of the chemistry class has done within 1 weekend.

As for my GCSEs, I got Maths (A), Physics (A) and Chemistry (A) whereas I ended up with a B for my media studies. This alone should be a sign that I am more capable in chemistry rather than media and there should be no problem of changing. Also, I took media because I was always told I am very good with photoshop and it would be a nice break from the academic subjects however Media is not as easy as I thought as the exam aspect of it is rather difficult. I am currently getting A/B in Physics and a D/C in maths (really bad teacher, whole class has complained) and a A/B in Media however I believe I could turn this into As with some solid revision.

Once again thank you for your response as it cleared everything up for me quite a lot.

No problem. Yeah, from what you're saying it seems you would be much better off doing Chemistry, and I'm glad you're getting your parents involved. If you're already about to catch up it seems you definitely have the commitment to make the change. You've definitely received bad advice if you were told to use your third subject as 'break'. That should be reserved for a fourth subject, and in any case as you seem to have discovered A levels can be challenging even if they're supposedly 'easy' subjects. :smile:

The situation with your Maths teacher sounds unfortunate. I hope they will be transferred soon. In the meantime you might want to rely on some self-study to get yourself up to scratch. I'd suggest reading the syllabi for whatever exam board you're with and finding problems to practice the areas you haven't been taught properly, both through textbooks and maybe sampling some old past papers (you'll want to save more recent ones to peruse in the period before examinations :wink:). It is very important that your Maths is up to scratch if you want to study Physics at university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending