The Student Room Group

Pharmacy not good anymore?

Hi everyone. I need help deciding between careers urgently cause I have to send my application in a month. I thought I'd do pharmacy but I'm concerned due to saturation, job prospects, salary, etc.. Yet on unistats it looks like all graduates are doing well https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10003645FT-UMPH4BSPR/ReturnTo/Search But then there's also articles like these http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/opinion/comment/with-no-control-on-student-numbers-tomorrows-pharmacists-will-have-a-bleak-future/20067055.article I'm also looking into optometry but I can't find much on the situation online so I desperately need guidance in choosing https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10001478FT-USOPTY/ReturnTo/Search The salary seems the same but I don't know whether to trust it because http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3334946/Best-paid-jobs-2015-Compare-pay-UK-average-350-professions.html seems to show different salaries and job prospects. Keep in mind I am an international students and would have to pay 60-80k to do these courses so I am looking for a good salary in return (30k+) so I can pay off debt. Also how much maths and physics is studied in optometry? I'm not particularly good with physics. SO worried, any help is appreciated
Yo guess what?

Pay no attention to all them stuffs
Just do ya ting mate
I don't pay attention to them It's not coz am applying for pharmacy next year at uni
It's because I feel happy with my decision
Trust me man you will meet different people throughout your life
And of course pharmacy will help you achieve this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being a third year pharmacy student, I can confidently tell you that pharmacy is set to expand over the next couple of years. When I applied at first, the student room was brimming with negative stories about pharmacy, someone had one warning or the other to give to prospective students, almost on a daily basis. However, I ignored and boy, am I glad I did. First of all, do you know that you will almost always be guaranteed a job in whatever country you decide to live in? Pharmacists in the US get paid 6 figures, about 4 times the average income. It is definitely something worth bearing in mind.
Now in the UK, because of the shortage of doctors, pharmacists are being encouraged to take prescribing courses thus more opportunities (I reckon the older pharmacists are likely to be more interested in this, freeing up space for us). Basically, in the next couple of year, you will find more "Pharmacist Prescribers" at GP surgery aiding in the management of mostly long term diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. My uni has even incorporated some prescribing activities as part of our assessment. Its more or less the future of pharmacy (in terms of increasing employment).
At the end of the day, Pharmacy will always be a good profession which will always be flexible, allowing for more expansion. It also has very strong guiding bodies (RPS + GPHC). Pharmacy is a respectable career and I really would advice you to apply for it. But beware though, it will not be a walk in the park. It is one of the hardest courses available at universities and as you progress through, you will find that you have less time for yourself. It will hinder you from fully enjoying uni life, especially in your third and fourth years. But when you are done, you will be glad you put in the effort.
Reply 3
Are you having a laugh ? Would not recommend pharmacy at the moment . The pay is disgusting and morale is generally very low amongst other pharmacists I meet . 6% reduction in our funding planned for next year . Making plans to exit this profession . Good luck but you will realise after actually working as a pharmacist what it entails . Plus you say strong guiding bodies ! They are part of the reason the profession has gone downhill .
Enough talking argumentative comments

In the future I'd raise pharmacy and business very successful

You all will see

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to Canada :P You'll make a bomb as a pharmacist
Original post by neldee95
Being a third year pharmacy student, I can confidently tell you that pharmacy is set to expand over the next couple of years. When I applied at first, the student room was brimming with negative stories about pharmacy, someone had one warning or the other to give to prospective students, almost on a daily basis. However, I ignored and boy, am I glad I did. First of all, do you know that you will almost always be guaranteed a job in whatever country you decide to live in? Pharmacists in the US get paid 6 figures, about 4 times the average income. It is definitely something worth bearing in mind.
Now in the UK, because of the shortage of doctors, pharmacists are being encouraged to take prescribing courses thus more opportunities (I reckon the older pharmacists are likely to be more interested in this, freeing up space for us). Basically, in the next couple of year, you will find more "Pharmacist Prescribers" at GP surgery aiding in the management of mostly long term diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. My uni has even incorporated some prescribing activities as part of our assessment. Its more or less the future of pharmacy (in terms of increasing employment).
At the end of the day, Pharmacy will always be a good profession which will always be flexible, allowing for more expansion. It also has very strong guiding bodies (RPS + GPHC). Pharmacy is a respectable career and I really would advice you to apply for it. But beware though, it will not be a walk in the park. It is one of the hardest courses available at universities and as you progress through, you will find that you have less time for yourself. It will hinder you from fully enjoying uni life, especially in your third and fourth years. But when you are done, you will be glad you put in the effort.

waiting for you to have a reality check when you graduate..... :rofl:
If you want to work in healthcare do medicine. Pharmacy is not a good choice. The wages are poor and decreasing and the field is absolutely saturated.
Original post by Gordon1000
If you want to work in healthcare do medicine. Pharmacy is not a good choice. The wages are poor and decreasing and the field is absolutely saturated.

How do you know the field is saturated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The pharmacy sector is very much saturated according to a local pharmacist I had a chat with. Moreover I have realised the urge of many pharmacists who want to open their own business and now its got to the point were a pharmacy is right next to a (you guessed it) pharmacy.
But to be honest the decision is yours. Are you willing to struggle to find a pharmacy job for the next year or two? Are you willing to be a locum pharmacist and travel up and down the country for an absolute crap wage? OK.
I'm happy that you're thinking about that and evaluating the situation, especially with the financial commitment you're about to make by going on this course. More young people should really think about what they study and the career prospects after that.
Original post by moneymania999
The pharmacy sector is very much saturated according to a local pharmacist I had a chat with. Moreover I have realised the urge of many pharmacists who want to open their own business and now its got to the point were a pharmacy is right next to a (you guessed it) pharmacy.
But to be honest the decision is yours. Are you willing to struggle to find a pharmacy job for the next year or two? Are you willing to be a locum pharmacist and travel up and down the country for an absolute crap wage? OK.

I don't mind about the wages
As long as you help people to satisfy their needs there should be no problem
And I ain't working for money
Im gonna work to help people because I feel happy when I help them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just look at the PJ Online site. I know it is Christmas and people recruit in other ways these days. The site says presently: "There are no jobs". Ten years ago you would get twenty pages of adverts for pharmacists. If you do get a job in a shop conditions are poor and it probably won't be long before pharmacists wage levels go into terminal decline. There has been a massive expansion in the number of schools of pharmacy churning out pharmacists and you will also be competing for jobs with pharmacists from all over the EU. Many from countries where pharmacist wages are real low.
Original post by neldee95

You poor deluded fool! The RPS is as wet as bloody water! Let us know when you get a pre-reg and a full time permanent job. Then your eyes will open.
Original post by Gordon1000

Correct! Don't forget the stress! You will earn more managing an Aldi!
Original post by Splenge007
Go to Canada :P You'll make a bomb as a pharmacist

Very hard to get into Canada, maybe 10-15 yrs ago, now, not so much, unless you want to be out in the sticks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending