The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I voted 'yes'. If doctors are willing to do it (if that is indeed what is required), and the terminally ill person is of sound-mind, I don't have any ideological objection.

However, there may well be non-ideological reasons which would make prohibition wise. If there are, hopefully someone in this thread will enlighten me.
Reply 2
-1984-
It seems appalling to me that the UK is so far behind countries such as Belgium, the Netherlands, and parts of the United States. Surely a person who is terminally-ill should have the option to bring their life to an end.

Suicide isn't a criminal offence in Britain anymore.

It's assisting somebody in it that is.
Reply 3
phawkins1988
I voted 'yes'. If doctors are willing to do it (if that is indeed what is required), and the terminally ill person is of sound-mind, I don't have any ideological objection.

I'm impressed.
Reply 4
-1984-
I'm impressed.

*finger guns*
Reply 5
Lib North
Suicide isn't a criminal offence in Britain anymore.

It's assisting somebody in it that is.

Obviously, what I am referring to is the right of others to assist the terminally ill to bring their lives to an end, as long as the person in question does not assist the suicide out of negative motivation or for financial gain.
Reply 6
-1984-
Obviously, what I am referring to is the right of others to assist the terminally ill to bring their lives to an end, as long as the person in question does not assist the suicide out of negative motivation or for financial gain.

Well then may I point out the inconsistancy with your last sentence in the first post: "Surely a person who is terminally-ill should have the option to bring their life to an end." (your emphasis).
Reply 7
As for the question, it's quite a dull one. I suppose I'm ideologically bound to support its legalisation, but I very strongly oppose it.
Reply 8
Lib North
As for the question, it's quite a dull one. I suppose I'm ideologically bound to support its legalisation, but I very strongly oppose it.

What would be the argument for opposing it?
Reply 9
Lib North
Well then may I point out the inconsistancy with your last sentence in the first post: "Surely a person who is terminally-ill should have the option to bring their life to an end." (your emphasis).

Very well. I don't really see a contradiction to be honest, but I made my position clear in the third post.
Yes. Their body = their choice. It's that simple.
Reply 11
phawkins1988
What would be the argument for opposing it?

The huge potential for abuse.

Consider that the people giving advice at this time are likely to have undue influence - relatives and the like. Consider also that most people who may potentially use this are somewhat weak minded due to advanced medical problems or age.
Lib North
The huge potential for abuse.

Consider that the people giving advice at this time are likely to have undue influence - relatives and the like. Consider also that most people who may potentially use this are somewhat weak minded due to advanced medical problems or age.
Weak minded? About their own death? I don't believe that.
Reply 13
Agent Smith
Weak minded? About their own death? I don't believe that.

Oh I don't know; old folk are quite suggestable. They'll give away their life savings to some yobbo in an ill-fitting suit who tells them he's the gasman.
Lib North
Oh I don't know; old folk are quite suggestable. They'll give away their life savings to some yobbo in an ill-fitting suit who tells them he's the gasman.
So you'd rather the State stepped in to prevent people acting on their own stupidity?
Reply 15
Agent Smith
So you'd rather the State stepped in to prevent people acting on their own stupidity?

If they're weak-minded, insane or have their capacity otherwise compromised - then yes.
I think the assumption is that they would be of sound mind before this was even considered. Once that is established, it's their own lookout to avoid simply being stupid.
Reply 17
Agent Smith
I think the assumption is that they would be of sound mind before this was even considered. Once that is established, it's their own lookout to avoid simply being stupid.

There's a very fine line in these cases.
Reply 18
Yes - if i were ever in a position where I wanted it, I would be angry if it were denied
We should let anyone (except children and the seriously mentally ill) choose to die.

Latest

Trending

Trending