The Student Room Group

Received all my offers, best shot at IB?

Evening,
I received my 5th and final offer today for economics and i'm can happily say that i'm over the moon about it.
However, I'm interested in getting some advice/recommendations on what people think of theses places in terms of the uni and the course itself.
So I've got
Birmingham: Economics AAA or AABB
Nottingham: Applied for econ but got offered Industrial Economics instead at AAB
Sheffield: Economics AAB
UEA: Economics (unconditional firm) AAB (insurance)
Kent: Economics BBB
My top two really are Birmingham and Nottingham as I've been to both and love them! Although happy to hear any other verdicts that people have on the others.
Career wise, IB is the top goal, although we all know that competition is ridiculous; so have a secondary aspiration to work within Canary Wharf (big four or insurance etc) as I absolutely love it there.
Anyway, what do you think that I should pick?
Reply 1
Original post by Tyler1409
Evening,
I received my 5th and final offer today for economics and i'm can happily say that i'm over the moon about it.
However, I'm interested in getting some advice/recommendations on what people think of theses places in terms of the uni and the course itself.
So I've got
Birmingham: Economics AAA or AABB
Nottingham: Applied for econ but got offered Industrial Economics instead at AAB
Sheffield: Economics AAB
UEA: Economics (unconditional firm) AAB (insurance)
Kent: Economics BBB
My top two really are Birmingham and Nottingham as I've been to both and love them! Although happy to hear any other verdicts that people have on the others.
Career wise, IB is the top goal, although we all know that competition is ridiculous; so have a secondary aspiration to work within Canary Wharf (big four or insurance etc) as I absolutely love it there.
Anyway, what do you think that I should pick?

The two with the best prospects at getting into IB would be Birmingham and Nottingham without a doubt. Nottingham does have a slightly better reputation in terms of the amount of students who do end up working in investment banks (Nottingham is in the list of 'semi targets' if you like). Nonetheless, Birmingham still has a great reputation for getting into finance related jobs but it would be slightly harder to get into IB from Birmingham than from Nottingham.
Reply 2
Original post by tom_mcc
The two with the best prospects at getting into IB would be Birmingham and Nottingham without a doubt. Nottingham does have a slightly better reputation in terms of the amount of students who do end up working in investment banks (Nottingham is in the list of 'semi targets' if you like). Nonetheless, Birmingham still has a great reputation for getting into finance related jobs but it would be slightly harder to get into IB from Birmingham than from Nottingham.

Ahhh okay cheers!
Would that still be the case though with Nottingham as I've been offered industrial econ over pure econ?
Reply 3
Anyone else have any opinions?
Reply 4
I don't really know about that, I think pure econ would look better on a CV personally. What I would advise is not just picking the course for its IB prospects but for the course you think you would enjoy the most. If you want to know more about IB however, post this question in the IB forum where someone else might be able to give you a better answer.
Reply 5
Original post by tom_mcc
I don't really know about that, I think pure econ would look better on a CV personally. What I would advise is not just picking the course for its IB prospects but for the course you think you would enjoy the most. If you want to know more about IB however, post this question in the IB forum where someone else might be able to give you a better answer.

Ahh ok, thanks for your advice anyway man I appreciate it!
Reply 6
Original post by Tyler1409
Anyone else have any opinions?

Yes, Notts is best followed by Brum.

Recruiters will not be fussed about Industrial Econ vs pure Econ.
Reply 7
Original post by Texas.
Yes, Notts is best followed by Brum.

Recruiters will not be fussed about Industrial Econ vs pure Econ.

Cheers. It's looking like i'm going to firm Nottingham then :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending