The Student Room Group

Is Donald Trump right? Should the West stop muslim immigration

Poll

Should the West stop muslim immigration?

Following the controversy on Donald Trump & his comments on Islam, do you agree with him & are the political establishment out of touch on this issue?

Donald Trump has responded by saying 'I don't care' following criticism
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Instead of dropping immigration from Middle Eastern countries, the US should learn to import less oil from the Middle East.....

Spoiler

America - The nation of immigrants that are fearful of immigration.
Yes

And if muslims want muslim lands then why should they have issues with non-Muslim lands?
Reply 4
No and no.

There are issues that need to be worked on, but this isn't an answer.
he is the stupidest and most racist presidential candidate who doesnt think before he speaks.
How is this even a question. This is discrimination, clear and simple.

Original post by TheArtofProtest
America - The nation of immigrants that are fearful of immigration.
lol i know right
Original post by BaconandSauce
Yes

And if muslims want muslim lands then why should they have issues with non-Muslim lands?

Pretty much expected this response from you!

But no,that's isn't the solution. How about actually working with communities instead to combat home grown terrorism?
Of course he isn't right, that's ridiculous
God help America if trump is voted into power,I feel sorry for them
Yes

Because it looks like non-Muslims have historically had an issue with "Muslim lands*".

*They are not really Muslim lands per se, given the fact that in most countries, there are sizable minorities that do not ascribe to the Islamic faith.
Original post by eoe
Instead of dropping immigration from Middle Eastern countries, the US should learn to import less oil from the Middle East.....

Spoiler

Where have you been? Google "shale"...
Reply 12
Although I can maybe understand where Trump is coming from, I think generally people do have a genuine issue with Islam and Muslims in the West. Being an Ex-Muslim myself, I still have to deal with people thinking I'm Muslim (because of my skin colour) and therefore despite my respect for all that this country has offered and provided me with, If it becomes clearer that people want and would be happier for Muslims to leave, I would seriously consider doing so in the future, because life is too short for me to be dealing with such criticism for no reason whatsoever.
Reply 13
America is going back to where it started.
First discrimination against blacks, the country then progressed a lot, now it's back to square one with discriminating Muslims.
Original post by queen-bee

But no,that's isn't the solution. How about actually working with communities instead to combat home grown terrorism?

So you agree then there should no such things as 'muslim' countries

And FYI my community has nothing to do with Islamic terrorism
So you agree then there should no such things as 'muslim' countries

And FYI my community has nothing to do with Islamic terrorism

What are you talking about? Who mentioned the term 'Muslim' countries?
You have this weird 'us' and 'them' mentality

I'm talking about home grown terrorism and law enforcement working with communities where there may be a risk of people/youngsters being radicalised like they have in places such as Birmingham I think? Remember seeing it on the news one day
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by queen-bee

Isn't it easier to avoid the problem entirely, tbh America doesn't have a big problem of radicalization like the UK, but that's another reason to avoid the problem before it starts ..

And btw this is a popular opinion in America, Trump is a populist, so it makes political sense to say it
Original post by demx9
Isn't it easier to avoid the problem entirely, tbh America doesn't have a big problem of radicalization like the UK, but that's another reason to avoid the problem before it starts ..

And btw this is a popular opinion in America, Trump is a populist, so it makes political sense to say it

By what,discriminating and profile people because of their religion?
Reply 18
Original post by HAnwar
America is going back to where it started.
First discrimination against blacks, the country then progressed a lot, now it's back to square one with discriminating Muslims.

In my opinion this time is different because whatever we say about Daesh not representing Islam they do claim and offer certain interpretations ultimately derived from Islamic Scripture and therefore in the case of discrimination against Muslims, they do have some sort of justification, not that it's correct to label everyone a terrorist but you can see where they are coming from.

Moreover if you look at the actual "home grown" terrorists like the ones that carried out the attacks in Paris, they look like "normal" moderate Muslims. No long beard, hair or even clothing. So its become very difficult to differentiate between radical and non-radical. However much I may disagree with Trump, I give him credence for at-least trying to be truthful. Rather than getting hurt or upset about what he said, why not try and come up with a viable alternative to help deal with the problem? How else would you personally differentiate between a potential extremist and "moderate"?
Original post by eoe

Spoiler

The US is already looking at becoming a net exporter of oil due to shale although this somewhat depends on how long the Saudi's depress oil prices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending