The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Official Accommodation Thread 2016

Hi everyone!

Now that accommodation applications are open for 2016 entry we've decided to make an official accommodation Q&A thread to keep everything in one place :smile:

You can use this thread to discuss anything related to accommodation at Newcastle University. Our team will be responding to your queries as well. For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

Useful Links
2016-17 Student Accommodation Brochure
List of University Accommodation
Online Application Form
How to Apply Guide
Allocation Policy
Student Blogs about Accommodation

If there's anything you think we should add to that list, let us know!

The site will be monitored Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm and we will aim to respond to you within 24 hours.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Christina, Persephone, Matt and Rachel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just got an unconditional offer to study English Language at Newcastle! Its my first choice uni and because im on my gap year im starting to look at accommodation now. If anyone has any advice for choosing accommodation or any pros/cons for any that would be really helpful. Leaning towards Park Terrace at the moment.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
I'm in the same boat, on a gap year and have an unconditional offer for Ecology. I find myself getting very lost trawling through the accomodation pages so i'd love to get some advice as well! :smile:
Depending on money there's dif options - Park Terrace was my first choice however due to the random allocation I didn't get into any of my preferred halls and had to end up swapping with someone to Bowsden Court, which was my third choice. Windsor Terrace is next to the library and I really liked it there and it's a cheaper option if you're wanting to save money. Here's a blogpost I did on accomodation
http://thelifeofanewcastlestudent.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/flatmates.html if you wanna know anymore ask away :smile: Ricky and Leazes I would not recommend unless you're a party person and are up for dropping your standards unless you get really nice flatmates. The View / Liberty Plaza are gorgeous but hella expensive.
Original post by Ingles
I've just got an unconditional offer to study English Language at Newcastle! Its my first choice uni and because im on my gap year im starting to look at accommodation now. If anyone has any advice for choosing accommodation or any pros/cons for any that would be really helpful. Leaning towards Park Terrace at the moment.

Original post by davros1996
I'm in the same boat, on a gap year and have an unconditional offer for Ecology. I find myself getting very lost trawling through the accomodation pages so i'd love to get some advice as well! :smile:

Congratulations to you two! Do you mind telling me what grades you were predicted and your respective GCSE grade profile? Thanks! :h:
Reply 5
Original post by dezza156
Depending on money there's dif options - Park Terrace was my first choice however due to the random allocation I didn't get into any of my preferred halls and had to end up swapping with someone to Bowsden Court, which was my third choice. Windsor Terrace is next to the library and I really liked it there and it's a cheaper option if you're wanting to save money. Here's a blogpost I did on accomodation
http://thelifeofanewcastlestudent.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/flatmates.html if you wanna know anymore ask away :smile: Ricky and Leazes I would not recommend unless you're a party person and are up for dropping your standards unless you get really nice flatmates. The View / Liberty Plaza are gorgeous but hella expensive.

Thank you this was really helpful! :smile:
Original post by CourtlyCanter
Congratulations to you two! Do you mind telling me what grades you were predicted and your respective GCSE grade profile? Thanks! :h:

I studied in France so no GCSEs for me; got "mention bien" (14,5/20) in my French Baccalaureate :smile:
Reply 7
I'm in Windsor terrace at the minute and love it! It is a lot higher quality than other accommodation of the same price range (such as castle leazes) and much closer to the uni.
Original post by davros1996
I studied in France so no GCSEs for me; got "mention bien" (14,5/20) in my French Baccalaureate :smile:

Oh happy days! I guess you're firming it then :smile:
Original post by CourtlyCanter
Oh happy days! I guess you're firming it then :smile:

I probably will soon enough, just waiting to hear back from a few longshot applications. That said the more I hear about Newcastle, the more i'm sure that it's where i'd like to go. I can't wait to get started! :smile:
I've got an offer for Newcastle too! :smile:

I'm wanting to go to Park Terrace, Liberty Plaza, The View, or Victoria Hall (in that order). I think everyone wants to go to Park Terrace so I highly doubt I'll end up there ;(
I'm at Marris and I absolutely love it! Really cheap (£96/week, currently £3,675k/year but might go up for 2016), toilet and shower only shared between three, pretty good location and a lovely kitchen area. Other than that, Park Terrace has seemed lovely when I've been for prinks, even though there aren't any pictures on the Newcastle Uni website (though don't know if it's reaaaaaaly worth paying extra for an ensuite), and people at Leazes Parade seem pretty happen. I would recommend avoiding the managed partnership ones (Liberty Plaza, The View, Vicky Halls etc), as they are further away from campus and the other uni accommodation, and usually not as sociable, and in my opinion it's not really worth nearly £2k extra/year for just your own ensuite. My friends in the managed partnerships ones really don't seem too happy in them.

If you have any Marris-specific questions then feel free to ask
Reply 12
Anyone know anything about Easton Flats??
Best richardson road alternative?Sociable halls on the campus and not too grim :smile:
Original post by Tom5pence
Best richardson road alternative?Sociable halls on the campus and not too grim :smile:

castle leazes is meant to be sociable. It is £95/week self catered, but they also do catered, although that costs a bit more.
I'm basically having to apply for the accommodation closest to the uni due to a medical issue which means sometimes I can't walk :frown::frown:
Reply 16
I went to an open day and found out that park terrace isn't really for me (Its really nice and close to campus but very isolated and not sociable) and i've heard that castle leazes is a great place to live in your first year to meet loads of people etc- any thoughts????
Reply 17
Original post by sadiowitch
I'm basically having to apply for the accommodation closest to the uni due to a medical issue which means sometimes I can't walk :frown::frown:

if i were you Id definitely apply for windsor or park terrace as they are the closest to the university :smile:
Original post by Ingles
if i were you Id definitely apply for windsor or park terrace as they are the closest to the university :smile:

Can you help me think of a good list of accomodation for me? I want to have one really close the uni buildings and with larger, nicer, en-suite rooms. Not too bothered about the expenses.
I am in Windsor Terrace right now. I love it. My block is just perfect. It has people who like to go out but are respectful when it comes to volume. Its also one of the cheapest accomodations but is actually quite nice and so close to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest