The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Official Accommodation Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi everyone! (Bear with me, it is about accommodation!!)
I am so stuck between choosing bath and Newcastle!
My problem is I'm like 80% sure I won't get the grades for Bath but I don't want to rule it out as it is (only just) my preferred option. I love both but my heart is at Bath.
The problem is I don't know which to firm or insure! I really really like windsor terrace and park terrace and don't really want accommodation below my top 6 at newcastle, so if I was to insure newcastle is it likely I would get accommodation in any of my 6 top choices? I know its done randomly for people who firm newcastle but wasn't sure how it works for if you insure?

Basically, I don't mind firming newcastle and then if I was to get the grades for Bath (miraculously) then take a year off and go next year, if I had more of a chance to get the accommodation for newcastle, I hope this isn't too confusing but I would super appreciate any advice, thank you!!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 61
I wonder if the guranteed accomenodation for new undergraduates will be affected if i do not put Newcastle as Firmed choice, but put as Insurance choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JojoABC
I wonder if the guranteed accomenodation for new undergraduates will be affected if i do not put Newcastle as Firmed choice, but put as Insurance choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:
The guarantee of accommodation is for students who meet allterms of the guarantee which includes choosing Newcastle as your firm choiceUniversity.Further information on the guarantee and what happens tostudents who aren’t covered is available at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/students/guarantee/undergraduate/and http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/students/guarantee/undergraduate/clearing.htm
Best wishes,

Christina
does anyone know the admissionsemail for newcastle university?
Reply 64
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I'm at Marris and I absolutely love it! Really cheap (£96/week, currently £3,675k/year but might go up for 2016), toilet and shower only shared between three, pretty good location and a lovely kitchen area. Other than that, Park Terrace has seemed lovely when I've been for prinks, even though there aren't any pictures on the Newcastle Uni website (though don't know if it's reaaaaaaly worth paying extra for an ensuite), and people at Leazes Parade seem pretty happen. I would recommend avoiding the managed partnership ones (Liberty Plaza, The View, Vicky Halls etc), as they are further away from campus and the other uni accommodation, and usually not as sociable, and in my opinion it's not really worth nearly £2k extra/year for just your own ensuite. My friends in the managed partnerships ones really don't seem too happy in them.

If you have any Marris-specific questions then feel free to ask

Hi, I have put marris house as first choice, what is location like? are the rooms mixed gender? Are they pretty sociably halls with parties and stuff?

Thanks a lot, Joe
Original post by lbrooksbank
does anyone know the admissionsemail for newcastle university?

Hi :smile:

If you want to get in touch with the Accommodation Team there's a list of contact details here.

There's a general enquiry form here as well, or if you have a question about a specific subject or your application we can pass it on for you - just PM us the details :smile:

Hope that helps

Persephone
Does anyone here have experience of/applied for private accommodation in the first year?

I'm hoping to get into Newcastle through Adjustment as I have now decided I don't actually want to move away :/
I definitely want to move out but there is a chance I may not get accommodation since I'm a local student.
I have looked at Newcastle 1 - and been told that if I paid the deposit and did not actually get in through adjustment, I would have it refunded.
Reply 67
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi everyone!

Now that accommodation applications are open for 2016 entry we've decided to make an official accommodation Q&A thread to keep everything in one place :smile:

You can use this thread to discuss anything related to accommodation at Newcastle University. Our team will be responding to your queries as well. For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

Useful Links
2016-17 Student Accommodation Brochure
List of University Accommodation
Online Application Form
How to Apply Guide
Allocation Policy
Student Blogs about Accommodation

If there's anything you think we should add to that list, let us know!

The site will be monitored Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm and we will aim to respond to you within 24 hours.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Christina, Persephone, Matt and Rachel

when do accommodation offers begin to be given out? Specifically for people who have firmed and accepted unconditional offers coming from gap year.i.e. ive put all my preferences down on the online application page. when should i expect to hear back?
What's the cheapest hall I can get closest to campus? or atleast the names of the halls closest to campus?
Reply 69
I'm at Marris and I absolutely love it! Really cheap (£96/week, currently £3,675k/year but might go up for 2016), toilet and shower only shared between three, pretty good location and a lovely kitchen area. Other than that, Park Terrace has seemed lovely when I've been for prinks, even though there aren't any pictures on the Newcastle Uni website (though don't know if it's reaaaaaaly worth paying extra for an ensuite), and people at Leazes Parade seem pretty happen. I would recommend avoiding the managed partnership ones (Liberty Plaza, The View, Vicky Halls etc), as they are further away from campus and the other uni accommodation, and usually not as sociable, and in my opinion it's not really worth nearly £2k extra/year for just your own ensuite. My friends in the managed partnerships ones really don't seem too happy in them.

I've heard that Marris is usually full of gap year students. Not that I'd mind, but is this true?
Original post by Nu Natty
when do accommodation offers begin to be given out? Specifically for people who have firmed and accepted unconditional offers coming from gap year.i.e. ive put all my preferences down on the online application page. when should i expect to hear back?

Hi,

Guaranteed students between May and end of August;

Non-Guaranteed students, ie late applications, Insurance candidates, Clearing candidatesand local students not firm choice by Thursday 1 September

They are sent out in batches so if another UF student hears back before you do there's no need to worry :smile:

All the best,

Persephone
Not sure if I have posted this right but...

I'm a Y12 student who's thinking of studying Psychology at Newcastle... I'm not reserved but I'm not the type to go out and drink.. so bit worried about meeting new ppl
So I have two main questions:

1) Which type if accommodation is quiet and isn't too expensive (hard to ask for since hoping for ensuite bathroom)
2) What is the area like around said accommodation?

Visiting the open day in July and hoping to be able to compare it to UEA uni

Thank you :smile:
Just wondering whether the non-ensuite accommodations are gender mixed? If so does that meant that the bathroom facilities are shared between both genders? If so what accommodations does this apply to at Newcastle as I would like to live in a mixed accommodation but sharing toilets and showers with the opposite sex I'm unsure about...
Original post by DaniBerni
Just wondering whether the non-ensuite accommodations are gender mixed? If so does that meant that the bathroom facilities are shared between both genders? If so what accommodations does this apply to at Newcastle as I would like to live in a mixed accommodation but sharing toilets and showers with the opposite sex I'm unsure about...

Hi Dani,

Here's some info from the Accommodation Team that might help you :smile:

In all residences we will have areas that will be single gender and others that are mixed. There is more of a demand for mixed gender residences, so obviously more rooms are set up as that, but we certainly have single gender too.

The only time this differs is in the likes of Castle Leazes and the washbasin rooms that run on a corridor. As each corridor as communal bathrooms the floors are set up as single gender, we never mix the corridor floors like we would a flat.

We are never area specific on what offers what mix. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Persephone
Reply 74
Hi.
What is the most quiet accommodation there is?
I'm looking at St James' Point and St James' House - whilst not uni managed accommodation I'm only looking for studios and whilst money is important I think room size and facilities are more so. Have you heard any negative reviews of St James' Point or St James' Place (managed by Prime Student Living)? I love the look of it and it's a great location.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey. :smile: do you know anybody who lived in these: Victoria Hall, Windsor Terrace and Bowsden? I think they look great.
Reply 77
Hi!

I'm a postgrad now looking for accommodation and I need to know some information about postgrad halls:

- I am thinking about putting Jesmond Road as my top choice but I am concerned about sharing the bathrooms with people from different genders, is it a possibility?

- I saw in the overview accommodation page (available on the website) that bathrooms are usually shared between 5 people (Jesmond) or 6 (Easton Flats) . But, is it also possible to have flats with less than 5/6 people?

If someone lived or is going to live in Jesmond Road accommodation, Leazes Terrace or Easton Flats, I would like to know some opinions.

Thanks!
Deposit paid for St James' House!
Reply 79

Thanks for sharing those information! I need advice from you, if you may. I just received an offer of accommodation at Marris, but I'm a bit anxious about the 'disturbance caused by ongoing building work' near the house as stated on the uni website. So to what extent will that be a problem you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending