The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Geography

INFO AND REVISION HELP PLEASE!

Need some tips for AS Level Geography (AQA) please (revision tips)
Also, tell me your experience with this subject (Year 12)
Is it normal to do bad in your assessments?
Recommended books that work effectively?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, are you currently doing your AS or
A2??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Discuss the impact of migration on national population structure and implications for the balance between population and resources (15 marks)
what points would you include?
how would you structure this?

AS Level
AQA
Original post by edward99
Discuss the impact of migration on national population structure and implications for the balance between population and resources (15 marks)
what points would you include?
how would you structure this?

AS Level
AQA

I think that was on the AS paper last year which I did, I think I wrote about migration from Poland to the UK and the social, economic, environmental and political implications that this has!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Schu98

Thanks

Hello,

So I did Geography AS (Now A2) because I was good at it even though I hated it. At the start of the course I was awful, failed most my questions. By the end of the course I got full marks at AS.
My tips would be.
1. Case studies, I know everyone goes on about them but you have to know them inside out.
2. Learn different case studies. Examiners are people too and it gets boring to read the same case study hundreds of time. Make the examiner happy and you'll get nicer marks.
3. Focus on nailing those 15 mark questions. In the end they make up the bulk of the marks.
4. The government have announced they want a focus on knowledge recall questions. Make sure you're up for a question that simply asks you to recite facts. They may not come up but they may well make a huge appearance.
5. The exam board LOVE 'comment on' questions, there will always be one in a paper, if not a few. Make sure you know and understand what they look for with these questions.

I hope this is in some way helpful. If you need anymore tips or anything, don't hesitate to ask!
I'm positive it'll be fine, As levels are a shock when you first start them so doing bad in assessments is normal and at A2 it'll step up again but you get used to it!
Original post by Schu98
Which revision guides did you use?
Did you these?

CGP:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Geogra...+geography+aqa

Collins: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

*If you have used both, tell me which one was more effective please

I had the CPG one but I wouldn't recommend it as i found it didn't go into enough detail, I don't know about the other two but i'm sure they will be great.
Original post by Schu98
Is there any revision/student guides you recommend? I'd like full marks too :biggrin:

Learning a revision guide will get you a C, they don't give you enough detail. To get full marks, you need to do extra reading, learn everything inside out and know how to play the exam game.
I opened my revision guide once.
I guess it depends on how you revise, some people find them helpful, I personally don't.

Sorry, it's not very helpful haha.
Original post by Schu98
So what did you use lol? The revision guide?

I used the GGP revision guide at AS admittedly and it was in sufficient detail as long as you knew your case studies to go alongside it really well, and just learnt a few random snippets of information here and there from the news or magazine articles which you could potentially apply etc. At AS they're definitely good enough (I got full UMS), but at A2 I wouldn't recommend it as there is a lot more theory and case study knowledge and 40 mark essays. If you need any help drop me a PM, got full marks across my whole Geography A-level :smile:
Anyone have predictions for this year?
Original post by Schu98

Thanks

best way to get top marks is to add detail to your answers such as names of places and statistics. I would avoid cgp as they are quite brief but in some cases may help you.
I'm also doing AS this year. In my most recent mock, I got the following results, are they bad?
- Rivers 20
- Glacier 3
- Population 22
- Energy 12

And for Skills I got
43/50

Overall I got a C for Unit 1 and A for Unit 2 so total was a B
I do AQA, are these results bad?
Any predictions for this years questions from you/teachers?
Reply 12
I find skills quite difficult, any tips??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody have the mark scheme for June 2015 Geog1 AS AQA?
Reply 14
for your AS level what topics did you study? have you got any tips or helpful resources? my first exam is in two weeks and I'm really struggling with physical in particular (coasts and rivers)
This may help for case studies, at least 20 on the document... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/252380941352?
Reply 16
Can I use the mark schemes for GEOG1 to learn off? Not the human ones because they are too vague, but the shorter physical questions have an example with them. Can I use these to revise from? Are they what I need to put to get full marks? For Cold Environments, they have explanations for features like drumlins or eskers depending on the Q. Is the answer they write hitting the higher AO3 and AO4 bands? Basically if I write down something exactly from an old mark scheme in the exam (if the question is similar) will I get higher marks. So I'm trying to use the mark scheme as a revision tool.
Hi there I posted a link to my geography blog a few years back on a A2 AQA geography thread and got a lot of positive feedback and some happy geography students! so I'm reposting it for anyone who may find it useful again. It contains all my notes for A2-Level geography but some may also be of use for AS as well. so if you do find it useful please share it to any relevant forum/friend. http://a2aqageography.blogspot.co.uk/ :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending