The Student Room Group
Campus, St Mary's University College, Twickenham
St Mary's University, Twickenham
Twickenham

St Mary's University, Twickenham - Drama and Applied Theatre

Hey all!

I'm potentially applying for the Drama and Applied Theatre BA, but I have a really important question about the course for anybody who has either studied or is studying on it.

How practical is it really? The course content leaflet repeatedly states the university provides 'drama school style practical training'. How accurate is this statement?

The reason I ask is because I want to have more of a vocational training rather than an academic one, endless lectures and essays isn't quite my cup of tea.

Any honest answers would be appreciated! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PAStudent1996
Hey all!

I'm potentially applying for the Drama and Applied Theatre BA, but I have a really important question about the course for anybody who has either studied or is studying on it.

How practical is it really? The course content leaflet repeatedly states the university provides 'drama school style practical training'. How accurate is this statement?

The reason I ask is because I want to have more of a vocational training rather than an academic one, endless lectures and essays isn't quite my cup of tea.

Any honest answers would be appreciated! :smile:

Hello,

Christian from St Marys here! I graduated from the Physical Theatre course summer 2015, but I know all three pathways pretty well.

St Mary's offers a drama school training with a massive 30 contact hours per week and believe me, you don't get that in many Drama schools.
The Applied Theatre course is very much community based, working with people for people if that makes sense.

The Applied shows have always challenged crucial subject matters - and effectively connected with and challenged their audiences.

The Applied students have always made it clear that they don't get 'actor training'... however I do believe they now have modules in core technical skills like 'movement and voice'.

If you are looking for a concrete actor training I would look more towards the Theatre Arts pathway. Physical Theatre also offers 'Actor Training' but with more focus on the 'Actor as a Creator'.

I hope this helps!

Drama St Marys is definitely where its at - a beautiful campus and just 30 minutes from Central London.

If you have any further questions let me know!

Christian
Campus, St Mary's University College, Twickenham
St Mary's University, Twickenham
Twickenham
Original post by St Mary's University, Twickenham
Hello,

Christian from St Marys here! I graduated from the Physical Theatre course summer 2015, but I know all three pathways pretty well.

St Mary's offers a drama school training with a massive 30 contact hours per week and believe me, you don't get that in many Drama schools.
The Applied Theatre course is very much community based, working with people for people if that makes sense.

The Applied shows have always challenged crucial subject matters - and effectively connected with and challenged their audiences.

The Applied students have always made it clear that they don't get 'actor training'... however I do believe they now have modules in core technical skills like 'movement and voice'.

If you are looking for a concrete actor training I would look more towards the Theatre Arts pathway. Physical Theatre also offers 'Actor Training' but with more focus on the 'Actor as a Creator'.

I hope this helps!

Drama St Marys is definitely where its at - a beautiful campus and just 30 minutes from Central London.

If you have any further questions let me know!

Christian

First of all thank you very much for your reply.

I've taken a look at the Drama and Theatre Arts programme and I can see where you are coming from, it looks a lot more like what I am looking for in regards to an actors training! I think I'll be adding it as one of my choices :smile:

Is there anything you can tell me about what the audition process is like, having studied on a similar pathway yourself.

Thanks again :smile:

I've taken a look at the Drama and Theatre Arts programme and I can see where you are coming from, it looks a lot more like what I am looking for in regards to an actors training! I think I'll be adding it as one of my choices :smile:

Is there anything you can tell me about what the audition process is like, having studied on a similar pathway yourself.

Hello! :smile:

Glad I can help, picking the right institution is vital and it is important you choose the right course!

The audition process for me was a bit daunting as it was my first ever audition - however as soon as I arrived on the Campus, I met some really nice student ambassadors that looked after the whole group really well. They are also the best people to ask questions as they are the experts when it comes to the student perspective.

First thing you do is gather in one of the drama studios and get a brief introduction to Drama St Mary's from the Lecturers. (Parents are more than welcome to sit in on this introductory talk).

After that the parents leave - and the students take part in a quick warm up / workshop.

The group then splits in half - 1 half will audition and the other will go for interviews.

The audition to my knowledge consists of a 2 min monologue (contemporary or classical).

The interview is your chance to tell the lecturers a little more about yourself and ask any questions you may have about the course.

The whole process is really relaxed - the lecturers want you to feel as comfortable as possible - your auditioning them just as much as they are you! Don't forget that!

If you have any further questions please let me know! :smile:

Christian
Reply 4

Hey! My names Hannah and I haven't attended St Marys but I wanted to let you know I did exactly what you did. I first applied for applied theatre and then decided to do straight drama. It's cool to meet a fellow applicant!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending