The Student Room Group

Received all my offers, best shot at IB?

Evening, I received my 5th and final offer today for economics and i'm can happily say that i'm over the moon about it. However, I'm interested in getting some advice/recommendations on what people think of theses places in terms of the uni and the course itself. So I've got Birmingham: Economics AAA or AABB Nottingham: Applied for econ but got offered Industrial Economics instead at AAB Sheffield: Economics AAB UEA: Economics (unconditional firm) AAB (insurance) Kent: Economics BBB My top two really are Birmingham and Nottingham as I've been to both and love them! Although happy to hear any other verdicts that people have on the others. Career wise, IB is the top goal, although we all know that competition is ridiculous; so have a secondary aspiration to work within Canary Wharf (big four or insurance etc) as I absolutely love it there. Anyway, what do you think that I should pick?
Reply 1
Nottingham by a fair bit over Kent, UEA, Sheffield. Well I'm from Nottingham myself and so far in the past 2 months we've had Blackrock, JPM, HSBC, Goldman Sachs, Fidelity, BP, RBS, Citi, Barclays, Deutsche, Morgan Stanley, ICAP coming down to give presentations etc. Fair bit of chance for you to network.
Reply 2
Original post by makrxx
Nottingham by a fair bit over Kent, UEA, Sheffield. Well I'm from Nottingham myself and so far in the past 2 months we've had Blackrock, JPM, HSBC, Goldman Sachs, Fidelity, BP, RBS, Citi, Barclays, Deutsche, Morgan Stanley, ICAP coming down to give presentations etc. Fair bit of chance for you to network.

Really? that's great! :biggrin:
My only worry would be is that will the fact the degree from there is industrial econ play a negative part?
Notts & Birmingham are fairly good choices (looking at my sw/summer classes, Notts seem to place consistently alright)
Original post by Tyler1409
Evening, I received my 5th and final offer today for economics and i'm can happily say that i'm over the moon about it. However, I'm interested in getting some advice/recommendations on what people think of theses places in terms of the uni and the course itself. So I've got Birmingham: Economics AAA or AABB Nottingham: Applied for econ but got offered Industrial Economics instead at AAB Sheffield: Economics AAB UEA: Economics (unconditional firm) AAB (insurance) Kent: Economics BBB My top two really are Birmingham and Nottingham as I've been to both and love them! Although happy to hear any other verdicts that people have on the others. Career wise, IB is the top goal, although we all know that competition is ridiculous; so have a secondary aspiration to work within Canary Wharf (big four or insurance etc) as I absolutely love it there. Anyway, what do you think that I should pick?

Notts by a large margin. Their finance society is sponsored by so many big names, they consistently place people into FO SWs/Internships and overall, the university is probably the best 'name brand' on your list.

Birmingham is pretty decent too. Not consistently as strong as Notts but still pretty good.

I'd insure whichever uni that'll allow you to do a placement year.

Also, people refer to the other sectors as 'The City' not Canary Wharf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
Notts by a large margin. Their finance society is sponsored by so many big names, they consistently place people into FO SWs/Internships and overall, the university is probably the best 'name brand' on your list.

Birmingham is pretty decent too. Not consistently as strong as Notts but still pretty good.

I'd insure whichever uni that'll allow you to do a placement year.

Also, people refer to the other sectors as 'The City' not Canary Wharf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cheers guys, I think i'll firm Nottingham then :biggrin: One final question though, will it matter that Nottingham is industrial econ over pure econ?
Reply 6
I did industrial econ at Notts for a month but then pulled out as I didn't like the course. Notts is such a reputable uni and lots of big companies come and visit. The course is quite narrow compared to the straight econ course. Lots of people enjoyed the course but I didn't. Make sure you look at the modules involved and if you'll be interested to sit them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyler1409
Ok cheers guys, I think i'll firm Nottingham then :biggrin: One final question though, will it matter that Nottingham is industrial econ over pure econ?

No.
Original post by rohan96
I did industrial econ at Notts for a month but then pulled out as I didn't like the course. Notts is such a reputable uni and lots of big companies come and visit. The course is quite narrow compared to the straight econ course. Lots of people enjoyed the course but I didn't. Make sure you look at the modules involved and if you'll be interested to sit them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This ^
Reply 9
Ok, thanks again, this advice has been of great help to me :smile:
Original post by rohan96

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you change to?
Yeah it's definitely worth looking into the modules covered on each of Nottingham and Birmingham's course. I would say if you like macroeconomics, you shouldn't pick Industrial Economics but if you're happy doing it then definitely go for it. The core modules are in microeconomics and maths, then the optionals are all from the business school so you can pick management, finance, marketing and accounting optional modules. Seems like a well-rounded course but yeah not one macro option so it depends on your preferences.

In general thought notts >>>>>> Brum for IB
Original post by BenRyan99
Yeah it's definitely worth looking into the modules covered on each of Nottingham and Birmingham's course. I would say if you like macroeconomics, you shouldn't pick Industrial Economics but if you're happy doing it then definitely go for it. The core modules are in microeconomics and maths, then the optionals are all from the business school so you can pick management, finance, marketing and accounting optional modules. Seems like a well-rounded course but yeah not one macro option so it depends on your preferences.

In general thought notts >>>>>> Brum for IB

Bsc Accounting finance & management or Bsc Industrial econ for IB?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending