The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

17 Year olds drinking at the Union?

Coming up to Edinburgh next year (hopefully) but will be 17 for a few months of uni. I know there's difficulties getting into clubs and whatnot but anybody know if the student union serves 17 year olds?
They don't serve 17 year olds but you can get in, get others to get your drinks for you
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
The union has a club night every saturday and some wednesdays called The Big Cheese and under 18's can get it but you will need other people to get drinks for you.

At the other union place, Teviot (which is where all the pubs are), you can go in anytime but again you'd need someone else to get drinks for you as the guy above me said.
Original post by Tirwin
Coming up to Edinburgh next year (hopefully) but will be 17 for a few months of uni. I know there's difficulties getting into clubs and whatnot but anybody know if the student union serves 17 year olds?

Original post by JCalexander
The union has a club night every saturday and some wednesdays called The Big Cheese and under 18's can get it but you will need other people to get drinks for you.

At the other union place, Teviot (which is where all the pubs are), you can go in anytime but again you'd need someone else to get drinks for you as the guy above me said.

You can easily get served at Prow tbh. They never check ID
Original post by Tirwin

How come you're going to be 17, I thought everyone was 18 by the time they went.
Original post by bethwalker85
How come you're going to be 17, I thought everyone was 18 by the time they went.

If you're Scottish it's pretty common to be 17.
Original post by langlitz
If you're Scottish it's pretty common to be 17.

Learn something new everyday!
Reply 7
hey just to answers this seeing I'm a bartender at the union. Most nights you will be able to get in, some night are over 18 only though, but mainly yes you can get in. no you cannot drink, we know people buying drinks for others etc but its pretty easy to spot who is and isn't over age as we use a wristband system and anybody with the wrong colour wristband cannot buyer drink alcohol. theres staff walking about the building quite often and if someone with the wrong/no wristband is seen drinking you'd get kicked out and possibly banned so not a great idea...just wait it out till you are 18 :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending