The Student Room Group

A few questions about using the clutch

I'm on about the 12th hour of my driving lessons. I'm learning new stuff like t junctions (left and right), crossroads, roundabouts. But, nearly every lesson I stall maybe 1-3 times (sometimes I have 1h lessons and sometimes 2h lessons).

Anyways, I normally stall when I need to stop at t junctions, crossroads, roundabouts, traffic lights, traffic queues etc.

1) What should I be doing when coming to a stop/slowing down int he aforementioned situations? I try to tap the brake, and slowly push in the clutch. And then when I need to stop, I'll fully push down the clutch and shift to gear 1.

2) But, what if I see an opportunity to go, and do not need to come to a complete stop? I'll let go of brake obviously, but what about the slightly pushed down clutch? Should I let that come up completely before pushing on the accelerator? Or should I accel then bring up the slightly pushed down clutch?

3) And, in situations where I need to go as soon as I stopped, what should I do? Eg. Brake+ clutch to gear 1 at the red light. But, then amber comes. How do people go so quickly? It takes me like 5 seconds, to push clutch > gear 1 > find bite, push for accelerator. People do it in like 1-2 seconds.

4) Digressing, I'm actually having trouble a lot of the time going from gear 2 to 3. I know it's a straight push up, but I always some how go to 1 or even 4 at times. And sometimes, I feel like's it's really hard, like it's blocking me from going from 2 to 3, and then end up in gear 1. Finally, the same thing goes from gear 3 down to gear 2. Should I bring the stick to neutral and then go to gear 2? Or should I push left on the stick and then down?

I'm driving with e-brake instead of a "hand-brake stick/lever".

I know I'm terrible at driving, but I really need some tips on how to overcome this. This is by far the biggest problems I am having so far, and cannot seem to bypass it.
1.) I always press the clutch down completely before braking. I know it might not be the actual way but I don't stall and I hate when that happens.

2.) The slightly pushed clutch won't matter, just let go and accelerate.

3.) It's all practice. You'll be able to do it within a second with time.

4.) If anyone at home has got a car, maybe practice gear shifting with the engine switched off. Try and practise everyday and I'm sure you'll get better.
1) When stopping, brake and then a bit before stopping you push the clutch pedal. Paktriot's way of always pressing the clutch when you brake is potentially DEADLY. It'll work in 30's, but if you're doing that on an NSL road or dual carriageway and you need to perform an emergency brake at those speeds, you're going to hit whatever you're trying to avoid.

Why is that? Engine braking.
When you brake and then push the clutch down before you stop, you have the engine and the brakes working to slow you down.
When you press both, you only have the brakes (and possibly a hill) stopping you.

The difference between the two is MASSIVE at higher speeds.

That being said, clutch and brake would be fine for going up a steep hill. Even just putting the clutch in (while applying a bit of pressure to the brake so the brake lights come on) would probably be fine going up a steep hill.

2) If you're in the right gear it shouldn't matter. Personally, I apply gas and bring it up (especially if I'm going slow). Just avoids a harsh ride.

3) Take as long as you need, stalling is only going to make that process longer. Not to mention people on the road will have plenty of experience and will be able to find the bite point of their car as if they've been doing all their life.
Also, people don't tend to drive by the book. A lot of people just don't use the handbrake if they don't need to.

I'm not sure if the examiners would like it, but I find that instructors tend to teach people to be stop and go drivers. You'd be better off slowing down before getting there and just rolling up to the car/light, only stopping if needed. Might not be something to do for your test, but it's something I'd do in your own car.

It's also a good way to fake out the drivers behind on hills. You look like you're going to stop further back than you are and the driver behind won't usually close that gap.

4) 2-3 - Let the stick centre then push it up
3-2 centre, left, down.
It'd be worth trying it out in someone's car (with their permission obviously) with the engine switched off.

It might be worth looking at this since you don't seem to be aware of which gear is where, which is rather concerning since this should've been covered in your first few lessons.
The car you're learning in may be slightly different, I'd just look at 1-5 since they're guaranteed to be the same

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending