The Student Room Group

Too far removed from serious academic endeavours?

Hi all

I am a 29 year old investment banker and will be applying for medicine next year (to matriculate in 2017). I graduated from a US uni in 2009 with a degree in business, but took several of the US pre-med courses, all of which I performed well in. I also have solid A level equivalents (but these will be 14 years old by the time I apply). I was accepted into Kings and Imperial as a graduate in 2010 but was deemed an international student (dual UK / US but hadn't spent long enough in the UK prior to applying), so I have spent the last few years working and saving.

I am confident about my ability to perform academically in medical school, and am sure I could earn a good score on the UKCAT and / or GAMSAT, but am worried if I just took the UKCAT schools may judge me a little too far removed from any serious academic activities, and may question my ability to deal with the academic demands of medical school. Is this worry unfounded?

I was planning on applying to Warwick, Southampton, and then Kings 5 year and maybe another 5 year, all of which would just require the UKCAT. Would I have a higher chance of getting a place if I took the GAMSAT also, and maybe applied to Warwick, Southampton, Swansea and Nottingham, for example? Or does this just not matter at all?

Thank you all!
I think most, if not all, the UKCAT schools stipulate you must have undertaken serious academic endeavours within 3 years of application. The GAMSAT ones take a pass score as evidence. I would contact admissions directly once this application cycle has calmed down to check your eligibility. Some UKCAT unis might also accept a strong GAMSAT score as sufficient but any invite to interview would be based on UKCAT score.
Reply 2
Original post by Quilverine
I think most, if not all, the UKCAT schools stipulate you must have undertaken serious academic endeavours within 3 years of application. The GAMSAT ones take a pass score as evidence. I would contact admissions directly once this application cycle has calmed down to check your eligibility. Some UKCAT unis might also accept a strong GAMSAT score as sufficient but any invite to interview would be based on UKCAT score.

Interesting, thanks. I know Cambridge and Newcastle both require that. But I haven't seen anything about it for most schools (including Bart's, Warwick, Southampton).
Why not send that message as an email to your chosen medical schools? I'd be surprised if most would make an issue about you graduating 6 years ago but asking explicitly might save a wasted application. Even if they all said you needed study within the last 3 years (this is probably unlawful as indirect discrimination on the basis of age - worth pursuing if your application is bounced for this reason), I would apply anyway. I find it hard to believe that someone will actually look through 1000+ applications to weed out people that graduated pre-2011. It might be a different issue if you graduated in the 1980s but who's really going to care about 2009?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending