The Student Room Group

Pharmacology student - can't decide on what to do next

Hey guys. I'm currently studying pharmacology as an undergrad in my third year. I figure it's probably quite a common thing but I'm worrying a lot about what course to apply for next after I graduate. I've heard a lot that further study in science is pretty important and I'm quite content going through with it, though I'm worried about being landed in a career that's unstable or that I don't enjoy.

In terms of what my interests are, the enviromental side of biology, which isn't really too relevant to my course, seems like a lot more of an interesting subject than the medical-based science stuff that I'm doing just now, which isn't so bad. It's quite interesting, but I wouldn't call it a real passion of mine. I'm quite a nature lover, I like to go out hiking and camping and stuff like that, so it seems to me like studying ecosystems or plants or something like that might be something I enjoy. It might just be a "grass is greener" thing though (no pun intended) since I haven't actually studyied this stuff since high school and I'm also worried that it might be hard getting work or funding in this route since medical science is more important to the general public than nature science.

In terms of what I want from a job, I'm the same as a lot of science students I think. I'd like something that pays a reasonable amount. I don't care about being too rich. I just want enough to fund hobbies, eventually get a house, travel every now and again, that sort of thing. I'd of course like something I'm interested in enough that I enjoy my work. And of course, I'd be happy with any of the typical good things like getting oppertunities to travel and being able to work outside.

So, here's my thoughts on some options.

Masters in Toxicology. Seems an interesting enough subject to me. I've read that there's a few routes you can go down as a toxicologist, so it feels like it could allow a little flexibility in career path. I'm particularily interested in enviromental toxicology.

Postgrad (or Masters if possible?) in enviromental science or ecology. I'm not sure this is smart for the reasons I've mentioned.

Something else? Could be something closer to the medical side I guess. Perhaps there's good jobs there that I'd be alright in. I'm quite open to any suggestions really!
You are in a bit of a difficult situation but chin up. You have some thinking to do before you make a decision and make sure you do your research well.

You are right that medical or biomedical research is easier to get funding for but there are plenty of organisations that fund ecological research and conservation work. But with that field be prepared to potentially do a lot of travelling and moving around, maybe some unpaid work to get experience and generally be on top of what's hot in the field (which is actually true for any research).

In terms of your options, personally, I'd go down the toxicology route. The other thing maybe to consider is food science and nutrition.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending