The Student Room Group

University is making me more ill.

I currently study Drama at university. a house mate betrayed me. I was already diagnosed with depression and anxiety (medicated) before coming to uni, but it since got worst. I was put back on a beta blocker which I can no longer take. I've had 3 chest infections including a diagnosis of Asthma. In the mean time I've missed lectures, with only a week yet I'm the illest I've ever been since being here. I have missed script rehearsals, so I asked my tutor for an extension, he said it cannot be granted. Now I'm in a hall which is not hygienic and making me suffer more. My doctor won't disclose info to the uni to get mental health support because he feels my mental health issues are not longing. I really feel lost and trapped. I've tried speaking to the uni and my doctors both keep passing me around.

Advice anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you tried speaking to the disability services at uni?
I'd insist on drs and your course leaders to take you more seriously. It might be uncomfortable but if you go into the detail to them that you have on here it would be shocking if they didn't respond accordingly.

I did a drama degree when my mental health was crap through some of it. Because I was using the university counselling service they wrote a supporting letter to help me apply for special circumstances. I didn't request extensions but I did request that my exam papers be marked mind fully so that if I were to fail them there would at least be some understanding.

As for practical work, it's so hard to get that sorted when struggling with mental health. At our uni we were able to take units from other courses so I would often select more theory based units from history or philosophy to save me having to engage with people doing practical work.

I'm rambling. I recommend insisting to the relevant people that you are not well. Make it abundantly clear to them. They need to take you seriously because it's their blummin job to do so. Also I would recommend checking out your university counselling service. They tend to be more accessible than getting counselling on the nhs.

Wishing you well.
You know actually I want you to change doctors. Yours sounds dismissive of his handling of the problem. Get a new doctor because there's chance enough that your current one sounds like a bloody dinosaur on the mental health front .
Hi! I have numerous health conditions and some experiences of discrimination against my own disabilities. I am also a Disabled Students' Officer at City University, so I hope that I can help you in any way that I can.

I can completely understand how you must be feeling. It's really frustrating when university and doctors are not listening to you, they can almost make you feel like it's all in your head. I can tell you that it's absolutely not. I have various health conditions and I had received shocking treatment from both university and previous doctors. Just because someone is in a profession does not mean that they have the authority to take you any less seriously than anybody else.

Change your doctor as soon as you can. I cannot tell you how many doctors I have seen that ended up being totally useless - but this is only because I have a very complicated medical history that not a lot of people understand. But please don't let this put you off.. you would be surprised how easy it can be to find an understanding doctor. Your current doctor is not the right one for you, because it seems to be that he is not taking you seriously enough and it absolutely is not acceptable.

Regarding university, did your tutor explain why the extension was not granted? Under the Equality Act 2010, a disability is defined as a "physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.". Provided that you have made the university aware of the difficulties you have to face and further evidence (such as a doctors letter) then it is against the law to deny you any reasonable adjustments. However, I understand that you don't have a doctors letter because he feels your mental issues are not longing. This is why it is so important to change your doctor asap so that you can get a letter. Although, this should not stop the university from providing you temporary adjustments. If your tutor is not understanding, then speak to somebody else within the university and explain your situation. They should provide you this extension for the time being as long as you promise to get the evidence as soon as you can.

If you have any questions about anything, please do not hesitate to give me a message. I will always be happy to help in any way that I can. This is one of the many problems that I am campaigning for.

Quick Reply

Latest