The Student Room Group

Network rail graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parinaz1993
Yeah they probably did! I think I applied for South East, but I am happy with going anywhere :smile: umm I still have other applications going, but I thought I had a higher chance of getting this scheme! Majorly disappointed though… was this your first choice?

It is my first choice in the sense that I think I'd enjoy it the most however I have another assessment centre tomorrow which is a lot more prestigious. I would love to know what % of people progress from the reserve list to a definite place. Would also be nice if we were told where on the list we are. I am gutted though to be fair and I thought I'd done really well 😞
Original post by MaltaOllie
Just had an email half an hour ago- put me on the waiting list. No idea what chances that gives me. If anyone knows I'd be grateful for the info!

I just got an email too for the waiting list, but I'm pretty sure I won't be having a chance with them if they put so many people on the waiting list!

I'm also on the waiting list. I almost wonder if they've not given any offers and just put everyone on the waiting list!

I think they said on Satutday that the chances are quite good. I guess a fair number of people choose to go somewhere else. And because offers come with a location attached, they can't just over-offer knowing that some will not take it, because they don't know which locations are the ones for which people won't take it.

It is my first choice in the sense that I think I'd enjoy it the most however I have another assessment centre tomorrow which is a lot more prestigious. I would love to know what % of people progress from the reserve list to a definite place. Would also be nice if we were told where on the list we are. I am gutted though to be fair and I thought I'd done really well 😞
Agree with the thoughts about a percentage and where on the list.

What is tomorrow's AC for?
Original post by fluteflute
I'm also on the waiting list. I almost wonder if they've not given any offers and just put everyone on the waiting list!

I think they said on Satutday that the chances are quite good. I guess a fair number of people choose to go somewhere else. And because offers come with a location attached, they can't just over-offer knowing that some will not take it, because they don't know which locations are the ones for which people won't take it.

Yeah I read somewhere that a few people didn't accept their offers! Just have to hope for the best I guess :smile: does anyone know how many people from Saturday will get offered a definite place?
Yeah I read somewhere that a few people didn't accept their offers! Just have to hope for the best I guess :smile: does anyone know how many people from Saturday will get offered a definite place?

No idea but I'd love to know. It would be interesting to know how they structure their decisions.
When you say people didn't accept offers are you referring to previous years?
Were you at the morning or afternoon AC on Saturday?

My hopes too are that we are all on the waiting list. If we all are then it means I am no worse off than before I got the email. But if they've made offers and 3/3 of us are all on the waiting list does not bode well for our chances!
I will message you tomorrow's AC - keeping my cards in great proximity to my chest!
No idea but I'd love to know. It would be interesting to know how they structure their decisions.
When you say people didn't accept offers are you referring to previous years?
Were you at the morning or afternoon AC on Saturday?

I'm referring to applicants from previous years. I have no idea what it will be like this year :/ I was at the AM session, and only 19 showed up, so I thought I would have had a better chance but sadly not... Can't believe that the three of us got put on the waiting list!
I'm referring to applicants from previous years. I have no idea what it will be like this year :/ I was at the AM session, and only 19 showed up, so I thought I would have had a better chance but sadly not... Can't believe that the three of us got put on the waiting list!

I was at the AM session too (I was the good looking one). Do you know how many places there are available? Presuming there was also 20ish for the afternoon sessions then that would make 40 competing for X places...
I was at the AM session too (I was the good looking one). Do you know how many places there are available? Presuming there was also 20ish for the afternoon sessions then that would make 40 competing for X places...

There were only nine of us at the Coventry afternoon session. But I understand there have also been one or two sessions in other locations (i.e. further North).
There were only nine of us at the Coventry afternoon session. But I understand there have also been one or two sessions in other locations (i.e. further North).

Only 9?!? I am honesty shocked! An assessor told me there would be 24 in the morning and 24 in the afternoon! Also a graduate told me that they'll take about half of the applicants from the AC. You mentioned before that you have another offer, are you just going to take that?
Reply 49
For Finance, they had 12 in the morning & they said they expected another 12 in the afternoon.

But Finance only has 7 places.
Only 9?!? I am honesty shocked! An assessor told me there would be 24 in the morning and 24 in the afternoon! Also a graduate told me that they'll take about half of the applicants from the AC. You mentioned before that you have another offer, are you just going to take that?

I'd love to know how many places there are per location for general management. Also would be good to know how many people are on hold and how many have offers.
It would be interesting if somebody with an offer for general management comments on here.
I'd love to know how many places there are per location for general management. Also would be good to know how many people are on hold and how many have offers.
It would be interesting if somebody with an offer for general management comments on here.

Yeah so would I! With only 9 people coming in for the PM session I thought more people would have been given an offer... Yeah hopefully someone who got an offer comments! I wish I had asked how many people they wanted to hire
Yeah so would I! With only 9 people coming in for the PM session I thought more people would have been given an offer... Yeah hopefully someone who got an offer comments! I wish I had asked how many people they wanted to hire

I wonder if it's possible that everyone is placed on hold to prevent everyone calling to ask for a decision...?
I wonder if it's possible that everyone is placed on hold to prevent everyone calling to ask for a decision...?

That is a possibility! But it's only been 3 days, so I don't think anyone would be calling yet... I think they might consider having another assessment centre because so few turned up for the one on Saturday, and that's why so many people are on the waiting list?
(edited 8 years ago)
That is a possibility! But it's only been 3 days, so I don't think anyone would be calling yet... I think they might consider having another assessment centre because so few turned up for the one on Saturday, and that's why so many people are on the waiting list?

Maybe... It's so frustrating! I honestly though I did well. I know I didn't performing perfectly but I felt I met all the criteria well! It's so difficult as well because if we have other offers then how long do we hold out...!?
Reply 55
Maybe... It's so frustrating! I honestly though I did well. I know I didn't performing perfectly but I felt I met all the criteria well! It's so difficult as well because if we have other offers then how long do we hold out...!?

I applied for the engineering scheme and was also placed on the reserve list. It is indeed frustrating as I also thought I did really well. I know someone who was made an offer and was expected to inform them within a week if he wants to accept the offer . So, some people will refuse the offer within a few weeks while others will accept and then withdraw later on the line.

It also says on their email that it might take them till very close to Sept before they can confirm if they will make you an offer or not. So better concentrate on other offers and hope for the best with NR. It is now down to your luck .
(edited 8 years ago)

They said in our introductory session that there are 12,000 applicants, that 1 in 15 get to assessment centre, and there are 200 places. If true, that means 800 interviewed, so one quarter of those getting a place. I don't really trust those figures though :tongue:

Yeah I think I may well take it.
Original post by Meia
I applied for the engineering scheme and was also placed on the reserve list. It is indeed frustrating as I also thought I did really well. I know someone who was made an offer and was expected to inform them within a week if he wants to accept the offer . So, some people will refuse the offer within a few weeks while others will accept and then withdraw later on the line.

It also says on their email that it might take them till very close to Sept before they can confirm if they will make you an offer or not. So better concentrate on other offers and hope for the best with NR. It is now down to your luck .

Do you know how many people got put on the waiting list for engineering?
Reply 58
Do you know how many people got put on the waiting list for engineering?

NO,but I am still in touch with two as I added them to my facebook when we met, one was made an offer while the second got rejected.
(edited 8 years ago)
They said in our introductory session that there are 12,000 applicants, that 1 in 15 get to assessment centre, and there are 200 places. If true, that means 800 interviewed, so one quarter of those getting a place. I don't really trust those figures though :tongue:

Yeah I think I may well take it.

Of course, these calculations assume that there equal proportions of applicants for each line to the number of places per line.

Quick Reply

Latest