The Student Room Group

Success at AS... Failing at A2

So at AS I got a very high A and found it a breeze! I'm now in A2 and I've been getting Ds, I think this may be because I'm doing maths and bio (and Chem last year) which aren't essay subjects so that's my down fall. How can I turn this into success? I structure my essays as writing AO1, then a block of AO2 with IDA points where I can. I tend to only use research evidence as evaluation, so like studies which support and go against the theory then I evaluate the research on how valid it is for the theory. Is that enough evaluation or do I need to be bringing in general evaluation points about the theory itself? really feeling so low about it!
Original post by bethygirl
So at AS I got a very high A and found it a breeze! I'm now in A2 and I've been getting Ds, I think this may be because I'm doing maths and bio (and Chem last year) which aren't essay subjects so that's my down fall. How can I turn this into success? I structure my essays as writing AO1, then a block of AO2 with IDA points where I can. I tend to only use research evidence as evaluation, so like studies which support and go against the theory then I evaluate the research on how valid it is for the theory. Is that enough evaluation or do I need to be bringing in general evaluation points about the theory itself? really feeling so low about it!

If your struggling with essays at A2 I would highly recommend the Loopa Psychology ebooks - they really have made a difference to a lot of students. You can use the A* essays in there as a guide so you know how to hit the top bands - just adapt and use elements from there to improve your own technique.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bethygirl

I'm going to guess that you're with AQA as are the majority of TSR users who study psychology

There is a clear distinction between marking at AS level and at A2 level, that is to say that it is "harder" to get the marks at A2, it requires more detail and more effort.

I'm with Edexcel so my tips may not be 100% useful but they should be in general. In our A2 exams, we have two 12 mark essays in the one, one 12 mark and one 18 mark essay in the other (on top of many shorter questions). The essays are marked using scales, so essentially 6 AO1 and 6 AO2 points may not be sufficient for 12 marks. Other things are considered, such as the balance between both assessment objectives.

As for evaluation, to be placed in the top band on the scale you need to consider a wide range of issues. We use certain acronyms to help us with this, you may have come across some of them, you may not. When evaluating studies, we use GRAVE: generalisability, reliability, application, validity, ethics. For theories we use S(C)ODA: supporting research, (criticism), opposing research, different theory, application. Lastly, for treatments we use DESSERT: different treatment, expense, side-effects, supporting research, ethics and social control, reason, time.

Drawing on these acronyms allows us to look at things from different angles and means that we can get a range of evaluative points in our answers. If the marking scale for your essays are the same as ours, which they should be, then just using research evidence in evaluation won't be enough to secure you top marks.

If you're not with Edexcel then I can't help you with structuring essays, you'll need to ask your teachers for help, after all that's what they're paid for. You should go and see them after lesson, at my college there are set times where each teacher runs 'workshops' for students to come along and get help, ask questions, get work marked etc.

If on the off chance you are with Edexcel then I can help you a lot more in terms of essay structure and other things, otherwise that's all I can think of sorry.

Good luck and try your best to keep up with all of the content, making notes as you go along and revising these continually, and start thinking about preparing yourself to revise for the mock exams which, if you haven't already done them, may well be in January :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending