The Student Room Group

A Muslim Anti-ISIS March Took Place Sunday 6/12/15 in Central London. Who knew?

Poll

Did you know about this?

Hundreds of (Shia) Muslim Pilgrims attended this cultural commemoration, many of them taking the opportunity to protest against ISIS | Source

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course Shia will protest against ISIS, no news here
Reply 2
Hardly a big protest, cant even get many people to join them
This is the first I'm hearing about it. i know Muslims have spoken out against Isis several times,which is good because there's people out there who complain Muslims aren't doing enough,hopefully they pipe down now.
Original post by demx9
Of course Shia will protest against ISIS, no news here

I'm sure Sunnis have too in the past,all Muslims
Drop in the Ocean

But small steps as they say.
Reply 6
Didn't know about this since it wasn't plastered all over the news (not surprised)
Original post by saxsan4
Hardly a big protest, cant even get many people to join them

Can anyone ever win?
Shias are not considered Muslims by IS, and are one of their main victims, so of course they would protest against IS. I'd like to see Sunni Muslims protest against them.
If you look at the banners the message is

ISIS is nothing to do with us

it isn't explicitly anti-ISIS

I really don't see the point
Saying terrorism has no religion isn't anti-ISIS it's basically just saying, Christians and Atheist and Jews and Hindus are also terrorists.
Original post by RulesforRadicals
Saying terrorism has no religion isn't anti-ISIS it's basically just saying, Christians and Atheist and Jews and Hindus are also terrorists.

Erm, no, it's not...
Original post by abruiseonthesky
Erm, no, it's not...

If you can't be bothered to debate stop quoting me
Original post by hoping4Astars
Shias are not considered Muslims by IS, and are one of their main victims, so of course they would protest against IS. I'd like to see Sunni Muslims protest against them.

Aren't the Kurds who are on the front lines against ISIS mostly Sunni? :erm:
Reply 14

I don't get this either, what do you mean ?
Original post by demx9
I don't get this either, what do you mean ?

'Terrorism has no religion'

Has one of two meanings

It either means that terrorism is not specific to any religion

or that those who are terrorists cannot be religious

Either way, it is not an anti-ISIS slogan so much as it is an abdication of responsibility.
'Terrorism has no religion'

Has one of two meanings

It either means that terrorism is not specific to any religion

or that those who are terrorists cannot be religious

Either way, it is not an anti-ISIS slogan so much as it is an abdication of responsibility.

No, I think what 'terrorism is not specific to any religion' means that no religion or belief promotes terrorism. Yeah and of course it's an abdication of responsibility. Muslims want people to know they have nothing to do with ISIS.
Original post by Lord Samosa

Yes.

This highlights a major issue in the West.

Most people who directly fight against Daesh are Muslim and most people who are killed in Daesh attacks are also Muslim, these people who see it first hand know that Daesh is evil, but it's easy if you live in the West to get a romanticised idea of this pure Islamic State and if your life in the UK is tough, you might get that grass is greener mentality.

Loads of Muslims from the West have gone to live in Islamic State, realised how awful it is and when they try to escape are killed as traitors. Another example is Muslims who think the West in sinful go to Saudi unaware of the drug and prostitution use among the wealthy ruling classes, as well as the gay hook-up culture in Riyadh.

EDIT: For the record, even though I'm not gay, I fully support gay hook-up culture, it's just not very Islamic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nerdygeek101
No, I think what 'terrorism is not specific to any religion' means that no religion or belief promotes terrorism. Yeah and of course it's an abdication of responsibility. Muslims want people to know they have nothing to do with ISIS.

So it is less about fighting ISIS and is more PR?
Reply 19
Original post by Lord Samosa

Many are Alevi.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending